Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Messages of support and positive feedback

Messages of support or otherwise and feedback
nakedadmin
Site Admin

Messages of support and positive feedback

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 8:23 am

It's taken a bit of effort to get this far and obviously an incredible effort from Brett. Brett has already received many emails of support, but it would be good to post them here as well so that everyone including CPA Australia and the Directors can see the support we have.
The Naked Webmaster

gpapaniko

Re: Messages of support and positive feedback

Post by gpapaniko » Wed May 03, 2017 8:36 am

Brett. Keep up the good work. I have been a memeber since 1998 and became a CPA in 2001. In my accounting studies way back in the 80's I remember one very clear piece of advice. "Accountants must not only act with integrity and independence, they must be seen to act with integrity and independence". It's obvious that the CPA is struggling with this and its continued reluctance to come clean leads me to believe you have uncovered something here.

I have read your outline of the current governance structure and it demonstrates the opposite of that piece of advice I received in the 80's and concerns me personally

Ultimately my issue is that without addressing the issues, the value of my accreditation will be undermined and the purpose of this CPA will be lost

Keep up the good work and let us know what we can do as memebers to move our organisation towards the standards we are supposed to represent as members.

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Wed May 03, 2017 9:06 am

Brett and other members are doing a great job here to champion transparency and accountability in what is supposed to be a professional association.

I hope that everyone keeps up the pressure for change and that AFR journalists like Joe Aston, Bryce Corbett and Edmund Tadros continue to shine the spotlight on the CPA autocrats.

I would encourage all CPA members to consider contacting the above journos - either on twitter or via email - to express their support.

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 am

Keep going Brett!!

Finally, someone has raised issues myself and colleagues have been concerned about for a few years!!!!!!

I initially knew there was an issue with CPA Australia when the "CEO" interviewed Neil Armstrong.

The question was how did that benefit me as a CPA?

I rang head office to complain and the staff were dismissive - they implied there was something wrong with me!!

Seeing the "LinkedIn influencers" face on a billboard on the M5 was just infuriating, especially as our member fees was paying to promote HIS book!!!!

You are on the right track - not only does Malley have to go, but I suggest the whole management team and Board!

ziffelmac

Post by ziffelmac » Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Brett,
I will probably email you separately about this later on. A Divisional Councillor has emailed you to get onto your mailing list. She is on our side, so please sign her up.

jjleg

Post by jjleg » Thu May 04, 2017 2:20 pm

Brett Thank you for bringing this issue into the public domain. Most of us suffer in silence, I simply change channel if his name is mentioned. You are a good man and you have my full support.
JJL

WantToKnowMore

Post by WantToKnowMore » Thu May 04, 2017 8:58 pm

I can't believe what had been going on at CPA Australia without me noticing. I am glad they sent the 'warning' email to all members that sparked my interest and got me to search for this website. Now I am here, I am horrified to say the least. We need ethical leaders - not self-interested morons who are there to promote themselves and line their pockets at the expense of fee paying members. This has to stop!

Thanks Brett for all your hard work, we will get there! This can't go on ...

Captain Moonduck

Post by Captain Moonduck » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am

Incredible. I thought that I was alone in thinking that CPAA was simply becoming the marketing arm of that person I see pictured at every book shop at the airport. I often wondered if somewhere along the line I had accidentally voted for him (or forgot to vote against him, at least).

Unfortunately, after 30 years of membership I have come to regard CPA Australia as just an expensive license fee that I basically had to pay in case a prospective employer thought that I was a Chartered Accountant. I have years of back copies of In The Black (still in their original wrappers) in case they become valuable on day. Thank god for the discounted Amex card - that's the only tangible value that I get from being a CPA.

Why do my fees continue to increase when I get less ? Does anybody actually attend the overpriced training, or the various conferences ?

On a regular basis I have thought of trying to do something to make this body relevant to both my needs, and the needs of future accountants. CPA Australia needs an enema, and I support the current efforts for reform.

Congratulations to all those that have made the effort to get things to this point. What's next ?

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Thu May 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Brett, et al, sterling work to date.

Hello all, including CPA custodians and employees. My name is Mark Gilroy, CPA of some 20 plus years. I see no need to remain anonymous. My very simple view is that this is not a business, but a professional association, with a government permit.

I will be posting some documents here and on my Twitter feed addressing three areas of concern with CPAA: Governance, Transparency and Expenditure. All feedback appreciated.

I would normally suggest keeping this in house, but the current custodians of CPAA brought this into the public domain by establishing and concluding a lawsuit against another accounting body for defamation, and now threaten a journalist with the same action.

Feel free to contact me at mark.cpa@btinternet.com.

Tally-ho.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 am

What's your twitter handle Mark?

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Sun May 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Stomper wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 10:02 am
What's your twitter handle Mark?
@MarkJGilroy

cpasteve

Post by cpasteve » Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am

I'd forgotten about the defamation lawsuit. That was a bit of a fail wasn't it. I think both sides claimed victory. Did CPAA manage win their costs back, or was it another possible waste of our membership $$?

