Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

CPA Australia – Board Director Advert is up!

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
CPAwhatever

CPA Australia – Board Director Advert is up!

Post by CPAwhatever » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 pm

:lol:
Link below: Copy and Paste if it disappears

CPA Australia – Board Director

Position description:

CPA Australia is one of the world’s largest professional accounting and finance bodies, with revenue in excess of $180m it represents more than 160,000 accounting and business professionals living and working in 118 countries.

CPA Australia’s Board of Directors comprises 10 member Directors and 2 non-member Directors. In 2017, four serving Directors will reach the end of their current terms and CPA Australia is now seeking to appoint 3 member Directors and 1 non-member Director to the Board for a three year term

http://pacificsearch.com.au/current-opportunities/
:lol:

aceone

Re: CPA Australia – Board Director Advert is up!

Post by aceone » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Hi all - what is going on or off here? I looked at the link just now 5.46pm Tues 27 June and the advert says "Applications have now closed". What on earth is going on <sigh, shake head, despair>.
Tracey Jones (right now, I'm too embarrassed to admit that I'm a fully paid up member), B.Mgt, M.Acc, DFP
CTC Taxation & Accounting Services Pty Ltd
Sorell Tas 7172

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Is this a newly added requirement - "Candidates should also possess high standards of ethics" ????

sam77

Post by sam77 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 pm

I have tried to contact Pacific Search as to what happens with the submitted applications and no response as yet from "the consultant". Does anyone understand how the selection process works? From what I can see, it is not very democratic or transparent?

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm

sam77 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 pm
I have tried to contact Pacific Search as to what happens with the submitted applications and no response as yet from "the consultant". Does anyone understand how the selection process works? From what I can see, it is not very democratic or transparent?
I suspect the nominations will undoubtedly be "friendlies" to the current Board.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 pm

sam77 wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:49 pm
They actually told us the process. See the March 16 important member information. http://cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

Very thorough process done 100% by the Directors at the end the Representative Council gets to tick the box (and cannot choose to not tick the box). I'm simplifying a little bit.
The Naked Webmaster

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:26 pm
They actually told us the process. See the March 16 important member information. http://cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

Very thorough process done 100% by the Directors at the end the Representative Council gets to tick the box (and cannot choose to not tick the box). I'm simplifying a little bit.
I've just re-read it. It's 16 pages of self-serving motherhood statements and assorted rubbish which, essentially, says nothing. You can pick the pages written by marketing and the pages written by a lawyer. Interestingly, I couldn't find any reference, anywhere, to the size of the Representative Council (23), and how many of them are appointed by the board (11). How cute.

What happens if all members of the Representative Council do all of us a big favour; and simply leave their ballot papers blank?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 pm

Red_Ferrari wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:38 pm
What happens if all members of the Representative Council do all of us a big favour; and simply leave their ballot papers blank?
The Chair of the Board of Directors gets a casting vote. Nothing is left to chance.

The description of the Director recruitment process is very detailed but if you consider who is doing each step you can see that it's basically fully done by the Directors.

So they say the Representative Council could select someone not short listed. In theory yes but it would require them to do their own recruitment process one the outside without CPA funding and turn up organised to vote as a block. It's not a realistic possibility and these are going to be fairly conservative people volunteering believing they are doing the right thing and giving back.
The Naked Webmaster

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 am

nakedadmin wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:14 pm
The Chair of the Board of Directors gets a casting vote. Nothing is left to chance.
geez, the existing board still elect themselves (their replacements) via the Chairman, and we're in the grandstands watching. It'd be a brave chairman who chose to exercise his casting vote if all 23 returned blank ballots (as against calling an EGM to let the members decide).

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:31 am

I think he basically did that with the appointment of Tim. They have not even bothered explaining it to members other than claiming the constitution allows it. Although anyone who's read the constitution can see it's only allowed in the case of an emergency not business as usual. An EGM should have been called at that point.

So when they have an actual real rule to back up a casting vote they would use it. As I've said past experience shows sometimes they don't even worry about having a rule to support their actions.
The Naked Webmaster

ziffelmac

Post by ziffelmac » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:26 pm

I was thinking of running to shake the place up a bit, but then thought - maybe the body is too infected for any vaccine to make a difference.
Prefer to support Brett's legal avenues.

RobertC