Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Chance to quiz the ringmaster

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
The Cyclist

Chance to quiz the ringmaster

Post by The Cyclist » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

Whilst it might not be the AGM here's a chance to ask questions about disruption (of which there is much floating around at the moment and not all of it to the like of the board and managment) of the Ringmaster himself.

FLiFBO Network - May 2017 Meeting

We have an outstanding Networking event planned for May.
Great conversation, excellent speakers, leading discussion
- book your free place now!

Date: Tuesday 23rd May, 2017
Time: 2pm - 5pm, with Networking drinks from 5pm - 6pm

Please stay and network with your sector peers, have some nibbles and a drink.

Make sure you SUBSCRIBE at FLiFBO.org to receive all our free events.
Get your free CPD hours up!
THEN
REGISTER your free ticket at the EVENTBRITE site. Places are limited so please RSVP asap.

AGENDA
1. Introduction & Acknowledgement of Country - 2pm
2. Keynote Speaker - Alex Malley, CEO CPA Australia
3. Panel Discussion - Digital Disruption in the Finance Sector - 3pm
Three industry leaders give a personal perspective on digital disruptive technologies
and the positive and negative impact on the finance profession.
Questions and discussion from our Network are encouraged.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Chance to quiz the ringmaster

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am

Is Alex Malley going to give a keynote speech on digital disruption. How to do it or how to receive it?

Code: Select all

3. Panel Discussion - Digital Disruption in the Finance Sector - 3pm
And for free if you can stand it.
The Naked Webmaster

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Wed May 03, 2017 9:27 am

Can already guess his response, "This is not the right forum."

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 9:44 am

If you ask something like "What lessons has CPA Australia learned from the current digital disruption of it's operations. For example do you think it may have been better to let people post about governance on the LinkedIn discussion group and genuinely participate in the discussion and listen to feedback rather than simply ban those comments and users, forcing them to set up their own website, cpamembers.org" (yeah give us a mention)

Now I cannot see how that is off topic, that's a prime example of what not to do. And people are going to get CPD hours from listening to this guy.
The Naked Webmaster

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am
Well that was a strange event. I came out of the Malley keynote speech feeling quite elated and floating on an air of a happy and joyous future for CPAA but also a bit disturbingly deep down a bit dirty as though I’d been molested in some strange way.

I’ve got to hand it to him he is the consummate performer in front of a crowd, cracking jokes, enthusing the audience with all the good things happening with CPA Australia, and the fact that he really isn’t comfortable with all the focus on him as the Naked CEO as everything he does is because others think it might be a good idea, including his global best selling book, as a publisher told him to write it. Well that was such a surprise, who would have guessed underneath that confident multi million-dollar smile was a scared and timid individual merely looking to do his best in a challenging environment for the benefit of the accounting profession.

Except the truth may be somewhat different for those in the know and clearly a lot of the audience don’t know what lurks beneath. In a different world he could have made a killing as a used car salesman but unfortunately for us he has lodged his unique talents on accounting and CPAA.

His spiel which basically was a rehash of the same old stories you can find on the web and from all his speeches- like a comedian’s travelling show, retelling the same script over and over again with small adjustments to accommodate the audience heckling, although sadly in this case there wasn’t any, -sad childhood with a mother afflicted by depression, his ability to connect to the youth market, how great a teacher he is, how demonstrating leadership via the Naked CEO book and website by personalizing the brand is the future for CPAA, how Governance, Technology and Regulation were the three pillars they were focused on. How ironic is that given that Governance is a massive failing of the organisation.

The reiteration of retention rates and growth of membership was promoted heavily along with the fact or maybe that’s an alternative fact that the 82 opinion pieces published last year on “many things both social and of interest to the youth market were worth millions of dollars to CPAA” (his words not mine). Apparently and I’m not sure where they live but millions of people watch the TV show on a Sunday and it is produced at minimal cost and broadens the range of the brand. I was gobsmaked to hear that he has 500,000 followers on LinkedIn. It would have been 500,100 but I reckon around 100 of us have been banned from the CPA page and 127,000 on Twitter, even though he hates social media and the NakedCEO website has had 6 million hits. Staggering !! And the royalties from the Naked CEO book go to pay for the content on the Naked CEO website. Which is probably why its of such a low standard- as they can’t afford much.

During his speech he was very critical of the role of risk management in modern business and at another point said he wouldn’t care if his role came to end tomorrow, as the job doesn’t define him. An audience member asked him given his criticism of risk what where the plans for continuing the branding of the organization given so much was wrapped up in him as an individual. Now this is where it gets strange- his response was that CPAA owns the copyright to his image and if he was run over by a bus (we can only hope) that his image could still be used to continue the Naked CEO and that much of the content of the website was produced by others. To which the audience member responded “ So you’re the Colonel Sanders of CPAA”. Brilliant.