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am

cpasteve wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am
Did CPAA manage win their costs back, or was it another possible waste of our membership $$?
" Justice Dobson found that NZICA had been successful in its defence, both against allegations made by CPA Australia of defamation and in relation to any breach of the Fair Trading Act. Accordingly, the relief sought by CPA Australia – a declaration of defamation and monetary damages – was denied"

So basically CPAA lost but here's Malley's response"

“We believe Justice Dobson’s findings that NZICA defamed CPA Australia and breached provisions of the Fair Trading Act are a vindication of the action we have taken on behalf of our members,” Mr Malley said. “We commenced these proceedings as a last resort, and only after all attempts to resolve the matter outside these proceedings had been exhausted. First and foremost we were acting as a matter of principle to defend the integrity of the CPA designation, and of the profession more generally,” Mr Malley said.

So the Judge says CPAA lost the case but Malley says the opposite- is he living in some alternative Trumpian universe. Where left is right and black is white and what integrity is left in CPAA after he and board are trashing it themselves. CPAA were also ordered to pay $124,000 of NZICA's costs and obviously had to fork out the full cost of their own. Another really sensible use of members money- NOT.

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Mon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

Here is the link to the article. If you scroll down, interesting to note
the comments at the bottom.

https://www.accountantsdaily.com.au/lat ... tered-case

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon May 29, 2017 1:53 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am
cpasteve wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 11:38 am
Did CPAA manage win their costs back, or was it another possible waste of our membership $$?
" Justice Dobson found that NZICA had been successful in its defence, both against allegations made by CPA Australia of defamation and in relation to any breach of the Fair Trading Act. Accordingly, the relief sought by CPA Australia – a declaration of defamation and monetary damages – was denied"

So basically CPAA lost but here's Malley's response"

“We believe Justice Dobson’s findings that NZICA defamed CPA Australia and breached provisions of the Fair Trading Act are a vindication of the action we have taken on behalf of our members,” Mr Malley said. “We commenced these proceedings as a last resort, and only after all attempts to resolve the matter outside these proceedings had been exhausted. First and foremost we were acting as a matter of principle to defend the integrity of the CPA designation, and of the profession more generally,” Mr Malley said.
This says everything really!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon May 29, 2017 1:58 pm

It's a bit off topic for this forum but may be post the above comments here:

http://cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=168
The Naked Webmaster

Mike M

Post by Mike M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 am

I just read about Brett & this group for the first time in the AFR this morning.

I've held similar concerns for some time, particularly about the use of CPA member funds to promote the personality cult of Alex Malley.

The AGM being held in Singapore was just about the last straw for me and I was ready to hand back my CPA Australia membership, but this group gives me hope that change is possible.

Well done Brett & team.

ufbj

Post by ufbj » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:43 pm

well done guys and keep going. i assume being on your mailing list will keep us informed as to what we need to do to help fix this

before todays AFR i thought it was just me that thought the self promotion of the ceo for whatever future career he is seeking is beyond outrageous and all at our expense. to find out today that at the same time he has taken such a ridiculous salary is insulting

the whole board that has allowed this nonsense to progress to this level needs to go unless one or more of them now has the fortitude to stand up against this nonsense

you earn cpd hours for watching his bullshit interviews of nobodies, what a joke

i wonder how much the agm of an australian organisation in singapore cost us in first class airfares
Last edited by ufbj on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:56 pm

Hi ufbj,

Yes by joining the website you will receive some update when we get to it. But also join Brett's email list he is doing weekly updates. You can join here: http://eepurl.com/cNpQ05
The Naked Webmaster

memberdan

Post by memberdan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Brett & associates - with the release of the 32-page document and swell of media coverage I would like to congratulate you on your persistent efforts to seek the truth and expose these wrongs.

I don't think you are done but I do think a major milestone has been reached that not many of us could have achieved ourselves. Whilst some of us may choose to remain anonymous (in my case to avoid the hassle of retaliation by CPA), you have put your neck on the line, and pushed on with this fight.

I am pragmatic about most things and corporate life is not often fair, senior positions are often favored by excessive entitlements, etc that don't appear to add up on face value. That happens and it makes great click bait in the general media but I don't get too hot under the collar about it. But as a member of this so-called for a non-profit organisation that pays a $700 invoice and questions each year "why do I actually pay this?", I do find the evidence is scandalous.

In a past life I was shammed by my Big 4 firm for electing to become a CPA over a CA. However I made my choice and moved forward, thinking I'd done the right thing for me. Well, I was wrong.

We are levied an annual fee and held accountable by CPD points which seem to be more like a ransom to pay more revenue for excessively priced online and offline training courses. I have never felt like my development was the primary concern, it has always been a commercial offer with a hefty price tag. In turn we now become aware of these incredible salaries, marketing spends, international spending, side ventures and surplus of funds.

There is not much more that can be said. I am sure you will continue to fight for what is right, that is not really my approach and I will let my actions do the talking and will not continuing my 10-year membership with this organisation. For $7000+ I've got a not so pretty little pin, joy. My money is better wasted elsewhere, or not at all. Perhaps there are options to transition across to CA so that I have some kind of accreditation for future employment opportunities, that is to be assessed. Its a personal choice and we are all different.

Well done & Good Luck moving forward