Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Royalties and other payments - The Naked CEO book

Issues at CPA Australia needing investigation and/or review.
Paul

Royalties and other payments - The Naked CEO book

Post by Paul » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Can we ask for a disclosure from the Board as to whether any other monies flow to ALex Malley from his work in writing and publicizing that book???

Or is it simply an ego trip for Alex, services performed for free????

Jfa220854

Re: Royalties and other payments - The Naked CEO book

Post by Jfa220854 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Agree. Now that the surface has been raked I wonder if there are other hidden benefits not being reported? Reimbursements, entertainment, travel?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:02 pm

They have stated that the royalties go to CPA Australia. This is consistent with what you'd expect as the copyright in the course of employment in the absence of an agreement to the contrary goes to the employer.

I'm more concerned that so much is spent promoting the book that it does not make a profit. Also concerned that it is actually poor quality and I've only seen a few things here, but I am concerned that it makes CPAs look bad because of this.

Somehow this book got endorsed by some big names including the current Commissioner of Taxation and head of ASIC.
The Naked Webmaster

kissofjudas

Post by kissofjudas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:40 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:02 pm
They have stated that the royalties go to CPA Australia. This is consistent with what you'd expect as the copyright in the course of employment in the absence of an agreement to the contrary goes to the employer.

I'm more concerned that so much is spent promoting the book that it does not make a profit. Also concerned that it is actually poor quality and I've only seen a few things here, but I am concerned that it makes CPAs look bad because of this.

Somehow this book got endorsed by some big names including the current Commissioner of Taxation and head of ASIC.
nakedadmin is right. Is The Naked CEO book a profitable project for CPA Australia? Can we get any financial disclosure on this in isolation? And we don't want to hear their usual bulls**t if it is making a loss. It's not good enough that it is a "branding" exercise that will reap billions of dollars sometime in the future from new members, sponsors, etc. Just the figures without the spin. Considering their current track record with CPAA's massive losses and ridiculous explanations, why would we expect this book to be a profitable venture?

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm

The Naked CEO book is a massive loss maker.

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:42 am

Better Call Saul wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm
The Naked CEO book is a massive loss maker.
Quote your sources?

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm

I'll ask Adam Awty and he will email me back the figures. Won't take long. No wonder it's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.
The only people buying the book are CPA Australia themselves and they can't give them away. Is the book a text recommended by a university yet?
I was working on the basis it was a rubbish juvenile load of crap nobody would buy. In fact a copy has been bought. I know who bought it. Because it was bought we can do a review. Better get a bucket. You are going to start seeing the book chapter by chapter very soon with analysis of it's sacred teachings. The musings of a bloke who hasn't run a sausage sizzle.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 am

Better Call Saul wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:18 pm
The musings of a bloke who hasn't run a sausage sizzle.
Lol.

Yes I have a copy and will be starting a review. I am concerned that this book is so bad that it will make CPAs look bad in general.

But really you know I have an open mind to this. You have to consider that this is written for young people i.e. uni and new grads I think. I am not so young but I want to see that young people get good advice when it has the CPA name on it.

I could also learn something from this book and get something positive out of it. I'm a little worried I could get brainwashed.

So far I have just bought the book. I noted that it's endorsed by Greg Medcraft and Chris Jordan.

I was not expecting to see Alex's family photos in there. I was surprising to see his parents wedding photo!!!
The Naked Webmaster

2Pot Screama

Post by 2Pot Screama » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:11 pm

I bought the book years ago just out of morbid curiosity. It is terrible. There are no new ideas in it. It is simply a collation of existing concepts from popular business self-help books.

The guy is a salesman - nothing more. Always has been. Always will be. It is almost criminal that he has gotten away with it for so long and squeezed so much cash out of us.
OOOOOOHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:17 am

The Board should be forced to detail to members the benefits to CPAA from the book against its costs.

I agree the book is a total embarrassment from a former academic with no real business experience!