Now I’m no lawyer but this raises some questions.
Is it possible to copyright an individuals image- maybe a caricature or drawing but an actual person’s image?
If so did CPA buy this copyright , and how much was paid for it ?
Is it held on the books as an intangible ?

Whilst drinks were on hand afterwards I declined to partake as I had a overwhelming urge to rush home and shower to wash away the grime that seemed to have permeated me.

The sooner we can get hold of the email list of members and start to expose to the many who are unaware of the real details behind the falsehoods and failures that management and the board are guilty of the better. Once members are fully aware of what is going on the constitution needs to be changed to ensure that members vote for directors as per FINSIA and that the nexus between the current board and the committees they control to stack the election process is broken once and for all.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Did they talk at all about digital disruption. I thought Alex might say something on that as the topic was digital disruption. If there were any tips on digital disruption please share them with us.
The Cyclist wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm
how Governance, Technology and Regulation were the three pillars they were focused on.
I thought it was advocacy, knowledge and branding.

This idea that he can hide behind others and say that it's not him writing TheNakedCEO is garbage. This guy is in charge. Hire some decent writers.
The Cyclist wrote:
millions of people watch the TV show on a Sunday
Does that mean at least 2 million, i.e. 1 in 10 people in Australia? Just goes to show you what kind of BS a good presenter can get away with.
The Cyclist wrote:
clearly a lot of the audience don’t know what lurks beneath.
Yes very difficult to get the word out. But we have only been going for a couple months so give it time.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 pm

What a great report The Cyclist.
You should take up writing.
You observe and write well.
I reckon a review of The Naked CEO is calling you!!
You may need an extra long shower after that one.
Having watched the parody done by Nate 1 (I think thats correct) I reckon all Alex Malley's You Tubes need to be reviewed with a similar type approach to show the sheer hypocrisy of what he says and then what is actually practised at CPA Australia.
Only a car salesman would have the gall to continue.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Wed May 24, 2017 3:16 am

Aside from watching In Conversation with [the Supreme Leader], this is probably the only free event enabling CPD hours!
Brett Stevenson wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:44 pm
What a great report, The Cyclist.
Agreed; very well done, and thank you.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Wed May 24, 2017 8:34 am

The Cyclist wrote:
Now I’m no lawyer but this raises some questions.
Is it possible to copyright an individuals image- maybe a caricature or drawing but an actual person’s image?
If so did CPA buy this copyright , and how much was paid for it ?
Is it held on the books as an intangible ?
Yeah, i'm reading this as Alex Malley's benefit to CPAA is intangible, which sounds about right.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am

I'm not so sure about the benefit at all to CPA, be it tangible or intangible.
The feedback I am getting from some pretty heavy hitters (CFO's, CEO's, directors of listed public companies as well as past heavyweights in CPA Australia) Is that Alex Malley is doing enormous damage to both CPA Australia and the profession.

That to me moves him into the liability section of the balance sheet, and that is why the individual board members of CPA Australia need to start asking some serious questions.
Now this is where it gets strange- his response was that CPAA owns the copyright to his image and if he was run over by a bus (we can only hope) that his image could still be used to continue the Naked CEO and that much of the content of the website was produced by others. To which the audience member responded “ So you’re the Colonel Sanders of CPAA”. Brilliant.
If this is true that the face of Alex Malley is IP of CPA Australia then I think the individual board members involved in making that decision, presumably back in 2013 or 2014, need to start explaining what the blooming hell they were thinking in relation to the strategic direction and branding of CPA Australia. We know for sure they included Petty, Wade, Ryan, Carlin, Dickson. Do the others want to put up their hands to this shocking decision if it is true.
That will hold us up to be the laughing stock of the profession for years to come.

I suggest the current directors need to ask what Alex Malley meant when he said these things at the this meeting and whether they agree because if this is true I suggest that they need to do something about it. We are a professional accounting association not a personally branded fiefdom of Alex Malley and his ilk.

C'mon directors you had best start speaking because this will be just another angle for the media to absolutely pummel you if there is no response. You cannot just remain silent in the same way you have remained silent on Alex Malley and Graeme Wade bullying and intimidating one of the largest discussion groups which has been heavily reported in the press. This sort of thing cannot just be ignored.

Silence is guilt by default, and I for one would certainly not want to be a director approving of that sort of policy.

