Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Lets meet our directors, and hold them to account individually

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
sjc431

Re: Lets meet our directors, and hold them to account individually

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:47 am

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 pm
I think Better Call Saul you have nailed it in one.
It is very enlightening for us all to read Bryce Corbetts column way back on 1st March 2017 which also nails pretty well the social media skills at CPA Australia, and how well they are utilised.
Make sure you scroll right through to get all the pretty pictures at the end after all a picture says a lot more than a thousand words.
And here you get three or four beauties which give us more a feel for the way CPA social media works than anything I can say will better.
So, when you think CPA Australia and social media expertise, you can't beat Bryce Corbett's short article for providing a brilliant summary of how it works.
It is attached for your reading.
Yeah wow - posting photos of lobster and steak dinners at the 1st class airport lounge - that's real value for money us members are getting there

JJF

Post by JJF » Thu May 04, 2017 1:14 pm

What possible reason could the social media manager of CPA Australia have to go to Los Angeles on official business?

BTW her twitter account is set to private - I would have thought a social media "influencer" would be talking lots on twitter?

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Thu May 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Maybe she wanted to check that the website worked overseas, so we could expand to the US?

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 pm

She was sent to the shed to find a left handed screwdriver

ashleigh

Post by ashleigh » Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm

So why did Malley leave Macquarie University?

I can't believe the stuff I am reading about CPA Australia!!!

How do I become a CA? :(

Sleet

Post by Sleet » Fri May 05, 2017 8:55 pm

Jobs for the boys.

Got all his Macquarie mates involved.

Well played.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Here's a chance to quiz divisional Councillors and committee members if you live in Melbourne. I already have communicated with one who just verbatim spewed the head office dictate of "speak to Jeff Hughes if you are unhappy". I will be taking along print outs of Bretts "Why should I get involved " letter from this weeks round up to hand out. I wonder if they will have bouncers to eject unworthy patrons ?

The Victorian Committees and Networks, would like to invite you to join them for the second networking evening for 2017.
Join your fellow CPA members for an opportunity to network and share business opportunities. Held quarterly, this informal event doesn't require registration; just turn up on the day.
Members from all Victorian Division Committees will be in attendance and they encourage you to come along. Guests are also welcome.
There will be a door prize on the night and lots of new people to meet, so don't forget your business cards....
European Bier Café on Wednesday 7/6/17
120 Exhibition St
Melbourne

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm

I think the almost lemming like response from committee members, councillors, directors, group leaders etc of "speak to Jeff Hughes if you are unhappy" says so much about what is wrong at CPA Australia.
My response to anyone saying that to me would be "Have you even considered some of these major issues?" and "Are you a lemming or can't you think for yourself?"
Let me encourage members to read the attached AFR article containing an email from Jeff Hughes on how he handles and categorises CPA members. Just imagine it was your name included in the email. What a disgrace, and you are being told to refer members to Jeff Hughes if you are unhappy. Really!
I'll be quite frank and say if that is the standard of professional integrity we are trying to develop in the membership of CPA Australia then perhaps the CPA designation isn't worth much.
If a CPA member does not have the capacity to see the seriousness of some of these issues (irrespective of their conclusions), and the gumption to speak openly about them without the lemming like response 'speak to Jeff Hughes if you are unhappy', then I suggest ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(members can provide their own finish to that sentence).
Good on you The Cyclist for getting out there.
CPA Australia is going to be hit pretty hard in the media over these issues so I would suggest the general public and journalists will not be quite so forgiving when you say "speak to Jeff Hughes if you are unhappy", or perhaps the line often used by Jeff Hughes and Graeme Wade "ignore it as it is the ramblings of a small rogue accountant who has a personal grudge."
Over 1250 of we 'rogue accountants' are out there at the moment (that I now about), and that is over 4 to 6 times more than voted for the individual constitutional changes over the last decade that has allowed this decline to occur.
Attachments
22nd March 2017.pdf
(216.52 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Morpheus says "You take the Jeff Hughes pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the Brett Stevenson pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."
The Naked Webmaster

brooding

Post by brooding » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 pm

If I look at the remaining directors of CPA Australia, do any of them have a full time job?
The only one that I can see who works full time is Petty.
What about the others? Perhaps the CPA directors' fee is their main source of income...

