Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

David Spong Gone

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
C-PAid

David Spong Gone

Post by C-PAid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 am

Red_Ferrari

Re: David Spong Gone

Post by Red_Ferrari » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 am

For posterity, in case it's amended/deleted:
Board announcement

CPA Australia advises that Director David Spong has resigned his position.

We are aware that a media outlet is repeatedly contacting some directors and their employers, and applying significant pressure on them to step away from their roles.

This has been a systematic campaign of undermining, which any director with an employer, in any organisation, could fall victim to.

The toll it is taking on individuals and our organisation is unacceptable. The Board will meet on Tuesday with respect to these matters.

In the meantime, the Board remains focused on the recruitment of new directors through the usual annual process, while management continues to deliver at a very high level on the Board’s strategies.

Annual applications for CPA Australia Board positions closed on 29 May and our external executive search partner is currently reviewing those applications against the approved selection criteria.

Jim Dickson
President and Chairman of the Board
The scheduled board meeting, which is two weeks away, has been brought forward ...

Eric Nacpa

Post by Eric Nacpa » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm

And a new chairman

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Irrespective of them resigning, an independent review of the whole board and executive team and spending are a must, we members need to know and hold them accountable for their actions and responsibilities.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Time4Change wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm
Irrespective of them resigning, an independent review of the whole board and executive team and spending are a must, we members need to know and hold them accountable for their actions and responsibilities.
And we need the Constitution changed so that Directors can be appointed AND removed directly by the members.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Here's a 2015 quote from David Spong

"One of the worst things you can do as a senior leader is not be approachable. You become like the emperor with no clothes – no one tells you what the problems are, they only tell you the good news or what they think you want to hear."

If it that is a true reflection of David's views then maybe the Chairman is doing him a disservice.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:09 pm

So it looks like he resigned on Friday and the Board have been in damage control over the long weekend. Surely now they must resign!

Pacioli

Post by Pacioli » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Time4Change wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:52 pm
To restore confidence in the Member base, through accountability and transparency measures, an independent review is absolutely required.

The damage to our brand needs to be corrected ASAP, and Members voting in board and directors is a minimum.

aceone

Post by aceone » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Regarding remarks by new President and Chairman, Jim Dickson, as reported by Edmund Tadros in AFR 12 June at 2.03pm about "..the Board remains focused on the recruitment of now directors through the usual annual process..currently reviewing those applications against the approved selection criteria" - now I am sufficiently worried that I feel compelled to speak up.

The directors who have resigned are those who came to the role during the "usual...process". Those directors were unable or unwilling to stop the activities of what is being clearly identified as a rogue CEO.

We should all be worried about who will be approved against the selection criteria, and succeed (if that is the right word) in the "usual ... process".

We should all be <bold> very worried <end bold> because the same article says the Board's meeting has been called forward to tomorrow (Tues 13 June) to discuss these matters. I am hugely concerned that the directors selected/appointed will be to shore up the remainder of the Board rather than actively pursue the interests of members and the professional as a whole. PS: I don't care a fig leaf about being "one of the world's best Accounting bodies". However, I care a lot about the professional as a whole and representation of us the members. [FYI: I joined as a student member in 1995 and progressed over the years. I've watched the players play...]
Tracey Jones (right now, I'm too embarrassed to admit that I'm a fully paid up member), B.Mgt, M.Acc, DFP
CTC Taxation & Accounting Services Pty Ltd
Sorell Tas 7172

michaelk

Post by michaelk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 am

aceone wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm
We should all be very worried because the same article says the Board's meeting has been called forward to tomorrow (Tues 13 June) to discuss these matters. I am hugely concerned that the directors selected/appointed will be to shore up the remainder of the Board rather than actively pursue the interests of members and the professional as a whole.
This could not be more right. While it's about time the Board met to discuss the issues, we're running the risk of more Malley loyalists and mates moving up to the Board from the State Representative Councils, and this entire cycle starting again, as opposed to having some independent directors or independent State Council Members moving up and promoting change.

I'm also pretty surprised to still be only learning about resignations when they appear in the AFR. The Board's lack of transparency is just disgusting.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:13 am

I'm concerned that new Directors may not be any better than old Directors. The problem is that the constitution needs to be fixed to give members control. Also if we are electing Directors we need an engaging election process and we need information on how they performed and what things each Director has supported to make an informed decision.

Removing/replacing Directors with no constitutional change would achieve very little.
The Naked Webmaster

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am

Annual applications for CPA Australia Board positions closed on 29 May and our external executive search partner is currently reviewing those applications against the approved selection criteria.
Why is an 'external executive search partner' even involved? This is a professional association of accountants. Why not let anyone nominate (with a seconder or appropriate number of supporters) and allow the membership to decide who they want to represent them? With a membership base of 144-160,000 - pick your number - surely this can be done internally.

michaelk

Post by michaelk » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:04 am

Drain_The_Swamp wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:54 am
Why is an 'external executive search partner' even involved? This is a professional association of accountants. Why not let anyone nominate (with a seconder or appropriate number of supporters) and allow the membership to decide who they want to represent them? With a membership base of 144-160,000 - pick your number - surely this can be done internally.
A return to the membership base voting, rather than 'representative' councils, is needed. Having the voting membership vote on elections is easy nowadays - it can be done electronically. An amendment to the constitution may be required for this...

JJF

Post by JJF » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Nothing will change until members can directly elect Directors!

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:08 pm

JJF wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm
Absolutely. We need a broom through the system.

Also, as a Director, he should have been called David Sponge, am i right?

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:05 pm

JJF wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm
And sack them!

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm

I was thinking about when Malley will resign....

Then it occurred to me - why would he? Every day he remains he earns an additional $4,900 odd.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:00 pm

michaelk wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 am
aceone wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 pm
We should all be very worried because the same article says the Board's meeting has been called forward to tomorrow (Tues 13 June) to discuss these matters. I am hugely concerned that the directors selected/appointed will be to shore up the remainder of the Board rather than actively pursue the interests of members and the professional as a whole.
This could not be more right. While it's about time the Board met to discuss the issues, we're running the risk of more Malley loyalists and mates moving up to the Board from the State Representative Councils, and this entire cycle starting again, as opposed to having some independent directors or independent State Council Members moving up and promoting change.
Yep.

Although, you'd have to question the sanity of any Malley loyalists/mates taking up a role to defend the Supreme Leader given the current shitstorm.

This doesn't phase me too much, though, as it'd be a band-aid solution that won't outlast the current movement and real change will eventually take place.
Last edited by The Nude CPA on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLTHECPA'SMEN

Post by ALLTHECPA'SMEN » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm

i know the empire is starting to crumble but we need Malley the showpony gone as prioirty no.1