Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Independent Review Update

A weekly round up of the issues and progress
Eric Nacpa

Re: Independent Review Update

Post by Eric Nacpa » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:07 pm

I question the heavy involvement of those aligned with AICD.

My direct experience is that they AICD struggle with the governance model for the NFP sector and view a model free of shareholder agreements or member direction as the purist form, and seek to obtain this. As for policing behavioural standards, crickets!

In AICD courses I hear from the front of the room
- beware the shareholder agreement
- watch out for ministerial guidelines and directions
- how do you disclose the minimum to shareholders in the annual report!

All topics worthy of debate, but the view according to AICD can be take from their guidelines.

A more critical review is required.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm

passedfc wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:51 pm
BUT I remain the cynic with this review.
Yes the independent reviewers.. eminent and all ...may have the skills and ability ... but bound by the TOR.
Oh, i'm very cynical too, but the ToR are very wide and I'm allowing myself a moment to believe the right thing will be done.

*cue inevitable disappointment*

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:28 pm

chuck_meister wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:22 pm
I'm glad that Angus Houston recognised the implications. Poor form
from CPA not to even mention this in the update.
Agree. Frankly , I think Sir Angus' letter is quite reasonably supportive of our requests , and we shouldn't bag him for pulling out. I am sure quite a few of us have accepted a job somewhere and then , within a short time of starting, realised that it's not the job we thought it was. I know I have.

The current Board, however, lacks the demonstrated objectivity and adequate supervision of CPA Australia to have a seat at the table of this review, let alone any role whatsoever in steering it. They didn't wake up this morning and sudddenly become competent. They must resign; or the spill must proceed.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 am

Time4Change wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 pm
We don't need a review, we need a full investigation
I could not agree more. This is a review not an investigation. We need a full investigation into the wrongdoings of the board and exec over the last 10 years.

As far as a review of the governance and strategy it probably as good as we'll get. Although as I said above it is not an investigation.

Also the board it not in a position to implement the changes they may well be the subject of an adverse review about things like e.g. non compliance with s202B Directors remuneration and s173 members register. So are they the best people to to correct these things. Firstly they have already been told about it. All they have to do is have a look at the legislation and then fix it. They say they need an independent review to tell them that. And if the independent review says yeah, stupid, you need to comply with the corporations law are they going to do it.

These Directors should not be there and we should have an investigation not a review.

Also these review issues are really the Directors job. So basically they are incapable of doing their own job and get someone else to tell them what they need to do. Oh yeah worth the money. When will they just quit.
The Naked Webmaster

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 pm

We just need to acknowledge that none of the the leftovers will quit.
They don't have any integrity or ethics.
Even with Malley out on radio bagging the board and CPA... they have no shame !!
As long as we are considered the "lunatic fringe"... in malley's words a bunch of sad people....
They will hang out as long as possible ( to their overpaid jobs), run this sham review... make a couple of tweeks to the constitution and Board Appointments ( will there be a new full board by September ?? )
An then say to themselves ... all fixed now ... we have addressed all the issues consulted with the members...
So the EGM and board spill is the only way to get a full investigation including for forensic audit..
And this need to happen soon..
We need to wake up all members !!!
300 enquiries to move to CA.... !!

Karena

Post by Karena » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 am
Time4Change wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:34 pm
We don't need a review, we need a full investigation
I could not agree more. This is a review not an investigation. We need a full investigation into the wrongdoings of the board and exec over the last 10 years.

As far as a review of the governance and strategy it probably as good as we'll get. Although as I said above it is not an investigation.

Also the board it not in a position to implement the changes they may well be the subject of an adverse review about things like e.g. non compliance with s202B Directors remuneration and s173 members register. So are they the best people to to correct these things. Firstly they have already been told about it. All they have to do is have a look at the legislation and then fix it. They say they need an independent review to tell them that. And if the independent review says yeah, stupid, you need to comply with the corporations law are they going to do it.

These Directors should not be there and we should have an investigation not a review.

