Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Lets meet our directors, and hold them to account individually

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
Brett Stevenson

Lets meet our directors, and hold them to account individually

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:52 pm

If you just think of two obvious areas, but there are many that could be mentioned here, where one would have thought the board members as individuals would have stood up and prevented such obvious wrongs from occurring
1. The excessive remuneration to Alex Malley and the two COO's (Hughes and Awty) in 2016 - in excess of $3,800,000. (We will know exactly when we receive the s202B statement which will detail the directors remuneration).
Our guess is that Malley is on over $2,000,000 and the other two are up over the $900,000 each. But however you want to split it up, it is scandalaous. The CEO of CAANZ has disclosed his salary was $600,000 plus, and that was regarded as very high for a membership organisation. But that is nothing compared to what we are paying. Contrast it to the Aust Post CEO who received a bit over double what Malley is receiving yet his turnover was $6 BILLION plus with a staff of 32,000 plus while CPAA has a t/over of $170 million and a staff of 500 tops. How coud the individual directors have let this go through. Surely common sense should have prevailed esp. given the almost cartel like influence of Carlin, Petty, Wade and Ryan on the N&R committee in 2015. Did Richard Alston have anything to add, perhaps the other directors?. Well lets shine a bit of a light on them.
2. How about the NBL sponsorship of $756,000 when the then President of CPA Australia was also the Chairman of the NBL? For the board to say that is a 'commercial arms length transaction' just dismisses the obvious conflict of interest with almost arrogant 'well we can do what we want to, so there!'. How did the other directors individually let this see the light of day defies any ordinary responsible corporate governance regime.

So let's focus a bit on the individual directors rather than let them hide from their individual responsibility behind the term 'the board'.
The current directors are as follows, but we shall go back a bit also because this has been going on for over a decade. In brackets is the date they commenced and their tenure to date.
Tyrone Carlin (2011 - 6 years)
Jim Dickson (2010 - 7 years)
Deborah Ong (2013 - 4 years)
Graeme Wade (2006 - 11 years, yes that's right 11 years!!)
Richard Alston (2014 - 3 years)
Michele Dolin (2014 - 3 years)
Richard Petty (2006 - 11 years, yes, as with Wade and Ryan, a very long tenure, and still going!!)
Sharon Portelli (2015 - 2 years)
Kerry Ryan (2007 - 10 years, along with Petty and Wade a very long tenure, and still going)
David Spong (2014 - 3 years)
Martin Hourigan (2016 - 1 year)
Jennifer Lang (2016 - 1 year)

I encourage members to contact these directors individually about these matters as well as write about their responses on this site.

It is worth noting that CPA Australia have advertised for 4 new directors but no word on who is going (and when ) from the above. One can assume Wade, Petty, Ryan and ?.
But in normal CPA Australia leadership style, minimum disclosure so we members are left none the wiser.
And do you think Wade, Petty and Ryan will have a major say in the new board members? You betcha, as per normal - have a look at the Nom and Rem Committee.
Don't believe their guff about the Representative Council. It is the board who set the criteria, oversee the selection process and in reality appoint the new board.
Have a look at the attached (pages 11-24) to get a good feel for what the myth and the reality of governance at CPA Australia.
Attachments
Episodes 1&r Response to CPAA Memo 16th March.pdf
(513.92 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

Daniel001

Re: Lets meet our directors, and hold them to account individually

Post by Daniel001 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Hi. being an accountant for 10 plus years, but only recently a CPA, I'm entirely dissatisfied with
receiving wine offers, insurance offers etc.
all the exams in CPA warn against "profiteering" and ruthless "its all about profit" - but CPA's magazine is called "in the black" ??
All you see in CPA Oz is Alex Malley - extremely embarrassing.

Overall, in the first months of CPA for me, its rather embarrassing. To make matters worse, my wife is a CA

Stop the greed!!

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am

What staggers me is Malley's gall. He's like a kid with chocolate all over his face who says he didn't eat any of the cake.

Even if his salary package is the astronomical figure of $2million you mention, it's effectively much higher than this given his share of CPAA's promotional spend.

Meanwhile the grassroots gets nothing but the useless 'In The Black' magazine that goes straight into the recycle bin, unusable member benefits and over-priced educational offerings. Local discussion groups don't get a cent from the organisation while Malley and his cronies are traveling first class on overseas junkets.

CPA Australia - the unaccountable accounting body.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:39 am

Check out Alex's last 2 persons of interest, Kim Jong-Un and John Coates.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31&p=274&hilit=twitter#p274

It's as if there is a lack of self awareness. Have they considered how these things would be viewed in the context of the current debate?
The Naked Webmaster

Not_A_CPA

Post by Not_A_CPA » Tue May 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Not to nit-pick personalities or stray for the real reason people are here, but your mention of "lack of self awareness" reminded me of the Naked CEO book and the note at the back that Malley is a "Linkdin Influencer" along others such as Barack Obama and Richard Branson. Using a social media tag as a sign of greatness is probably too many steps away from reality.

Sorry, Obama got in because he was voted in through a demographic process of the people, Malley got in because????

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Daniel001 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 6:48 pm
To make matters worse, my wife is a CA
Ouch!

Does she sink the boot at every opportunity?

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Drain_The_Swamp wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am
What staggers me is Malley's gall. He's like a kid with chocolate all over his face who says he didn't eat any of the cake.

Even if his salary package is the astronomical figure of $2million you mention, it's effectively much higher than this given his share of CPAA's promotional spend.

