Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Announcement from the Board of CPA Australia

Let's look in detail at our directors individually so the term 'the board' does not minimise their individual responsibility for decisions made and oversight in relation to many of these issues.
fidgetspinner

Re: Announcement from the Board of CPA Australia

Post by fidgetspinner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 am

nakedadmin wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:57 pm
We would not know what Dickson is on at the moment.About $400K is the maximum as per the constitution but they have said they are allowed to pay whatever they like from CPAA Advice. I guess it's probable that he is on the same as Tyrone was which is over $400K, yes over the Article 45 limit. But the figure which I previously calculated was less than $500K.
I found this article again from AFR: Carlin earned $184,166 as chairman last year and a further $70,000 as chairman of CPA's new financial advice arm

http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 531-gwh0cf

As I recall Dickson wasn't never on CPA Advice and could be on just the $184k

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 am

fidgetspinner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 am
Carlin earned $184,166 as chairman last year and a further $70,000 as chairman of CPA's new financial advice arm
Yes, but the $184K includes only 3 months at Chairman rates. The annualised amount is over $400K.
The Naked Webmaster

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:40 am

fidgetspinner wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 am
certified sane wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:56 pm
What a joke. Do they truly believe members will be happy with their half baked idea that they can appoint new members onto remuneration committee, new directors onto the board and a new CEO.
I hear you but there will be a majority or totality of new directors who were never part of the Alex thing so that is a big win and you can be that the new CEO will not be penning a book anytime soon!
We don't know who these new Directors are going to be and what they stand for. We are going to keep going with this until members have control. However the focus on removing the Directors will have to shift to pressuring the Directors to do the right thing, and then spill if they don't.
The Naked Webmaster

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm

No matter the outcome, a full investigation is a must. The Senate should also continue with the inquiry because those board of directors have to be held accountable. We should not stop here because one they have devalue the CPA Australia designation, second they have ripped us off by charging enormous fees and did not at all serve us members. Their goals were to promote the ex CEO and also to become the biggest accounting bodies while sacrificing us current members. They totally failed us - members. The constitution has to be change and representative council has to be removed. There are too many layers at CPA Australia that need to be changed, We members want direct access to the board not some divisional councils that did not stand up for us members. The board in reality reports to us members and that channel of communication has to be open.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Time4Change wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm
We members want direct access to the board not some divisional councils that did not stand up for us members.
That's hitting the nail on the head.
The Naked Webmaster

Ken Crout

Post by Ken Crout » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:31 pm

At the risk of appearing to be a snivelling sycophant, I can only agree with the sentiments expressed above. We must all work to eliminate the tedious level of bureaucracy in CPA Australia and return it to its original purpose, a simple organisation representing professional accountants . . a not-for-profit organisation.How hard can this be?

Were we all asleep when our Naked CEO pranced onto the stage? The word "ludicrous" hardly describes Malley & Co.

And Alex's $4.9 million payout needs an explanation! Right now!

Tell me Alex . . . what did you achieve as the Naked CEO? (apart from getting rich).

And to the Board, past & present - - - were you out of your minds when you let this happen??

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm
Time4Change wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:21 pm
We members want direct access to the board not some divisional councils that did not stand up for us members.
That's hitting the nail on the head.
Since Brett picked up on the issues at CPA, I bothered to have a quick read of the last 4 annual reports, something I hadn't done since about 2012. I noted the following, just quickly -
1. the "huge marketing expenses" line has been pretty flat the last 3 years at around $30M
2. The surplus has grown from $68.7M to $90.4M , and cash from $39.1M to 97.1M over the last 4 years - in a member-representative NFP !!!
3. Key compensation grew 20% last year, ridiculous at any time let alone in a country where media are reporting wage stagnation
4. Here's a beauty: response rate to the 2016 Member Satisfaction Survey? Just 4%. Compare that to typical employee survey responses in large corporates of 50-75%

Is it any wonder we ended up in this sorry state when member engagement is so low, and some of the trends have been visible for years. If one outcome of this shambles is higher levels of member engagement into the management and Board, then that's a great outcome.

I know for a fact that some councils asked Alex and the Board the questions from members about the one-man-Malley strategy - at least 3 years ago. Its a logical question because the marketing expense is flat, so the spend on the Naked book and branding, and the TV show must have come at the cost of something else. The response back then was the same as Alex was trotting out on the ABC just recently: " Membership is growing faster than ever, retention higher than ever, its just a few disgruntled members, the member feedback is overwhelmingly positive, its a great story". What else can they do when the CEO is telling them to their faces that its all good? And, I know some Councils in both Australia and overseas were asking the questions again this year too.... but the Board was resolute in its "this will all go away" strategy. We are in debt to Brett, other key members, and the AFR for keeping up the pressure from outside.

This Councillor gave up a lot of personal time to attend meetings, meet with students, universities, other accounting bodies, and deliver CPD to members over 6 years until 2015. If it wasn't a 4 hour round trip from my office to the city and back home, it was straight off a long haul flight from business in Asia or the USA (my day job, not CPA stuff). I once led a council meeting at 3am my time, because of where I happened to be. All of this voluntarily and unpaid, on the notion that i was "giving back". So if you think you're pissed off about what has happened ....get in the queue.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm

Lets not forget all the hard working CPA Discussion group chairpersons and volunteers who also give up time to help run discussion groups, and encourage the next generation of future accountants and future leaders.

We all work hard to encourage, educate and foster a better, highly educated and respected professional, and we don't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and sometimes, have to pay out of own pockets. If the board get paid over the top remuneration, then why should all the volunteers, the discussion group chairpersons, and non-remunerated elected officials really waste their time?????

The management team, Adam Awty, Jeff Hughes, etc need to have their wages cut in half and more resources put into the areas where it is required, and not in the pockets of a very small few.

The grass roots members, even the young members continually complain about the fees, about the standards of the courses being offered to the members and the costs of those courses.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 pm

theallseeingeye wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm
I once led a council meeting at 3am my time, because of where I happened to be. All of this voluntarily and unpaid, on the notion that i was "giving back". So if you think you're pissed off about what has happened ....get in the queue.
JWheldon wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:50 pm
Lets not forget all the hard working CPA Discussion group chairpersons and volunteers who also give up time to help run discussion groups, and encourage the next generation of future accountants and future leaders.
The Naked Webmaster