Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Week That Was 28th April 2017

A weekly round up of the issues and progress
Brett Stevenson

Week That Was 28th April 2017

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm

A quick review of the week

1. Members Register arrived . As you will have probably heard it does not contain the email addresses of members.
My legal advice is that they are in breach of the Corporations Act if the email addresses of members is on the register.
Can you imagine a Members Register without email addresses? Hardly, given that is the main means of communication with members.
Clearly we cannot afford to take legal action to enforce that so the best I can do is
a. notify ASIC of the breach, and I’ll place the letter on the website plus any correspondence from them.
b. notify Adam Awty that as Company Secretary we shall ask the new board to pursue this matter when the board is refreshed. It is worth reminding Adam Awty that as a CPA of the fundamental principle in our Code of Ethics 100.1 A distinguishing mark of the accountancy profession is its acceptance of the responsibility to act in the public interest. Therefore, a Member‘s responsibility is not exclusively to satisfy the needs of an individual client or employer.
I haven't looked closely at the requirements of a Company Secretary but I would think they do not say ‘go and get legal advice so that you just comply with the bare minimum the law requires, and endeavour to make it as difficult as possible for members when they force you to do something the law requires you to do’.
c. notify the current board, especially though the President Tyrone Carlin, that the ethical implications of this minimal adherence to the legal requirements of the law (at best), and breach (at worst) is hardly the sort of thing we expect from our professional organisation. I’m not too sure what Sydney University expects of him as one of their executive in terms of minimum disclosure, and adherence to the bare minimum of the law, but we as professional accounting body should aim a little higher I would have thought.

But this will not deter us. We are working on how we can use this to reach all the members in a realistic way so we can get their email addresses. More to come on that front later.

2. The AGM in Singapore was a joke apart from two questioners who probed a little deeper than the other mainly friendly Dorothy Dixers, the sales job by Tyrone Carlin which focussed on growth and global reach and said virtually nothing about enhancing the accounting profession and servicing the members. The two questioners asked about the reduction in the membership since Dec 2016 by 5,000 and the drop n numbers of those sitting CPA exams, and the other asked three on why no full disclosure on key management personnel remuneration, especially directors.
I would say the answers from Tyrone Carlin were evasive and avoiding the real issues.
Then the meeting was closed after some 50 or so minutes, with about 15 minutes of questions. Now that is really opening the board up for scrutiny.
And can you imagine the cost involved for this little ‘lets avoid the real issues and troublesome questions from members by moving the AGM to Singapore” exercise.
Have a guess how many questions submitted by Australian members were asked by the Chairman? Do I need to answer that. Not one.
Here we have an AGM held in a location with 5% of members to avoid a location which has 75% of the members (which everyone knows was to avoid more public/detailed scrutiny), where members cannot vote for their directors, do not approve the remuneration levels, are asked to submit questions beforehand yet none are raised by the Chairman, and then provide just 15 or so minutes for questions from members present.
There is no doubt about it the CPA leadership love 'playing with a stacked hand’.

3. The support base is growing, with quite a lot of ex CPA officials, presidents, divisional councillors, committee members.
Please refer any CPA’s you know to the website cpamembers.org and to add themselves to the mailing list bstevenson100@gmail.com
Am about to set up a Mail Chipmunk account to enable easier email communication, plus ease of subscribing and unsubscribing.

4. The wider media are interested. Interviews with the ABC currently.
If any members have contact with the media please utilise those contacts, or pass them on, as these issues need wider traction with the membership and the wider community.
A friend from the CAANZ told me recently that in the publics eyes it is the accounting profession itself not just CPA’s who are bearing the cost of what the CPA leadership are doing to the profession.
The three big obvious elephants in the room are scandalous remuneration levels of CPA leadership in 2016, the self promotion of Alex Malley under the guise of it promoting CPA, and the weak corporate governance at CPA such that we have lost control of our organisation and the previous two elephants just allowed to keep trampling the profession into the ground.
There are other important issues but they strike me as the three big ones to start with. Can't wait to have a full independent investigation into the NBL sponsorship (gift of $756,000), or the international travel expenditure at CPA Head Office, or their salary levels. Or of Alex Malleys past alleged dismissal from Macquarie University, and his almost immediate appointment as President then CEO of CPA Australia. etc

