Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

CEO terminated effective today!

A weekly round up of the issues and progress
The Nude CPA

Re: CEO terminated effective today!

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Karena wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 pm
Does anyone knows if there are pathways for CPA to become CA?
Yes: https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com ... -australia

Eligibility requirements:
  • Your admission as a member of CPA Australia was granted on the basis of your successful completion of the CPA Australia professional program
  • You hold a qualification recognised as comparable to an Australian or New Zealand Bachelor's degree
  • You have had at least 10 years of experience post your admission to CPA Australia as a full member
  • You have attained a senior position/s in your career
You should stay with us and fight the good fight, however; CPA Australia will be better for it. :)

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Sadly nude ... i don't know of anyone staying after December this year.
Nobody is prepared to fork over $ 720 for a membership in CPA with this regime in place.
It would appear from current numbers most of the membership are not aware or don't care.
We need the EGM and the hope to rebuild as not many prepared to prolong this when other options are available.
People have business to run.. lives to live.. CPA is already the butt of jokes in the profession...
Fight the good fight.. mmm but only for so long..
Depressing as it is CPAs days as serious body maybe numbered.. sad... as long before mallee crawled out from his rock the brand was strong and well respected.

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Supposing the board isn't replaced by next year hopefully anyone who is going to leave cancels membership prior to 31 December so they don't ram retention down our throats again even though a bunch of members have left by the time of the agm

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:52 pm

passedfc wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 pm
Sadly nude ... i don't know of anyone staying after December this year.
Yes, there's a fair chance I won't be renewing my membership if significant change hasn't taken place by years' end.
passedfc wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:43 pm
It would appear from current numbers most of the membership are not aware or don't care.
Mmm, it's both frustrating and disappointing.

Karena

Post by Karena » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm

The Nude CPA wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:00 pm
Karena wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 pm
Does anyone knows if there are pathways for CPA to become CA?
Yes: https://www.charteredaccountantsanz.com ... -australia

Eligibility requirements:
  • Your admission as a member of CPA Australia was granted on the basis of your successful completion of the CPA Australia professional program
  • You hold a qualification recognised as comparable to an Australian or New Zealand Bachelor's degree
  • You have had at least 10 years of experience post your admission to CPA Australia as a full member
  • You have attained a senior position/s in your career
You should stay with us and fight the good fight, however; CPA Australia will be better for it. :)
Thanks nude! I am not prepare to pay $720 a year for a in the black magazine every month!! I don't see much value for this membership =(

FCA

Post by FCA » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Unless my twitter feed is down, it looks like the CPA have taken down their @nakedceo twitter site.

So much for all the money CPA have spent promoting that line. Referring to Alex's recent radio interview, does that mean the CPA Board now recognises that its previous strategy of raising brand awareness using the narcissic Malley (as the sole face of CPA) was crap and has an alternative strategy / vision?

If so if would be great if they could enlighten us as to what that now is.

It would also be great if they could acknowledge the change of strategy and resign due to their collective failure.

The COO (acting CEO) is also a joke. A simple google search reveals he's an ex Vic Treasury young lad - certainly without any appropriate experience and qualifications to be pulling in $1m pa. I'd bet he wouldn't know what an Accounting Standard looked like if it hit him in the face.

As someone previously noted the CPA accounts are deficient in their disclosure. If Malley was actually entitled to the $5m payout then that should have been disclosed as an onerous contract - pure and simple. It wasn't. The CA's aren't that good at disclosure either - so I suspect this is an industry wide issue.

The only way of fixing it is disclosure legislation for all non for profit organisations with a revenue stream over a certain amount (eg $50m) - unions, professional bodies (CA / CPA etc).

Otherwise the rorts will continue in other organisations like the CPA.

The whole professional lobbying industry needs a thorough clean out - maybe Malley has started the avalanche.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 pm

Karena wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks nude! I am not prepare to pay $720 a year for a in the black magazine every month!! I don't see much value for this membership =(
I barely read anything in the latest ITB. Ended up in the recycling after a few minutes.

It's full of leftist claptrap these days.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 pm

FCA wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:11 pm
Unless my twitter feed is down, it looks like the CPA have taken down their @nakedceo twitter site.

So much for all the money CPA have spent promoting that line. Referring to Alex's recent radio interview, does that mean the CPA Board now recognises that its previous strategy of raising brand awareness using the narcissic Malley (as the sole face of CPA) was crap and has an alternative strategy / vision?

If so if would be great if they could enlighten us as to what that now is.

It would also be great if they could acknowledge the change of strategy and resign due to their collective failure.
The Twitter account has been deleted. Still shows up in a Google search though - I guess that will change soon enough.

I notice Malley's Twitter page description still has:

Alex Malley FCPA is the CEO of CPA Australia, host of In Conversation with Alex Malley @TheConvoTV, on @Channel9, a LinkedIn Influencer & author of @TheNakedCEO

Only one tweet since he was sacked: https://twitter.com/2GB873/status/880625931554930688

inconversationwithalexmalley.com redirects to the CPAA website and thenakedceo.com has had Malley's details removed.

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Would anyone agree with me that CPA Australia has been erasing Alex and dis-associating itself from Alex. Everything that had Alex has been erased as if Alex was a ghost, yet Dickson mentioned that Alex legacy will be something that we all can be proud of, yet CPA Australia and the board has erased Alex from CPA existence. How about also removing him from life member and the FCPA designation.

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Looks like Alex is being turned into bit of a ghost ... strange for board who endorsed him so strongly.
And yes Time4 after Dickson held up legacy as outstanding.
And I believe there is a mechanism to remove him as life member
Malleee Whhooo ??? Says CPA ... denial again !!

Eric Nacpa

Post by Eric Nacpa » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:03 pm

I recall the Board claiming to have a contingency plan to preserve the value of the investment in the Naked CEO branding when defending the personality / celebrity approach.

Cant see any sign of it in action......

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:20 pm

I doubt it, because The Naked CEO is targeting an open audience and young people that had no clue what Professional stand for. It is money wasted, because rather than building the profile of members and the association itself, it was wasted building the profile of Alex which we all knew once he left it was money wasted. That is why CPA has to change, we are a member association and it always be about members, the accounting profession and public interest.