Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

What do members think of "InTheBlack" magazine?

Issues at CPA Australia needing investigation and/or review.
JWheldon

What do members think of "InTheBlack" magazine?

Post by JWheldon » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Have been reading else where, that so many members really don't like the CPA Australia magazine "InTheBlack". Members get the magazine and throw it straight into the rubbish bin. I don't even like the name, as it sounds so offensive or politically incorrect.

It would be interesting to hear from members as thoughts about the magazine, which has little relevance to the accounting industry anymore. Even the President's monthly contribution, is a waste of time. There are more adverts, then actual articles, and lots on ethics which appear to be articles from one highly paid CPA Australia employee. Hear so many members, both young and old, over the years complain about this so called accountants magazine. CPA Australia and Jeff Hughes appear to blinded to the idea that many members do not like the current incarnation of this so called accountants magazine. If the members view their opinion, then maybe Jeff and Adam, when they read the members view on this site, may finally wake up and do something.

Well, shall just have to wait and see.

Magnet

Re: What do members think of "InTheBlack" magazine?

Post by Magnet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:02 am

I have about 4 years worth of magazines, still in their plastic wrapping sitting in a cupboard!

I've read the online version for a while but its full of puff pieces and advertising. No real content that provides useful information to accountants in the real world.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

I have to admit I do read Neale Blackwoods Excel articles each month as an educational exercise to pick up tricks and tips on areas of excel that I may not be familiar with.

However the rest of it is pure fluff and lifestyle crap which goes straight in the recycling bin along with all the other junk mail to clogs up the letterbox.

incitem3

Post by incitem3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:36 am

I would like to comment that I am a US CPA in addition to being a Aus CPA. The americans have a magazine called the "Journal of Accountancy" and I look forward to receiving this as it has mostly articles on recent tax cases, use of technology, recruitment and issues concerning pubic practices. I should also add that the annual membership dues are less than half of what we pay here in Australia.
The "In the Black" magazine articles seems to favour the cult of the elite individual most of who are not even CPA members and what great things they are doing. This appears to be part of the initiatives set by our recently dismissed CEO Alex Malley and board to examine and portray how great it is to be a famous elite person and wow look at how great we are. The articles seem to say you ordinary unwashed masses of mere accountants toiling in the trenches should bow your balding heads, look down at your unpolished shoes and aspire to be better than you are. The InTheBlack rag is basically a display of elite lily guilding puffery.

I support cancelling the magazine and dropping the fees a $100/year. The editors of this magazine need to drop the elitism give us something of value if they are to continue.

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am

As an accounting journal for its members (who are accountants), it has gone backwards. Compare the current content to what was in the monthly journal back in the 80s and 90s, when I actually read the thing from cover to cover. It now has nothing to do with accounting. It's all leadership (whatever that means) and feel-good life stories you'd find in New Idea or Woman's Day, or the Weekend AFR magazine.

I go to the back, read the Excel article, and toss it. I occasionally read the letters to the editor at the front.

cpasteve

Post by cpasteve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm

When they gave free CPD hours (1.5 hours per month) for doing an online test on the magazine I read it (skimmed for the answers), but since they started charging for that I haven't taken it out of the plastic. Although I do try to read the InPractice when it comes.

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Red_Ferrari wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am
As an accounting journal for its members (who are accountants), it has gone backwards. Compare the current content to what was in the monthly journal back in the 80s and 90s, when I actually read the thing from cover to cover. It now has nothing to do with accounting. It's all leadership (whatever that means) and feel-good life stories you'd find in New Idea or Woman's Day, or the Weekend AFR magazine.

I go to the back, read the Excel article, and toss it. I occasionally read the letters to the editor at the front.
The same, I read the excel article, cut it out then toss the rest.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Here is a link to the online version. https://www.intheblack.com/topics/accounting. You can look at the topics and then select the information you want. The paper version generates revenue for CPA Australia for the advertisements.

For example, here is a link to the excel examples, which have video's to show you how it use it in excel.

https://www.intheblack.com/topics/excel

Jeff Hughes, and the other managers should read the comments. Then let the members in the annual subscription have a choice, the online version, the paper version or no version at all and save some money. The funds saved could be used for more effective programs. The management team are not really proactive at CPA Australia, because they send all those rubbish emails about education courses, but could have emailed members about the online version and increased the articles and members engagement. Maybe that idea is too easy? They have indicated they spend a lot of money on published the magazine.

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Yes, "Publication "In The Black", CPA Update and CPA Tax News for 2016 was $4.7million."

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Only about 5 percent (if that) is worth reading. The rest of it is useless globalist crap.

There are only so many articles on 'diversity', 'equality' and other such nonsense that I can stomach.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm

JWheldon wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm
The management team are not really proactive at CPA Australia, because they send all those rubbish emails about education courses, but could have emailed members about the online version and increased the articles and members engagement.
I get a regular email from/about InTheBlack with links to the articles.

cpacpa45years

Post by cpacpa45years » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Useless.Hardly any accounting or tax practical topics .Printer laughing.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 pm

Thought the members would finds this from the AFR interesting about INTHEBLACK
http://www.afr.com/opinion/letters-to-t ... 128-h0pimj

Opinion dated 28 January 2018 - AFR

"by Letters
Where was Macquarie Uni in CPA Australia debacle?

