Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).

Issues at CPA Australia needing investigation and/or review.
Better Call Saul

Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).

Post by Better Call Saul » Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Some bright spark CPA member has registered a freedom of information request with Sydney University. i wish the member well and hope he/she finds an interesting set of disclosure items our Board failed to disclose.

Sydney Uni FOI Acknowledgement 2017-6719 Re CPA.pdf
(244.35 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

Any suggestions as to which University this intrepid member should write to next? Macquarie Uni ?

Heisenberg

Re: Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act).

Post by Heisenberg » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Better Call Saul wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 3:55 pm
Some bright spark CPA member has registered a freedom of information request with Sydney University. i wish the member well and hope he/she finds an interesting set of disclosure items our Board failed to disclose.

Sydney Uni FOI Acknowledgement 2017-6719 Re CPA.pdf

Any suggestions as to which University this intrepid member should write to next? Macquarie Uni ?
Thanks to whoever did that!

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Thu May 18, 2017 4:53 pm

[quote=Any suggestions as to which University this intrepid member should write to next? Macquarie Uni ?
[/quote]

I think Sydney university are going to get mightily fed up with us lot as I lodged one yesterday by mail including the $30 cheque required as an application fee. Maquarie Graduate school of management have also received an application. Lets see what crawls out of the woodwork.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu May 18, 2017 4:58 pm

No problems with Sydney Uni and Mac Uni getting a couple overlapping requests. It should be easy for them. Probably sit and wait and see what we get unless someone has an idea bout another uni to try. Wouldn't there be some in Melbourne?
The Naked Webmaster

Sunkcost

Post by Sunkcost » Thu May 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Top work!

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am

I've just had confirmation from both Sydney and Maquarie uni's that my requests under FOI have been received and will be reviewed and considered. Along with the other FOI sent to Sydney Uni it will be intriguing to discover if there are any links between the main players at CPAA and the information asked for that should contain " the annual amount of any payments" from CPAA, "and a brief overview about what the payments were made for and which academic or other representatives or employees of the university benefited from such payments"

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 am

I think RMIT have received an FOI from a member of the forum.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm

I received a reply from Macquarie Uni re my FOI request. Not much has come out of it apart from the usual support of Careers fairs, prizes for accounting graduates, sponsorships of accounting and research conferences and a few minor grants for research projects to academic staff none of whom seem to be connected to CPAA , and the support for a unnamed CPAA employee undertaking an MBA to the value of 24k. I will attempt to find out who that person is but no smoking gun of conflict appears here.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:07 pm
I received a reply from Macquarie Uni re my FOI request. Not much has come out of it apart from the usual support of Careers fairs, prizes for accounting graduates, sponsorships of accounting and research conferences and a few minor grants for research projects to academic staff none of whom seem to be connected to CPAA , and the support for a unnamed CPAA employee undertaking an MBA to the value of 24k. I will attempt to find out who that person is but no smoking gun of conflict appears here.
Any chance you could post the reply you received? Make sure you remove your personal details first...

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am

Heisenberg wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:52 pm
Any chance you could post the reply you received? Make sure you remove your personal details first...
Here is a copy- I've also hidden the names of the academic staff at the uni as none of them appear to be connected to CPAA and I don't think its fair to bring them into the firing line of criticism.
Please note that Macquarie University does not comment on individual matters pertaining to current or former employees. Mr Malley's employment with the University concluded more than 10 years ago. The University continues to maintain its longstanding relationship with the CPA, of which Mr Malley is currently Chief Executive.

International Governance and Performance Research Centre (2011-2015)
The International Governance and Performance Research Centre (IGAP) was launched at Macquarie University in February 2011 to provide a research platform for addressing contemporary issues in international governance and performance. CPA Australia provided a yearly sponsorship of $75,000 for 5 years (2011-2015). The sponsorship was for undertaking specified activities such as the IGAP/CPA public lectures, IGAP/CPA annual forum and publication work.

In 2014, CPA Australia contributed $20,000 to a research project of IGAP (also funded by Safe Work Australia and the Safety Institute of Australia Ltd) led by Dr XXXXXXXXXX titled “The Role of Accounting in Work Health and Safety Governance”.

CPA’s Global Research Perspectives Funding
In 2012, Associate Professor XXXXXXXXXX of the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance was the recipient of a research grant from CPA’s Global Research Perspectives Fund in the amount of $15,612 (paid in instalments from 2011-2012) for the following research: “Organisational Justice and Trust in the Design of Management Control Systems in Interorganisational Relationships: A Study of Australian Listed Domestic Firms”.

This year, Dr XXXXXXXXX of the same department was awarded a grant of $15,000 to be paid in instalments for the following research: “Deterrent Effects of Disclosure Regulation Enforcements”. To date, only $2,000 of this amount has been disbursed.

Macquarie University Work Experience Expo
In 2012, CPA Australia paid $250 to the university for its attendance at Macquarie’s Work Experience Expo.

Macquarie University Careers Fair
CPA Australia has paid the following amounts to attend Macquarie’s Career Fair.

Year
Semester One
Semester Two
$300
$300
$495
$317
$330
$300
$320
$400
$300
n/a

Macquarie University Graduate Recruitment Fair
In 2012, CPA Australia paid $250 to the university for its attendance at the Macquarie Graduate Recruitment Fair.

CPA Accounting Prize
From 2013-2016, CPA Australia donated $1,500 to the university for a CPA prize to be awarded for 100, 200 and 300 level accounting subjects ($500 each).

CPA Global Research Perspective Program Project Grant
CPA’s Global Research Perspective Program granted $25,000 to Dr XXXXXXXXXX of the Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance for a project titled “Australia-China Business in the Asian Century”.

Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research Conference 2015
CPA Australia provided a $10,000 sponsorship to the university for hosting the 2015 Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research Conference.

Macquarie University Graduate School of Management (MGSM)
CPA Australia and MGSM sponsor an employee of CPA Australia to complete their MBA at the MGSM. CPA and MGSM each pay half of the tuition fees. The student commenced their study in 2016 and to date CPA has paid $12,375 (total fees being $24,750) to MGSM.

Macquarie Career Boot Camp
The Department of Accounting and Corporate Governance and CPA Australia organise a boot camp for Macquarie accounting students. The boot camp is designed to highlight the importance of employability and to support students in developing a plan to build their employability skills.

Macquarie received $10,189 from CPA in May 2017 for venue and catering costs and has invoiced CPA for another $7,309.
It will be interesting to see what comes back from the University of Sydney which I have been informed will be around the 3rd of July.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Again no smoking gun from my FOI request in relation to CPAA and payments to the University of Sydney.
6892 Documents for release 1.pdf
(86.05 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Yeas but we had to check. Someone else also did a FOI to Sydney Uni and got a couple other interesting bit's of info. I'll ask them to post it here.
The Naked Webmaster