Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Board of Directors Applications Open

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
Brownie2017

Board of Directors Applications Open

Post by Brownie2017 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:31 am

Does anyone know any more about this? It came through on the email today. The application is for a limited term - does that mean a current Director is retiring and returning?

I am hoping members will apply for this. They may have no chance of being appointed but I would not like the current Board to be able to say Members did not apply.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Board of Directors Applications Open

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 9:56 am

Surely there are some CPAs that fit the criteria that can apply. But according to some news I read there are 4 positions, 3 Directors are eligible for reappointment and the other one is for a non CPA position.

The fact is we will never find out who applied. The Representative Council only gets the short list a week before the vote and they only get the names of the others at the meeting when they vote.

We do not know which Representative Councillors turn up to vote. We do not even know who the Representative Councillor are this year or what groups they represent or if they were voted to the Representative Council or "selected".

We do not know how many candidates were on the short list. The reality of the process is that this year the NRC (group of Directors) could shortlist 3 CPAs for 3 CPA director positions and give that to the Representative Council a week before the vote. Then on the night the Representative Council can see the other names. They technically have a choice to vote for another name but they have not had a chance to review the resume. So basically: here you go Representative Council please tick these three boxes.

In the interest of transparency we need to know who turned up to vote, the names of the candidates or at least how many there were and in this case needs to be split between accountant and non accountant candidates. Fact is we get told nothing.
The Naked Webmaster

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 10:07 am

Actually there is another way.

If a majority of Representative Councillors find their own candidates. They can agree that they will vote those candidates in. They turn up and vote those 4 Directors in. But they cannot rely on the Directors to short list them as they have no input to that process.

Now to get a majority of Representative Councillors will be difficult as 1. we don't know who they are for 2017 (Brett please confirm) 2. almost half of the Representative Councillors were "selected" by Directors (actually technically a group or committee the Directors set up for the purpose of selecting the Councillor). 3. even Councillors nominated by Divisions may be hesitant to take this approach 4. who is going to pay for the recruitment process and candidate selection.
The Naked Webmaster

CG9999

Post by CG9999 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:02 pm

Apart of the Board Meetings (I assume 6 per annum?) does anyone have a good understanding of the time requirements for fulfilling a role as Director of CPAA?

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed May 03, 2017 4:01 pm

I have no idea who the Representative Councillors are for CPA Australia.
I have attached a schedule of them from the annual reports.
And if you look at the 2016 annual report it doesn't even identify them in terms of the division or group they purportedly represent.
Their names have been taken down from the website.
It is a total mystery, and these are theoretically the people who we have elected to appoint our directors. I mean we must have 'rocks in our heads' to believe the twaddle the board have fed us on this in their 16th March memo.
Have a look at my critique of this governance process attached (pages 11 to 24 I think)
Also if anyone feels the urge to complete the committees or divisions in the attached excel sheet and then place back the website that could be useful in the future. If we do straight from the annual reports then that is about as accurate as we can get.
Attachments
Episodes 1&r Response to CPAA Memo 16th March.pdf
(513.92 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Governance Analysis.xlsx
(44.86 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed May 03, 2017 4:05 pm

Isn't it amazing that the current board do not even tell us what board members are leaving.
Its almost like a secret society.
Tyrone Carlin as Chairman needs to get on the front foot here and start being a bit more open and transparent.
I mean how controversial is it for the Board to tell us what directors are leaving?

Brownie2017

Post by Brownie2017 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Thanks Brett for the Rep Council info.

CG9999

Post by CG9999 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Has anyone considered exploring S203D (removal of Directors) of the CA if the Board continues to put its head in the sand?

S46(f) of the CPA Australia Ltd constitution allows Directors to be "removed from office pursuant to the Corporations Act"

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm

CG9999,

I'm in! So far no Director has broken rank so every Director must go. We need to find 12 replacement Directors who are willing to take over, fire the execs. conduct an investigation and fix up the constitution so that the members have control.

So I guess applications are open. I am being serious by the way.

Brett, You mean we elected people and then they did not tell us who won the election!

May be someone can contact each divisional council and request the names and contact details of the person they nominated then report back. They may have contact details of other Councillors. We should ask them if they are willing to source their own Director by passing the Director's choice. This is not dodgy it's exactly what CPAA suggest they can do in the 16 page memo.
The Naked Webmaster

CG9999

Post by CG9999 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:36 pm

I have sent email requesting details of the Directors who are leaving or are up for re-appointment. Let you know if I get a response.

CG9999

Post by CG9999 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:41 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm
CG9999,

I'm in! So far no Director has broken rank so every Director must go. We need to find 12 replacement Directors who are willing to take over, fire the execs. conduct an investigation and fix up the constitution so that the members have control.

So I guess applications are open. I am being serious by the way.
I would be prepared to nominate as a director (not sure I would be suitable but..) however the Rep Council would still need to rubber stamp the appointments. I guess if all were terminated, the Rep Council would have to find replacements. Do we have any Corporation Law experts on board to develop a strategy?

PS could be worth waiting to see who is appointed from the 1 September.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 6:08 pm

I think that section said there would be a replacement Director. So the replacement Director would take their term from the original Director and the Representative Council has no role. Someone needs to check my understanding.

CG9999, without seeing your resume I can only say there are 12 positions so you've currently got the job. Who else is in. I think we should get 10 forensic accountants and 2 lawyers.

I can't suggest waiting to see if they bend a bit, and wonder if they went far enough etc.
The Naked Webmaster

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Before I apply for a position on the Board, can the Company Secretary (Adam Awty) please supply
the "Board of Directors Charter", the "Directors Code of Conduct" and the "Board of Directors Handbook."