5. The s.202B request will be lodged on Monday. This will force the board to fully disclose (by individual) what they should have done voluntarily - the directors remuneration in 2016.
They need to provide the details in a statement which is to be audited and then sent to every member.
I received the 102nd signatory last night but if any members want to send in one, there's no harm in having greater than 100. Send them in. I’ll send off on Monday.
As Tyrone Carlin said at the AGM, they will comply with what the law requires. Well, this is what the law does require and what a shameful statement of CPA Australia leadership for our own President to have to be forced to do what he should have done voluntarily long ago. We even provided the opportunity for him to do that at the AGM as we forewarned him this was coming. But no, they will only do what the law forces them to do, and what an example that sends to the watching world, especially the corporate world.
So next time we hear Alex Malley or Tyrone Carlin pontificating about CPA Australia's leadership and the need to grow and become the worlds best service organisation, we will need to block out those loud cries of HYPOCRISY and GET YOUR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER, and PRACTISE WHAT YOU PREACH, and WALK THE TALK, and ………………………..(you add your own descriptors).
If this is the example we are setting then what a disaster for the accounting profession where openness and transparency are two of the foundational principles. (have a look at APESB110 if you want to read about it in the ethical context, or any accounting text in the purely professional context).

6. Thanks to all the members who are supporting this effort.
After the AGM last night I, and a good many others who have sent in emails since, are even more resolved to pursue these issues for the good of our organisation and the profession.
Currently it is being sent down the gurgler.

7. Speak up, we are not lemmings. Can I encourage members to speak out about these matters, and stand up to the bullying and threats coming from the current CPA leadership and organisation.
Think of what you would tell your children if they were bullied in the schoolyard, and then apply that to yourself in relation to CPA. You stand up, you don't give in.
Note the absence of questions (and answers) from Tyrone Carlin on the taking down of parts of the website, or the threats to discussion group leaders and other councillors and committee members. Says a lot to me especially when some of the worst examples have been set by our CEO Malley and director and past president Wade when they bullied and threatened one of the largest discussion groups in Sydney recently.
We are not lemmings. So stand up to them, and if you feel comfortable speak out publicly about this.
Sooner or later we need to come out from our anonymity and speak loudly, clearly, publicly and honestly on these matters.
Otherwise it is really going to be tanked. Lets stop the rot now.

8. What is looming. I’m sure you are all aware that for major changes to occur at CPA Australia we will need to change the constitution.
While we have a weak and compliant board who do not stand up on these matters this is the only legal way we can force their hand.
We, as members have limited ability to change much apart from the constitution, and that can only be done by special resolution and that requires a 75% vote for.
In the past such changes were achieved with votes of just 140 and 400, when we were disinterested and trusted them to do the right thing, How foolish we have been.
For the changes we are suggesting we really need to get more members up to date with what is happening so they make informed decisions, as you can see that Malley and Carlin etc will be fighting hard against us.
The ones that we are thinking of are
a. to reduce directors fes by 50% - already have over 130 members who have signed this resolution.
b. to reduce directors terms from 9 to 6 years absolute - this has enabled some of the main allies and advocates for Malley to serve longer than normal terms as directors, with Wade, Petty, Ryan in their 11th years, and Carlin in his 6th year.
c. to ensure members vote directly for directors at the AGM as with 99% of public companies, and to remove the Representative Council as a lame duck in the process.

We need to be realistic. Many of the things we would like to see changed are 'not the proper business of the members’ (such as executive remuneration, and independent investigations into the NBL sponsorship, or of international travel, or the self promoting of Alec Malley on our tab etc) but are for the board to implement (this was one of the big lessons from the NRMA cases 30 or so years ago).
So we need to refresh the board, fix up the corporate governance, and really elect directors who are prepared to be strong and bold and stand up against these current shenanigans.