Also these review issues are really the Directors job. So basically they are incapable of doing their own job and get someone else to tell them what they need to do. Oh yeah worth the money. When will they just quit.
This is not acceptable, this review is a bogus! How much are they paying the panel?? I bet soon after the review, the board will pay themselves $5m each to step down! Thank you very much.

antiwarclan

Post by antiwarclan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 am

The news in relation to the independent review released by CPA Australia shows the importance of the spill motion. CURRENT BOARD OF DIRECTORS, in particular Dickson & Co, has to go as they have lost most, if not all, their credibility and trust from members.

The review can only be independent or perceived to be independent when it is instigated by an interim board not the current board.

Also, none of the panel members of the independent review panel have any experience in investigation.

Disgrace 101

Post by Disgrace 101 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am

Yep putting aside the fact this is not an independent review, the latest update overnight is another meaningless communique.

"The Terms of Reference are broad enough to allow the issues that have been raised by members and others to be addressed through the review process."

Why not be transparent and list the issues that have been raised that will be addressed via the review. Why is there this consistent opaqueness? (Retorical question)

No wonder the organisation is in such a mess and been brought into disrepute, I hear CAANZ calling.

Ken Crout

Post by Ken Crout » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 am

This review is already doomed to be a farcical whitewash.

The chairman of the review, Ian McPhee, exhibited his lack of judgement some time ago when he endorsed Malley's loss making CPA-funded literary effort, The Naked CEO, with this cringe-worthy effort:

"Many CEOs have taken a winding road to the top. Not everyone drove a bright-orange Datsun like Alex did."

Good God!

Do yourself a favour Ian, resign before you embarrass yourself further.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:53 pm

The response website is now up!

www.cpaaustraliareview.com

from email to all members:

Dear member,

As you know, an Independent Review Panel has been established to undertake a review of CPA Australia.

A priority for us has been establishing appropriate channels for members and stakeholders to engage with the Panel directly.

I am pleased to advise that a web presence is now live and can be accessed at www.cpaaustraliareview.com.

This will be the principal portal for members and stakeholders to access content relating to the review, follow the review’s status and make submissions to the Independent Review Panel.

Getting the views of members and stakeholders is an important input into the review and we encourage interested parties to engage with the process.

We can also confirm an external firm, the Nous Group, has been appointed to provide Secretariat services for the review.

Details of how to make a submission, including timeframes, will be available on the website. Submissions will be received by the Secretariat and the Panel.

Details of confidentiality associated with submissions and any opportunities for other engagement with the Panel will also be made available on the website.

We appreciate that some members have been disappointed that the mechanisms to make a submission were not in place sooner. While this is understandable, the Panel believes it was important to put an external firm in place to act as Secretariat in the first instance and for this group to manage the receipt of all submissions to ensure independence.

We welcome your contributions to the independent review process.

Kind Regards,

Ian McPhee AO PSM FCPA
Chair, Independent Review Panel

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Here are the questions in the submission:

3. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to CPA Australia's governance.
4. What suggestions do you have to improve the future governance of CPA Australia?
5. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to CPA Australia's staff and Board remuneration.
6. What suggestions do you have to improve the remuneration structures for CPA Australia's staff and Board?
7. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to CPA Australia's strategy and expenditure on marketing.
8. What suggestions do you have to improve CPA Australia's future marketing strategy and expenditure?
9. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to CPA Australia's member services and engagement.
10. What suggestions do you have to improve the member services and engagement of CPA Australia?
11. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to the strategy and performance of CPA Australia Advice.
12. What suggestions do you have to improve the strategy and performance of CPA Australia Advice?
13. Are there any other matters you would like to raise in your submission?

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Question one it has name optional, but it is mandatory to put in your member number. So much for anonymity.

Question 1-3.png
Question 1-3.png (56.3 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

slaa4044

Post by slaa4044 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm

I have just waded (pardon the pun) my way through this.

They want us to tell them what to do ... really ...

I gave them all 8 ASX CG Princles and demonstrated a breach.

I will be interested to see what they do with this.

Ken Crout

Post by Ken Crout » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I loved the line . . . "we encourage interested parties to engage with the process".