Finally Mr Awty, as Company Secretary, you will have maintained as per your statutory duty, a "Directors Conflict of Interest Register."
and a dossier of directors notifications received.

Could I ask you to please make these documents available to fellow applicants of cpamembers.org as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your assistance,

(ps I know I can do the job very well)

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 11:08 pm

This is great, after just one day we have 2 on the short list already, 10 to go.

But yes as stated we need to get that charter etc. better know what your sign up for. And now we discover yet another difficulty for the Representative Council in doing what the 16 page memo suggests and select their own candidate. Anyway if we replace all 12 Directors you could change it.
The Naked Webmaster

justice4CPA

Post by justice4CPA » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am

Having some experience here, directors have perks and status that they want to protect at all cost. This means that they will group together and fight it out.

What's more, they all run on the same ticket and it would be hard to break ranks.

It is not hard to be a director and it all take numbers.

The reality is that the current directors will use the resources of CPA to get re-elected if an EGM is held. If have seen this before, Outsiders like us will not have access to the membership list.

But it is not impossible to topple them if we have sufficient numbers. I think there are enough members who will support us if we can present our case for change well esp on the transparency and governance.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu May 04, 2017 9:40 am

The Directors have very little support in the wider membership. You can see from the reaction to the email they sent a couple days ago. They attempted to discredit us but it just sent people looking for where to join those rouges.

We already have enough support for force an EGM and at that point CPA Australia would be forced to provide the information to members which would include our information (I think).

We do have a membership list. Just that it's postal addresses so we have to pay for postage. But there are other options like phoning people and I think the users here need to be proactive to make it happen. See my OPEN LETTER TO CPAA link in the menu above. I reckon that would be the document to send around. But phoning and talking to people is more effective.

This website has existed for only just over a month and we have 264 members another couple months and we will get there. A point of reference is that the previous changes to the constitution were pushed through with about 300 votes.

I'd like to do that EGM knowing that we had the numbers. Rather than have a plan for an initial speculative attempt. The reason is that I think those who support it will be blacklisted in some way. Awty didn't guarantee to keep the names of people who signed the resolution confidential last time.

In the meantime we need to find 12 Directors as well.
The Naked Webmaster

Sunkcost

Post by Sunkcost » Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 pm

Very good "Open letter to CPAA" Naked Admin,

Here are some other points that might be worth considering when you do contact all members:

* The role of CPA, and the importance of strong governance as a benchmark for all other organisations.
* Members pride in what it means to be a CPA and the importance of the reputation with the public
* CPA/Directors not acting in accordance with member expectations of how an organisation with their responsibility should act.
* Growing reputational damage with growing media coverage as many will have seen articles about our body in the AFR over the past 6 months
* Hit hard on the refusal to disclose wages and numerous requests for disclosure as well as your comments on conflicts of interest with donations.

Top work mate

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks. I think I was focusing a bit on the reason this website is needed. In response to that CPAA email. The letter is probably not taken seriously by CPAA or the press because it has no ones name on it.

I've kept it short and I think it has to be short which means things get missed out. However, it's probably best to add some detail on the Director fees and payments to Execs. We'll know more on that very soon I guess. Feel free to take it as a start and add your own things in. If you do upload a copy.
The Naked Webmaster

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Thu May 04, 2017 11:51 pm

I don't recall ever getting an email, so i had a quick look

https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/about-u ... pointments

CPA Australia is seeking suitably qualified candidates to nominate for appointment to the CPA Australia Board for a limited term. Applications close Monday 30 May 2017. For further information, contact advising consultants Pacific Search Partners on +61 03 9631 1500 or theconsultant@pacificsearch.com.au

There's link to two documents also, the application form and the selection criteria

The application form has the following boxes to fill out:
Synopsis of career history/experience; please attach full CV.
Qualifications
Professional associations
Civil or military awards or honours
Current Employer
Current Position
Reason for applying
Any professional conduct determinations made by any professional body
Any investigation, inquiry, prosecution or enforcement proceedings by any regulatory authority
Contribution to CPA Australia / Service to the accounting profession
Two referees

Now, call me ignorant, but i would have thought that besides being a member of the org, anyone could stand for election to the board? Possible I'm wrong, since i am unfamiliar with some parts of the constitution, but it feels closed-shop to me.

As for the selection criteria, it's quite top-end: as you'd expect, they'd only want heavy hitters on board, but i did chuckle when i saw that under :

Relevant experience at a senior level in business, academic, government, the community or a profession. Such experience to be in one or more of the following industries:
- Accounting : large accounting firm located in Australia or overseas
- Accounting : small public practice located in Australia
- Top 100 ASX (or equivalent overseas index) listed company

and i thought, I don't think Alex has been any of these; Macquarie Uni, the Urologists Society; that's it? Yes, I know he's not a board member. I still laughed at it though.

One of the later criteria is "Academia" so he'd qualify under that, despite the AFR article that says he was "allegedly directing hundreds of students each year to undertake paid tutorials through his wife's company, without Macquarie's knowledge."

Thinking of throwing my hat in the ring, though I daresay I'm not qualified enough.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 05, 2017 6:57 am

Why only heavy hitters. Look where it's gotten us. They don't seem to stand up to Malley anyway.

Our selection criteria is different:
1. Willingness to fire the 3 execs
2. Willingness to oversee changes to the constitution to return control to members
3. Willingness to investigate the wrong doings
The Naked Webmaster