We shall start to focus more on the current individual directors (and committee and divisional councillors) as we expect them to do the right thing not just toe the line. We do not want group think on the board (or other groups).
We shall start to introduce them to the wider community and as with Tyrone Carlin’s employer (Sydney University) we shall keep the directors employers and wider public aware of events and goings on at CPA Australia.

Well that's a bit of an update just to keep you in the loop.
The main thing to know is that we are not going away and want to resolve these matters asap.
It will not be an easy road ahead but we are pressing on.

9. The CPA Awards Night at The Vladivostok Social Club was held last night.
It was a rip-roaring success. The ice-breaker managed to provide us access to the port for the proceedings to commence but unfortunately some of the award winners got a little carried away with the celebrations and may find themselves 'frozen in' if they don't move quickly today. Anyway highlights, award winners and a summary of the evening will be in the 3rd episode of our response to the CPA 16th March memo.

Cheers

Brett

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Week That Was 28th April 2017

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:25 pm

You should ask CPA Australia if the members register does have email addresses on it. Force them to say yes or no. At the same time tell them about the requirement to provide the email addresses with the members register. Also ask them in any case to forward the email addresses. Then write to ASIC.

In fact when you ask CPA Australia if the members register contains email addresses, I think the question needs to go to the Directors in addition to Awty.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:50 pm

I think you will find the CPA Australia board are sticking to the compliance with the minimum requirements of the law and that is all.
In other words the lowest common denominator is their rule and guide.
It is so different to everything I have learned in the profession with terms like transparency, full disclosure, openness, integrity, objectivity, not using the law to hide the true situation etc.
I would suggest they have looked at s.169(1), and said that's it. We shall go no further.
I would encourage all members to have a read of Professor Stephen Taylor's opinion piece, and also his comments in the AFR article by Edmund Tadros. I have attached them both here.
The CPA leadership are showing all the signs of the opposite of what the profession should be doing. We should be constantly lifting the standards and raising the level of the profession and members. But no, they are more interested in growing numbers, pushing Alex Malley's profile on TV, billboards, promoting his terrible book The Naked CEO (which somehow the board has managed to buy from him - wonder how much we paid - and promote), awarding Professional Development hours for watching Malley interview the likes of Henry Winkler etc. A strategy which is denigrating the CPA brand and reducing the whole profession to laughing stock status.
The current CPA leadership are all into minimum disclosure, with full disclosure regarded as a bad thing because it opens up the organisation and the leaders up to scrutiny.
The recent AGM in Singapore gives you a good idea of their idea of 'scrutiny' -
  • hightailing it to Singapore when the questions get too near the truth,
    asking members to submit questions then not asking any of them let alone answering any at the AGM,
    avoiding/evading difficult questions,
    ending the meeting after only 47 minutes (can you believe that), and
    Tyrone Carlin having the nerve to say they are looking at other models of disclosing to avoid full disclosure of executive remuneration.
I think they are starting to believe their own rubbish.
I sure trust that Sydney University (Carlins employer) does not model this in their Senate and governance meetings.
And to think that CPA Australia professes to be one of the standard bearers and setters for accounting and governance standards. Our current leaders make a mockery of the profession and the CPA designation.
Attachments
March 2017.pdf
(142.21 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
29th April 2017.pdf
(769.34 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

If the Directors or Awty reply with:
a) Emails are on the members register but we don't need to give you email addresses. Then you can notify that to ASIC as per your legal advice.
or
b) Emails are not on the members register. Then it locks them in and if we ever find out this was wrong it's another case of whatever you call this kind of thing.