The Australian Financial Review's excellent account (January 25-28) of CPA's year of disaster and the subsequent whitewash has again reminded CPA members of how their interests were betrayed by the association's leadership over successive years.

This may have been prevented if requests for disclosure were heeded.

Macquarie University, a bastion of free speech, failed and refused to inform inquirers about the breaches and misdeeds of its staff, especially Alex Malley. It gagged Malley's contemporaries from speaking out right from the time Malley became president and subsequently CEO.

In The Black, CPA members' monthly professional journal, did not carry articles and letters seeking explanations of the direction and policies of CPA. Their editorial committee, made up of CPA and Bauer Media executives, in the period 2016 and 2017, did not accept items including the questioning of CPA strategies and leadership as well as its governance and transparency practices. True to form, the February 2018 issue carries not one word of the resignations and turmoil of 2017!

If Macquarie, which ironically has a research centre on governance, and In The Black had raised these matters, perhaps the millions of dollars of members' contributions would not have disappeared down the drain of self-promotion, leadership remuneration and the follies, local and international.

Roger Juchau

Balmain, NSW"

Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/letters-to-t ... z58kIdiXQO
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

perthcpa

Post by perthcpa » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm

Most CPA's I know never read it; it goes straight into the waste paper basket. The problem is IntheBlack is almost like a tabloid magazine - great if you are in doctor's surgery awaiting your turn not so good if you are at work and want to limit your reading to high value content. In my view CPA Australia is an organisation with a history of not listening to its membership so one assumes they will not be dealing with the level of irrelevant content appearing Intheblack any time soon. At a minimum members should be given the option of declining IntheBlack as part of their annual membership renewal. Despite the obvious cost savings to Australia CPA of doing such a thing, you can understand, that the CPA board would worry that the poor old IntheBlack advertisers, seeing how much the IntheBlack print run has tanked, would pull their adds. The solution of course is to 'target' IntheBlack. One edition for public practice member's, one for commercial, one of academics etc. Same first 10 pages, Presidents message etc but after that some focused articles if you please. It will never happen hence the waste paper basket it is. :!: :!:

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:55 pm

CPA Australia, also has Intheblack online, and that has advertisements on it too, but at least you can look for relevant information.

https://www.intheblack.com/articles

Agree, that they should give the members the opposition to oppt out at the time of the membership renewal to either not receive the paper version of Intheblack, or receive it by email or not receive it at all.

They waste money on getting audits on how to be more green, or how to save paper within the organisation, but still arrange to print and mail out thousands of copies of the magazine, which a lot of members do not read or really want.

Also agree, that they would properly result in a cost saving to the organisation, by reducing the mail out costs and printing costs associated with the hard copy version of the magazine.

Lets see, when the board members and staff read these messages, that maybe, they decide to listen the provide this option to the membership and save costs and therefore reduce the membership renewal costs to the membership.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:59 pm

perthcpa wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm
great if you are in doctor's surgery awaiting your turn not so good if you are at work and want to limit your reading to high value content.
If about to experience some pain it's a good warm up. But I have to disagree. The fact that 100% of Directors can resign and it not even carry an article or comment as to why shows it's not publishing relevant content. It's become an insult to members.
perthcpa wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:38 pm
the CPA board would worry that the poor old IntheBlack advertisers, seeing how much the IntheBlack print run has tanked, would pull their adds.
Yeah it's a scam. The real reason that they cannot make it optional is that they have to tell the advertisers that the circulation is 160,000 members. Same as they gave CPD for watching In Conversation, needed to artificially boost the numbers to make the rort work.

Print that .... on recyclable paper please. Japanese go home drones and cubicle tensions. Give me a break. They are insulting the intelligence of CPAs with such garbage.
The Naked Webmaster

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:40 pm

After terminating my membership with CPA in December I still receive the email distribution of INTHEBLACK. Obviously my concerns over the direction of CPA and the fact they are a bunch of crooks does not exclude me from the mail list which I am sure is fed to advertisers. My name is still worth something to them even if they have demanded their certificates back.

PS - The rag was worthless to me and they were not even taken from the plastic before being binned

geoffrt0019

Post by geoffrt0019 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Junk...its the new idea of accountants magazine...puff pieces on neville nobodies..and nothing about changes and issues at cpa australia

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:39 am

The latest issue of ITB actually , finally , published a letter from a member expressing their disappointment with the past events at CPA Australia, the lack of pursuing accountability, and the need to restore the brand.

Memo to the Editors: too little, too late.

alizzia

Post by alizzia » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:29 am

Don't get too excited. It was written by Professor Roger Jachau from University of Western Sydney. He has been writing to ITB on this topic since 2016....if you write to ITB now you might get lucky by having your letter published in the April 2020 edition....