Meanwhile the grassroots gets nothing but the useless 'In The Black' magazine that goes straight into the recycle bin, unusable member benefits and over-priced educational offerings. Local discussion groups don't get a cent from the organisation while Malley and his cronies are traveling first class on overseas junkets.

Agreed, although i like the magazine.

GreenVisor

Post by GreenVisor » Tue May 02, 2017 8:44 pm

I've been a member for over 20 years and am comfortable not being under an alias as I review all three parties views and agenda on this - (a) Brett/Iceland group, (b) CPA board and executive and (c) journalists.

Does anyone have references to or concrete data on the make-up and numbers from the mid 2000's before the current custodians arrived ? Accounts, positions, remuneration, membership etc. What empirically has changed and via what mechanism ?

As an admission I am not part of "Our Plan". This really only came to my attention yesterday with the Board email.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue May 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi GreenVisor,

Brett will have this information in the emails forum. There were several changes to the constitution approved by around 300 votes or less. It seems that most members at the time just assumed that someone else would handle it, that they could trust those in charge. You can get older version of the constitution from the CPA website, but I don't think you can get the version before the first changes. Anyway give CPAA a call. Let us know how you go.

Directors were volunteers before the changes started about 10 or 11 years ago. How's that for a pay rise!

You are part of our plan. Your a CPA so your in buddy! If the plans wrong or can be improved let us know. We are not a super well funded bureaucracy that is trying to impose our will on everyone else, we only want to reflect what members want.

Rouges, Iceland group. Lol.
The Naked Webmaster

Mr Integrity

Post by Mr Integrity » Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 am

Hi Brett

Your company Excellere Pty Ltd was deregistered pursuant to section 601AB of the Corporations Act.

That would be an ASIC initiated deregistration not a voluntary deregistration.

the sort of deregistration that happens when a company does not pay its ASIC fees or respond to ASIC correspondence.

are you sure you are the right person to be throwing stones at our CEO?

Mr Integrity

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am

Mr Integrity, what relevance is Bretts business dealings to the corporate governance issues at CPA Australia?

If your so concerned about getting more information, perhaps you could ask Alex when you see him in head office what his total remuneration was for 2015-16. Did it include a bonus?

Also, did he disclose to the Board when he applied for the job the reason why he left Macquarie University?
Last edited by JJF on Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 7:31 am

Mr Integrity,

Brett has already answered this question on another forum:

"I just let a company I owned be deregistered when I completed a largish contract with a client. The company structure was not worth it for me if I was not going to continue in any form of public practice type work."

Note that he did not say it was a voluntary deregistration. I agree with JJF there is no relevance.

So Mr Integrity, about you. Do you work at CPA Australia? Related to Alex Malley? You've been working on this since at least 22 March so why are you trying so hard to bring up some dirt on Brett. This the best you got?
The Naked Webmaster

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Mr Integrity is going to be outside Brett's house looking through his bin on collection night.

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Wed May 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Mr Integrity won't be there because his secretary at 111 Harrowing Street can't get a business class ticket on Qantas to Armidale or a 5 star hotel in Armidale.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed May 03, 2017 10:36 pm

I think Better Call Saul you have nailed it in one.
It is very enlightening for us all to read Bryce Corbetts column way back on 1st March 2017 which also nails pretty well the social media skills at CPA Australia, and how well they are utilised.
Make sure you scroll right through to get all the pretty pictures at the end after all a picture says a lot more than a thousand words.
And here you get three or four beauties which give us more a feel for the way CPA social media works than anything I can say will better.
So, when you think CPA Australia and social media expertise, you can't beat Bryce Corbett's short article for providing a brilliant summary of how it works.
It is attached for your reading.
Attachments
AFR 1st March 2017.pdf
(581.24 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Not worth going then, there's not going to be any lobster in Brett's bin

Sully

Post by Sully » Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 am

I work for an organisation of similar size as CPA Australia, he takes $310,000 + car + super.

5 x exec managers take 80% of that.

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:32 am

Drain_The_Swamp wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:53 am

Yes, our local members committee has to beg steal scrape and borrow to get local networking events up and running, and yet the board and Malley waste members funds at a disgraceful rate - millions and millions wasted on the self indulgent tripe of a few narcissists

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am

Mr Integrity wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 am
Hi Brett

Your company Excellere Pty Ltd was deregistered pursuant to section 601AB of the Corporations Act.

That would be an ASIC initiated deregistration not a voluntary deregistration.

the sort of deregistration that happens when a company does not pay its ASIC fees or respond to ASIC correspondence.

are you sure you are the right person to be throwing stones at our CEO?

Mr Integrity
Hi Mr Integrity (or Wade, Awty, Hughes, Carlin, Malley whoever you may be??)

You can try to character assassinate any member who speaks up about the issues being raised on this forum, but it doesn't change the fact the issues being raised here are real and must be dealt with and they are not going away, and there are a lot of upset CPA members who will follow this thru for as long as it takes, until there is significant changes to governance, remuneration of the board and overall transparency NOT TO MENTION IMPROVING THE LOT OF MEMBERS because it is the right thing to do for the overall membership - after all this is a membership organisation, is it not?

So nice try at deflecting attention from the real issues at hand

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:41 am

JJF wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:20 am
Mr Integrity, what relevance is Bretts business dealings to the corporate governance issues at CPA Australia?

If your so concerned about getting more information, perhaps you could ask Alex when you see him in head office what his total remuneration was for 2015-16. Did it include a bonus?

Also, did he disclose to the Board when he applied for the job the reason why he left Macquarie University?
Malley's mates on the board would have known about it already