Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

SA Divisional Council meeting Tuesday 20/6/17!

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
deaneus

SA Divisional Council meeting Tuesday 20/6/17!

Post by deaneus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 am

I was able to get in touch with Ms Ivana Bosio, one of the SA DCs, and we had a quick chat over the phone Friday night.

- the SA Divisional Council meeting is being held this Tuesday night, 20/6/17
- it's a closed meeting
- the SADC are effectively an advisory board to take member's concerns to the national office
- they are unpaid volunteers

I have prepared a letter outlining my concerns with the current situation, and will send it sometime today.

As i only have Ms Bosio's work email address, I am loathe to put it on-line here without her permission (it's her work address and i don't know if she'll get one email or a thousand). However she is well aware of the common CPAs inability to contact members of the Divisional Council, and is discussing the release of contact details with her colleagues.

I'll email her again to see if there's an update on this so that we can make submissions to our representatives.

In the meantime, if you're a South Australian CPA, prepare a letter or email etc and i'll get you an address by Monday night.
Last edited by deaneus on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: SA Divisional Council meeting Tuesday 20/6/17!

Post by nakedadmin » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 am

Well done. I am pretty confident you will make the representations on behalf of us all. I'd focus on non compliance with corporations law and constitution rather than go too much into subjective strategy issues.
The Naked Webmaster

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:10 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 am
Well done. I am pretty confident you will make the representations on behalf of us all. I'd focus on non compliance with corporations law and constitution rather than go too much into subjective strategy issues.
Great minds think alike, Mr NakedAdmin. My letter to Ms Bosio is below; i completely avoided the strategy and went for the compliance stuff. Strategy can be right one day and wrong the next, but non-compliance with the law is non-compliance. Also, I mentioned some of the brand-trashing activities, simply because they are beyond the pale.

Dear Ms Bosio,

As discussed on Friday, I submit for the Divisional Council a letter of complaint concerning the current state of affairs at CPA Australia.
I am disgusted to say the least at the ongoing conduct of the board and upper management over the last six months1. I cannot recall in my lifetime a peak national body for a profession so tarnished by its executive as CPA Australia, and no longer have any faith in their ability to carry out their mission nor indeed run the organisation. We are supposed to be the beacon for transparency; instead we must be dragged kicking and screaming to provide information as requested by law. Our brand is being trashed in national newspapers daily; indeed I saw the AFR Editorial yesterday (16/6/17) call new chairman Jim Dickson deluded. Imagine that, Australia’s pre-eminent business newspaper calling the chairman of our board deluded! - and I would wholeheartedly agree. I call upon the SA Divisional Council to do all in its power to remove the current executive.

In keeping with this, my suggestion is that the Divisional Council visit www.cpamembers.org and see the grassroots support for Mr Malley’s removal. It is a bit further along than his quoted “6 members” (indeed, a s202B requires 100 members).

Kind regards,
Dean Kielpinski, CPA 9226647

1 Including, but not limited to:
(1) The overall opaque nature of the board’s dealings;
(2) The belittlement of these ‘renegade’ members by the CEO;
(3) The disabling of a function designed to allow people to “find a CPA”, ostensibly to stop members from organising;
(4) The removal from the CPA website of persons representing CPAs on such places as the Divisional Councils;
(5) The movement of the AGM to Singapore at short notice presumably to avoid scrutiny by Australia-based members;
(6) The request made to the company under s173(3) was not fulfilled properly, as items were redacted from the supplied list [notably, email addresses, ostensibly to impede];
(7) The s202B notice lodged with CPA Australia on 28/4/2017 and provided on 30/5 was prepared incorrectly;
(8) Revelations concerning remuneration paid to senior management of CPA Australia, and that some directors were paid more than constitutionally allowed;
(9) The resignation of seven board members since this information became public (seven board members in less than three weeks!);
(10) The commissioning of an “independent” review with two panellists being people who have previously endorsed Alex Malley’s Naked CEO book personally;
(11) Revelations today on page 6 of the AFR (17/6/17) that “ASIC probes CPA directors over breach of duties”

And that’s all I can think of currently. That I can even get to eleven is damning in itself.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:38 pm

@deaneus

12) NSW investigation into whether it can continue to recognise CPA Australia as a professional standards body.

13) the establishment of CPA Advice seemingly in contravention of the Objects of CPAA's constitution

14) the payment of additional CPA Advice directors fees, undisclosed to members

15) the $20m line of credit to CPA Advice with $12m already "invested"

16) the appointment of Tim Youngberry under dubious "emergency" provisions of s60b instead of by the Representative Council sec44

I'm sure we can get to 20)

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am

After the link was restored last night, i wrote to a few of the board members (those whose emails i could find) and got this response from one:

Dean

Thanks for you email. I believe all members of the SA division agree with your comments and have asked the president and CEO to attend tonight's meeting to address our concerns. Although the CEO has send one of his. COO. I am also aware that other divisions have the same view and are also doing the same.

I hope this pressure and lack of confidence in the board and CEO will have its desired effect in removing those involved and restoring our brand.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Regards

so as you'd suspect other members are also livid, and the DC are theoretically on board.

However, doesn't mean we shouldn't keep pressure on them. Remember to contact your DCs and give them your opinion - but don't forget, they're unpaid volunteers whose designations are also being muddied, so don't take it out on them.

...unless they say they support this rubbish, then go to town.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:42 am

Ms Bosio was able to get us a list of the emails for the DCs in SA last night, which i didn't notice until this morning.

SA Divisional Councillors

Amanda Taylor amanda.taylorfcpa@gmail.com
Andrew Dow afd.1@bigpond.com
Andrew Johnson andrew@akjohnson.com.au
Glenn Bain baigp002@students.unisa.edu.au
Monika Sikora msikora@adam.com.au
Julie van der Velde julie@vdvlegal.com.au
Thomas Zollo thomas_zollo@chariot.net.au
Denis Yengi dsokiri@gmail.com
Chau Chiem chauwork@hotmail.com
Paul Coram paul.coram@adelaide.edu.au
Thivya Mahendren No email details on LinkedIn

Since the meeting is tonight, right now is a great time to email them with your concerns, etc.

Keep in mind they're unpaid volunteers who (it appears) are just as angry about this as we are.
Last edited by deaneus on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:19 pm

slaa4044

Post by slaa4044 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Paul Coram is an academic I believe.

paul.coram@adelaide.edu.au