Petty - OK, he is an accounting professor at Mac Uni. Also for some reason can afford a $13m mansion.
Jim Dickson - retired, looks like CPA is his only gig
Wade - he has a number of non-exec directorships, and "consults widely". Whatever that means.
Dolin - bio only mentions non-exec directorships.
Portelli - bio mentions 25 yrs experience in accounting etc etc and serves on "a number of advisory boards" but otherwise vague.

So nett, 2 out of the 5 seem to have no other employment other than the 98K CPA director gig (Dickson, Dolin, Portelli)
2 of 5 seem to be just doing non-exec director gigs...
1 of 5 is retired

And these are the guys running the organisation??

My point being:
1) These director positions were volunteer and unpaid, not so long ago. I think it is important that we go back to this model. We want directors to get in, get going, and then move on. Not hang around and use it as a source of income.

2) We want member directors who are truly representative of the members. A mix of
a) city, country, overseas;
b) corporate, public practice, not for profit, academia;
c) gender diverse, multicultural, and diversity of sexual orientation
etc.

Hughsie

Post by Hughsie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Portelli has an accounting practice with her husband in Dubbo.
ESP Accounting or similar.

Uncle_Fred

Post by Uncle_Fred » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 pm

The situation has come to a crisis under the current Baord's direction, so they are responsible for the mess. Just do what is takes to replace them with more compitent and responsible people. We don't need to get into personal politics other than to acknowledge that the current board have badly damaged our association.

CPAwhatever

Post by CPAwhatever » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:29 am

Did you guys notice that all directors who are left are or were members of " Nomination and Remuneration Committee" which obviously thought that Alex Malleys remuneration is more than reasonable and that the $4.9 payout is just acceptable. Not mentioning their own pay packets.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Whilst I know this is visiting old ground I think its important to constantly think about the remaining board members and bear in mind that they have, over their period of office, carried out their duties as directors with great vigour to their own satisfaction.

Heres a quote from the 32 page marketing email sent out by CPAA in response to the Section request
Board and chief executive remuneration is in line with the market and the scope
of the organisation, based on regular advice obtained from independent, external
remuneration consultants.
Bearing in mind that Mr Malley ( I will from now on refer to him formally) was paid last year $1.3million dollars base salary which was topped up with other entitlements and a bonus to $1.7+million with the approval of the board. And this for overseeing an organisation that has little risk and a pretty much government legislated revenue stream from members.
Contrast this with the statement today regarding the new CEO of Australia post who themselves had not escaped the paradigm of overpaying a CEO- strangely though I haven't seen any of their board resign.

The
salary had been set in "accordance with the parameters set by the Commonwealth Remuneration Tribunal".
She will receive a base salary of $1.375 million a year
And this is for leading a business in rapid transformation with a turnover of $3.5 Billion.

I think this shows sadly that we are not alone in being led by deluded individuals on Boards but there is light at the end of the tunnel and sanity will prevail. Hopefully soon.

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Carlin $68,368, Wade $15,548, Petty $70,912, Dolin $62,754 all over article 45.

Director is allowed $105,850 ($705,030 x 15%) .

Three members of the nomination and remuneration committee had/have breached article 45

Two of those in breach were chair of that committee

The responsibility of the Nomination and remuneration committee is to prevent breaches.

Re: Nomination and remuneration committee,

Alston and Petty ceased 30/9/2016. Petty retiring chairman. Wade takes Chair 1/10/2016

Q: Did Petty period approve Malley employment contract/remuneration? When/Why?

Q: Did Petty period approve Directors CPA Advice payments? When/Why?

Q: Wade takes Chair 1/10/2016, Dickson joins 1/10/2016. What was done to question? What/When/Why not?

Q: Dickson/Wade/Petty directors 9/10 years+ – should know article 45. What/When/Why not?

Q: Carlin is on the committee the whole time. Did he resign because of this breach? Yes/No

Ryan/Carlin there whole time. These two would have heard everything.

Whole purpose for the committee is to observe the rules of the constitution and make sure that the board is not given information that is incorrect or misleading.

The Board president, Dickson, did not breach article 45, however he was on the nomination and remuneration committee that oversaw the breach, did nothing about it.