C-PAid

Post by C-PAid » Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am

Brett Stevenson wrote:
What a great report The Cyclist.
You should take up writing.
You observe and write well.
Great News, The Cyclist - your opportunity awaits. The Supreme Leader's next literary classic ("The Naked CEO - Build Your Own Universe") is due for release in May next year:

"The Naked CEO's guide to achieving your dream, starting now From suspended schoolboy to disruptive CEO, Alex Malley, The Naked CEO, has led a life rich in successes and mistakes. Through it all he has learned a lot about what it takes to successfully build not only a big career, but also a big life.
Gain insights from a successful CEO who's lived a big life. Be inspired by his unabashed real-life stories. Learn how to dream big and have the courage to pursue your passions and be willing to fail in that quest. Take the practical tips and apply them to your own career."

Now where did I put that antiemetic ...

cpasteve

Post by cpasteve » Wed May 24, 2017 12:24 pm

One wonders whether CPAA purchased our dear leaders image, and for how much. My image is worth little, but even I wouldn't sign it over to my employer for nothing. Does it show on the CPAA balance sheet? One wonders if, even if CPAA elaborate on the remuneration, there aren't other payments to individuals that aren't included in the remuneration report.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 pm

I think CPASteve you are touching on one of the major issues with all of this.
Just what has Alex Malley received from CPA Australia, not just in remuneration (which we know to be scandalous and are just waiting to hit the media with that) but also in all these additional payments be it for the book, or 'his image' or even all his global travel.
What are the board members thinking at CPA Australia.
Have they considered The Australian expose recently showing his $11.1 million property portfolio, most of which has been built up over the last few years.
I can't believe a director such as Martin Hourigan would be party to this sort of behaviour at Just Group (and we shall be sending a letter to ask Solomon Lew just what he thinks of this) or Peter Spong at Ericsson, or Jennifer Lang at CBA. What do these directors think they are doing.
We are dealing here with a professional organisation that professes active involvement in maintaining the integrity of the financial markets, and the accounting profession, and maintaining a high professional standard of members. And what are we being dished up? Interviews with Nadia Comaneci and Henry Winkler for CPD hours, a marketing budget of millions to self promote Alex Malley to be the face of CPA, a reporting mentality that 'covers up' major issues with minimalist disclosure, a CEO who pontificates abiout good governance yet doesn't even allow the members to vote for board members etc.
It just reads like a sick joke.
And what do these directors say or do. Absolutely nothing unless their hands are forced.
Well I say they are in for a big shock and I would suggest those who have large employers such as The Just Group, CBA, Ericsson, Sydney and Macquarie Universities will be certainly made aware of the behaviour of these directors while ion the CPA board. This really is becoming more a tragic story of how some salesmen managed to take over and ruin a great professional organisation.
And what do they say - absolutely nothing when all these major issues are being exposed.
They should be warned right up front that what they say in their forced disclosure of the boards remuneration statement will have almost as much importance as the actual figures themselves.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:06 pm
Did they talk at all about digital disruption.
The panel did, but the basic take away is that technology will replace the lower end of the profession where automation can take over and this will lead to job losses, but not to worry as new jobs will emerge. However these new jobs may not totally replace all the lost ones so society had better learn to take care of those less skilled who will be more affected by these changes or revolution will run rampant through the western world. Nothing new really and we have seen this type of thing since we first emerged from the swamps. Think of the change from Stone age to Bronze age to Iron age to industrial revolution to today's IT age. How many jobs that were once common still exist today.
nakedadmin wrote:
I thought Alex might say something on that as the topic was digital disruption.
He was to focused on his disruption to CPAA by doing the hard things that no one else would, such as the TV show, the website, and focusing on leadership the youth market and all the difficult things that needed to be shaken up. No mention of the entrenchment of a select few with no accountability other than to themselves at the top of the organisation with self interest and financial reward being top of mind, the disenfranchisement and disdain shown to members, the denigration and damage done not only to CPAA but the accounting profession in general and the general dumbing down of branding.
nakedadmin wrote:
I thought it was advocacy, knowledge and branding.
Nakedadmin you are correct but don't let the information in the Annual Report be your only guide as we know how false and misleading some of that is. After 15 minutes of listening to him waffle on about how unassuming he was and all the good things that had been thrust on him and the fantastic direction CPAA was taking and how they were focused Advocacy, Knowledge transfer, Branding,Governance, Technology, Regulation, Leadership, the Youth Market, Global Recognition, etc etc etc I was starting to zone out and was looking out the window at a crane lifting a huge amount of scaffolding onto a new tower block being built across the road. Also I was thinking how I'd prefer to be out sailing on Port Phillip Bay which I could also see as the sun was sparkling on the small waves being gentled nudged by a mild breeze from the South East. My mind started drifting back to the drone of his voice and I started to imagine that unless CPAA had the use of a gigantic compound fly eye how could they focus on so many things at once when like the explosive sequence in a horror story when it all goes wrong for the young group camping in the woods I saw Malleys smug grin reflected in the 4,000 ommatidium receptors of that giant fly eye. That shook me out of my skin and dragged me back to reality.