I just had the thought. What if we propose a small change to the constitution that if information is requested by 100 or more members then they must provide it FOR FREE. Then we request member email addresses, Exec salary details, value of payments made for research that went to Tyrone's university, details of all other research grants, amount of membership fees paid to Professions Australia which Awty is a Director, details of the conflicts of interests that Directors have disclosed (to each other, imagine what's on that!) conflicts of interests register.

This small change to the constitution would be easier than the changes required for fixing all the other problems and would pave the way.
The Naked Webmaster

Mr Integrity

Post by Mr Integrity » Wed May 03, 2017 1:34 am

Hi Brett
Why did you continue to use the the company name and ABN of Excellere Pty Ltd in 2015 nearly three years after the company was deregistered by ASIC?
That doesn't appear to be a decent thing for you to do.
best wishes
Mr Integrity
Attachments
Brett I thought you were clean Sept 2015.pdf
(159.21 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

Sully

Post by Sully » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 am

Hey Brett, just found out about your little stouche here, good work!

I will see if I can round up a few more members.

Lets stick it to the greedy pigs at the top, I see the membership fees of numerous professional bodies come through my diverse organisation and its easy to see where the snouts are in the trough. CPA fees are always a significant % higher than everyone elses!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am

Hi MR Integrity,

Thanks for digging up the most minor insignificant piece of information here. Wow a DNS record still existed! Are you suggesting Brett should stop what he is doing now just because there was a DNS record in existence? You're just a troll. And the date on that DNS search is 22 March so you've been hording this super earth shattering piece of investigative reporting for over a month trying to find somewhere to stick it.

Why don't you use your super investigative powers and go and find out something useful like how much money CPA Australia pays to Sydney University for research.
The Naked Webmaster

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed May 03, 2017 7:22 am

I'm guessing Mr Integrity is from CPA head office!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 7:43 am

The document uploaded by Mr Integrity was printed on 22 March which is before this website existed. It's the date of Brett's response to the CPA Australia 16 page "Important Member Information". So who would have been investigating Brett at that time? Seems like they did not find much.

DNS records can take years to expire anyway so there is no proof of usage.
The Naked Webmaster

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Wed May 03, 2017 10:08 am

Presumably the software running this website will show the ip address when Mr Integrity registered, and the ip address at the time of each post. Can the webmaster do a reverse lookup and find the physical location of the ip addresses (or the one ip address if they're all the same)? I'd love to know if it's in Melbourne and/or if links back to the bunker CPA HQ.

btw how do members of the public now find a CPA if the search facility has been taken down for "technical reasons" ... and how is CPA HQ now fulfilling its role in the promotion of its members?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 10:20 am

I wouldn't do that. I have to protect the confidentiality of the users. This thing called integrity.

I think it would be great if all the Directors and executives of CPA Australia join this website and start trying to defend their positions. I wouldn't delete comments that I disagree with. But I will reply. If people just start trolling that's a different story.

I don't think CPA Australia has made a distinction between promoting CPAs, promoting themselves and promoting the CEO. Not much was ever spent on promoting CPAs. The find a cpa was kind of buried in the bottom of it's website so the very little that was there is gone.

CPA Australia has been happy to push the line that having a walking Amway commercial selling success and living big whilst communicating primarily to uni students about things like how to use a highlighter (no joke) is going to result in more business or job opportunities for CPAs.
The Naked Webmaster

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Wed May 03, 2017 10:31 am

Fair enough, never thought of that ... that point went through to the keeper, aka don't join them in the gutter (let's maintain our integrity).

LittleMissCPA

Post by LittleMissCPA » Wed May 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Mr Integrity - not sure of your point. Even the most indecent person (not for a moment suggesting that Brett is such), has the right to question CPA's CEO and Management as Brett is doing. They hold themselves up as examples of professionalism when they are behaving anything but. Maybe everything is above board, remuneration is reasonable and the $ spent publicising Mr Malley's every move is money well spent (can't see it myself but you never know) - but until they open themselves up for questioning, answer those questions honestly and start treating their members with the respect that they deserve, anyone has the right to have reservations about their actions and motives.