It seemed rude to ignore such a fulsome invitation, so I took the opportunity to direct a question to Ian McPhee, asking if he was embarrassed by his endorsement of Malley's ludicrous book and if, in fact, he had even bothered to read it before giving it his imprimatur. I expect an answer, any day now.

Another gem asked for my opinion on the future direction of CPA Australia Advice. No . . . really . . . I'm not joking. I was flattered, of course . . . it's been years since anyone asked for my opinion on anything.

With reference to a recent description of this review as a "whitewash" . . . sorry Brett, you are being too kind.

Cheers,
Ken

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:40 pm

I think it's too early to call it a whitewash. We should participate in good faith and we will see from the preliminary report if it's a whitewash. It was originally launched as a whitewash but it's different now and I think the Directors may be kidding themselves if they think they can control what the IRP says. Let's not underestimate the incompetence of the Directors to arrange their own whitewash.

Yes they will ask us to do their job. I did not expect anything different. I think that's just what review panels do, particularly the eminent ones!
The Naked Webmaster

Ken Crout

Post by Ken Crout » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Yes Naked, you are right. Hopefully, the IRP website is a step forward. I suppose it's better than nothing, so I will control my cynicism and make a genuine submission.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 am

chuck_meister wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:22 pm
Question one it has name optional, but it is mandatory to put in your member number. So much for anonymity.

Question 1-3.png
I tried this - IIRC if you click "anonymous", it takes away the need to put in a member number

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am

deaneus wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 am
I tried this - IIRC if you click "anonymous", it takes away the need to put in a member number
But you cannot say you are a CPA member. There should be options for anonymous CPA member, anonymous non member.

In any case on the page before that they say:
Names and membership numbers will only be used to verify that submissions are from members and any information collected will not be directly attributed to a member without their express permission.

The panel understands that some members and other stakeholders may wish to make submissions anonymously. As such, members and other stakeholders are able to make submissions without providing their name.

If you have any questions about making a submission, please contact the panel at contact@cpaaustraliareview.com.
You would expect that making a submission with your name and member number does not matter so much as it's not supposed to go back to CPAA. I wonder how they verify the member number. They should be given a copy of the members register and email addresses by CPAA.

It looks like they are not validating the member number anyway. If you are really set on saying you are a CPA member and don't want to put your member number put an obviously wrong number like 99999999. Are they validating them?
The Naked Webmaster

CPAwhatever

Post by CPAwhatever » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:16 pm

In any case, I have submitted mine with my name and membership number. Below is an outline (I expanded but forgot to copy)

=======

Any changes to renomination (increase or any additional remuneration for activities such as CPAA Advice ) should be approved in voting (proxy, online or otherwise in an easy and cost effective way that doesn’t penalise members working or living away from AGM location).

======================

Good marketing is an investment that builds the brand for the future. It’s an investment that carries on paying out long after the current media schedule is off the air. In CPA’s case, the departure of Malley means that there will be no further value to be squeezed from the dollars previously invested.

=====================

This is an unnecessary expense on behalf of CPA Australia, akin with large investment into Malley brand, that neither benefited nor helped the members. A professional organisation has to look into helping and assisting members instead of competing with them. It is obvious that the board forgot this main principle, they are even not concerned about expiration of professional standards scheme! Instead of concentrating on insuring that members are protected via continuous professional standards scheme, CPAA Board choses to spend its time on forays into new business ventures that pay them hefty fees.

==============

CPA Australia needs to look into reinvesting any excess cash into members instead of wasting it on $4.9million pay checks, CPA Australia and meaningless CEO branding. Reduce the fees, provide free CPD to members. Remember this is an organisation that is all about the members, and it seems it lost the way.

ConcernedCPA

Post by ConcernedCPA » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:35 am

deaneus wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:02 pm
11. Members and stakeholders are invited to make a submission in regard to the strategy and performance of CPA Australia Advice.
12. What suggestions do you have to improve the strategy and performance of CPA Australia Advice?
How do accountants and financial planners lose so much money????
Seriously - close it down; pay to get the poor suckers/representatives over to some other dealer group. This millstone can't ever make money.