Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

What was the board thinking trying to expand into the US?

A weekly round up of the issues and progress
incitem3

What was the board thinking trying to expand into the US?

Post by incitem3 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 am

I am a relatively new CPA member having being a US CPA living and working in the US up to 4 years ago. The CPAA board has the goal of being the best service organisation and has been advertising the naked CEO book in the US and UK in addition to asian countries. There is no way that The CPAA is going to get any credibility as an accounting professional organisation in the US and why would they even try. Taking out huge advertisements like billboards in Time square in New York seems to be a bad decision other than promoting mr Malley's media career. The board and senior managers I venture are not stupid people but seem to think that they can do what ever they want and spend CPAA resources on personal projects indicating a lack of judgement and moral character. This people are unfit to govern the CPAA and we want our organisation back.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: What was the board thinking trying to expand into the US?

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:00 am

incitem3 wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:43 am
The board and senior managers I venture are not stupid people
Well actually that's been a little questionable on the handling of these incidents and some things that have emerged.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:09 am

The board and senior managers I venture are not stupid people but seem to think that they can do what ever they want and spend CPAA resources on personal projects indicating a lack of judgement and moral character.
I think incitem3 you have underestimated the word stupid when referring to the CPA leadership. I agree with the Naked admin that their behaviour would suggest a rethink of what we have assumed of our leadership. Not just questionable but I think can be more dogmatic than that.
But incitem3 I think your mention of moral character is probably getting more to the heart of the issues. You can't necessarily legislate good moral behaviour but one thing the CPA Australia leadership has shown is that bad moral behaviour is easier to identify than regulate. The sad thing about all this is that Mr McPhee just isn't interested, he's just being paid. Therein lies the tragedy of CPA Australia. All the exposure in the world counts for nothing in the hands of an Independent Panel overseen by a board rump such as we have.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:58 pm

May l add that the strategy of the board & Alex Malley, was to create a stepping stone for individuals to get interested in the Naked CEO and have them undertake the CPA Australia education courses, seminars etc. It was a business model to increase sales. Alex Malley sold a plan to the board, which the board believed, because when the sales increased,it gave the opportunity to reward Alex and management team and provide opportunity to reward the board members.

The Naked CEO board, which was advertised in New York City, did not mention CPA Australia directly, because they probably would have gotten into hold water with the American CPA. Therefore they tired to sell the book as the first port of call for the youth all over the world. Once these young people become interested, they were directed the youth to look at the Naked CEO website for further guidance and leadership directions. The young people were given the opportunity to ask questions via the Naked CEO website and then CPA Australia could respond and hopefully encourage these young people to undertake the CPA course or other course via internet etc. Therefore providing revenue stream for CPA Australian and following there mantra of building an organisation focused on the young and future leaders. It almost sounds like a cult. The only thing CPA Australia didn't do was convert the CPA Australia from a Not-For Profit Accounting organisation to a religious Not-For Profit Organisation and gain huge tax exemptions.

The whole direction of CPA Australia Board and Alex Malley was totally misguided. Except for Alex Malley,who gained a huge salary, a huge ego because he was putting himself out in the public as CPA Australia and only individual to lead CPA Australia out of the dark ages. Well did does sound like a lot of crap. but it may be what they wanted.

Lets not forget the employment contract of Alex Malley. This contract was supposed to have been entered into, with Alex, in which he signed over the rights to the book and any future royalties. I do not think that Alex Malley, would give something away for nothing, and there is a need to review the employment contract, and have a closure look at the details. The membership have not been provided with the whole truth. I would suggest that Alex did sign the right to his image and right to the book with his story in it, for compensation, which was included in his base remuneration or some type of calculation. This contract may have been negotiated for a term included or rights for further review or extension. The contract would have also included a compensation payment and cancellation of rights to Alex's image and book upon his termination or retirement from CPA Australia. The board l would suggest had poor advise in this area, as it has cost the membership millions.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:38 am

Another colossal waste of members' money.

It would seem this was purely about promoting Alex Malley and advancing his media – or perhaps political? – aspirations, rather than CPA Australia.

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm

What was the Board Thinking ???
The board and senior managers I venture are not stupid people but seem to think that they can do what ever they want and spend CPAA resources on personal projects indicating a lack of judgement and moral character.

This is exactly the point !! Although I might dispute the stupidity bit and they are all so blinded by there own greed that nothing was going to get in the way of salaries ,rewards perks..