In regard to the TV statement that millions watch it:
Agreed it is total Bull stuff. At its height Masterchef one of the most successful shows in recent times pulled around 1.4million viewers an episode. I reckon challenged on this his response would be along the lines of "Oh since its inception and with the online views around the world it has achieved phenomenal penetration into the Youth market and broadened the appeal of a career in accounting for many who would not have considered it previously". Again a total fantasy similar to his Twitter and LinkedIn numbers. But oh wait there's more !!!!! I forgot he casually announce that another 8 episodes were currently in production. Yup I'm so excited to see what aged superstar from the 60's he drags up from the depths which will no doubt ignite another squillion or so global youth to sign up to the website buy the book, purchase the tour T shirt and line the coffers of CPAA.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 24, 2017 6:00 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 pm
The panel did, but the basic take away is that technology will replace the lower end of the profession where automation can take over and this will lead to job losses, but not to worry as new jobs will emerge.
Yeah I have heard them push that line for ages. Basically everyone don't worry tax and accounting is complicated and there will always be a need for the high end. They just push leadership as the skill that everyone needs. Reality is they do not have a plan to deal with the technological changes of the next 10 years.

So basically technology is disrupting the accounting profession and we don't have a plan but don't worry everyone.
The Cyclist wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 pm
He was to focused on his disruption to CPAA by doing the hard things that no one else would, such as the TV show, the website, and focusing on leadership the youth market and all the difficult things that needed to be shaken up.
Wow established organisation uses technology to maintain status quo. Sounds really disruptive.

We are going to show those guys what a digital disruption actually is.
The Naked Webmaster

Not_A_CPA

Post by Not_A_CPA » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am
and the fact that he really isn’t comfortable with all the focus on him as the Naked CEO as everything he does is because others think it might be a good idea, including his global best selling book, as a publisher told him to write it. Well that was such a surprise, who would have guessed underneath that confident multi million-dollar smile was a scared and timid individual merely looking to do his best in a challenging environment for the benefit of the accounting profession.

Except the truth may be somewhat different for those in the know and clearly a lot of the audience don’t know what lurks beneath. In a different world he could have made a killing as a used car salesman but unfortunately for us he has lodged his unique talents on accounting and CPAA.
Is this actually true? Alex is not comfortable at all having his face used as the 'face of CPA', and only wrote a book because a publisher told him to? Isn't he CEO of CPA Australia? Who is running this organisation? Surely he isn't that uncomfortable with taking on being the face (dollars can make any fears or reservations go away).

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Not_A_CPA wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 pm
Is this actually true? Alex is not comfortable at all having his face used as the 'face of CPA', and only wrote a book because a publisher told him to? Isn't he CEO of CPA Australia? Who is running this organisation? Surely he isn't that uncomfortable with taking on being the face (dollars can make any fears or reservations go away).
Nah its more bull crap. its the old line of saying "I'm so humble and this isn't really my idea but I'll do anything to please you and make it work really well". He used it many times during the speech to poke fun at his age, his looks and his failures in order to make us like him and get us to believe he's a simple regular guy just like us when all along he is just full of psychopathic self interest. The man will say anything if he thinks it will benefit himself.
Think of a smart Trump.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Thu May 25, 2017 9:15 am

Brett Stevenson wrote:
At last I'm a published critic !!!

http://imdb.com/title/tt6140980/reviews-1

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Thu May 25, 2017 10:16 am

@TheCyclist

He couldn't even come up with an original title

The Naked CEO Kindle Edition
by Alexander Vemity (Author)

In our times, corporate leaders have supplanted royalty in society's hierarchy. Vast power, privilege and wealth are often bestowed upon today's CEOs.

The Naked CEO is the story of H. Robert Markham, the newly anointed CEO of EMP Inc.. Motivated by unbridled ambition and an indecent compensation package, Markham sets out to reinvent an already successful company and "take it to another level." As the story unfolds. much is revealed about the notions of leadership and followership-- their virtues and fallacies.

Amidst these frenetically changing times, The Naked CEO draws upon a classic archetypal tale to help us understand the constancy of human nature and the dangers of self-deception with its viral possibilities. This simple story brings to light the value of seeing things as they truly are and having the courage to take action

http://tinyurl.com/l4hsdok

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:50 am

The CPAA exec are making it clear. The CEO's marketing strategy is at the behest of others (the Board?). Exec pay was directed by the Board. Member communications on the subject are from "the Board" or at the behest of "the Board". Hopefully some of the directors are going to make a stand for their members.