Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Next Steps

Messages of support or otherwise and feedback
Stomper

Next Steps

Post by Stomper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:11 am

It would appear that there is strong momentum for change but that the Directors and Executive are holding on like barnacles on a barge. With media on our side the opportunity for change is strong but it will take some hard work.

I'd be interested in the next steps?

Personally I would support an EGM to force change, with the following objectives;

- Resignation of the Board and Executive
- Change to the constitution to allow direct election of the Board by the members, significant reduction in directors fees and annual ratification of executive pay.
- An inquiry into CPA Advice - review of business plan and expenditure
- An inquiry into CPA expenditure to identify any malfeasance and/or waste
- A review of CPA objectives / strategy

Thoughts?

BDC

Re: Next Steps

Post by BDC » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am

If the board resigns, does anyone know how much the executives will receive in termination pay. I would rather we resolve to reduce pay and any termination payments applicable effected on lower rates.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am

BDC wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am
If the board resigns, does anyone know how much the executives will receive in termination pay. I would rather we resolve to reduce pay and any termination payments applicable effected on lower rates.
Based on prior conduct I'm sure the termination provisions are reasonable NOT :x :x :x :x

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:01 pm

We need to build our numbers to 5% which I am guessing is less than 5,000, but CPA Australia do not publish how many voting members there are.

I think it should be a caretaker board that overseas an investigation and changes to the constitution. It would be expensive and difficult for us to draft the changes.
The Naked Webmaster

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm

Stomper wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am
BDC wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:22 am
Based on prior conduct I'm sure the termination provisions are reasonable NOT :x :x :x :x
It probably would be pro-rated to how many meetings they have attended within the year.
It would be infuriating If there were some hidden "golden handshake". Sometimes there might be life membership
granted. Though if they already have it, given the circumstance it should be given back voluntarily, or if not
revoked by the incoming board. In fact there should also be a review on all such life memberships. In my view
such life memberships should only be given after career of distinguished service. The fact that Alex M already has
been granted one has diminished this honor. Article 7(f) of the Constitution, which empower the board to grant life memberships
probably needs to be looked at as well.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 pm

chuck_meister wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm
Article 7(f) of the Constitution, which empower the board to grant life memberships
When all this is resolved they should grant Brett Stevenson a life membership!!!!

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 pm

Stomper wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:24 pm
chuck_meister wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm
Article 7(f) of the Constitution, which empower the board to grant life memberships
When all this is resolved they should grant Brett Stevenson a life membership!!!!
I believe the correct term in Australia is "%#&!en oath", if you'll pardon my language.

JJF

Post by JJF » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:04 pm

- Direct election to the Board
- Significant reduction in Directors fees
- Independent review of the operations, finances and business objectives of CPA Advice
- A review of all marketing activities
- removal of all existing Board members
- removal of the CEO, COO and Company Secretary.

How's that for a start?

If we can't get the numbers for an EGM we will have to include the resolutions at the next AGM , assuming its is held in this country!!!

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Here are a few ideas, just watch Alex doesn't think these about an hour after I post this:-

* Monthly webinar cpd free 1 hour
* If you do 8 webinar in year you get free conference entry
* Public practice you can free pi insurance if sole practitioner, 50pct off if less 3 staff
* Cpa negotiate bulk software price reduction for practitioners
* Cpa should be registering us with tpb
* Tax technical call centre
* Printing and stationary service
* Advertising public practice

Clydeh

Post by Clydeh » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

When looking forward to what should happen next we need to also look back (but not dwell) and ask ourselves "how did it get to this?"

CPA Australia, in my view, lost its way many years ago and many members have become apathetic towards the goals and aims. I must admit that includes me. This apathy has allowed the changes in our governance and rules such that we have had an effective takeover by a group of directors who have lost their way to say the least. The body corporate is looking after itself and not the membership.

The current board, no matter what their intentions, must go. The new board needs to be more representative of the membership and be part of that membership. If outside advice is ever needed, pay for it. The structure also needs to be reviewed and the board made more accountable to the membership. You cannot have a professional body that helps set and protect the standards that we work by being run by a board that operates like a commercial enterprise. Profit must always take a back seat to standards.

There needs to be a complete review of the mess. A new board is required that is directly elected. The current management needs to be reviewed (staff and system). The focus should be changed to retention and involvement of members - this will attract more members, this is how good practices get their clients. And stop trying to compete with CA Australia - they have been very restrained so far, probably because they don't want to be tarred by the same brush despite not being involved in any dubious activities.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:43 pm

CEO has nothing to lose, just needs to convince the Board to keep endorsing him, after all the Board carry the weight of the obligations here. Maybe circulation of a draft agenda for an EGM could start the process of recruiting the 5000 members to -

1) dissolve the board
2) appoint interim Board with the powers to set up an election and commission a proper review (how to make this work in a way that is acceptable to a large number of members?)

All the rest to be worked out by the interim Board once they have the resources of CPAA at their disposal. Board control seems to be the key.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Clydeh wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am
CPA Australia, in my view, lost its way many years ago and many members have become apathetic towards the goals and aims. I must admit that includes me. This apathy has allowed the changes in our governance and rules such that we have had an effective takeover by a group of directors who have lost their way to say the least. The body corporate is looking after itself and not the membership.

The current board, no matter what their intentions, must go. The new board needs to be more representative of the membership and be part of that membership. If outside advice is ever needed, pay for it. The structure also needs to be reviewed and the board made more accountable to the membership. You cannot have a professional body that helps set and protect the standards that we work by being run by a board that operates like a commercial enterprise. Profit must always take a back seat to standards.

There needs to be a complete review of the mess. A new board is required that is directly elected. The current management needs to be reviewed (staff and system). The focus should be changed to retention and involvement of members - this will attract more members, this is how good practices get their clients. And stop trying to compete with CA Australia - they have been very restrained so far, probably because they don't want to be tarred by the same brush despite not being involved in any dubious activities.
Yes.

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 pm

I don't know what's happening behind the scenes with Brett et al, however I would have thought the developments today would possibly necessitate bringing-forward the planned steps.

I.e. EGM??
Remove all Directors, appoint new ones.
Sack management including CEO.
Make change the constitutions

I'm just so annoyed and angry at the moment. Want to help out somehow too, even if only financially.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry!!

chuck_meister

Post by chuck_meister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 pm
I don't know what's happening behind the scenes with Brett et al, however I would have thought the developments today would possibly necessitate bringing-forward the planned steps.

I.e. EGM??
Remove all Directors, appoint new ones.
Sack management including that CEO.
Make change the constitutions

I'm just so annoyed and angry at the moment. Want to help out somehow too, even if only financially.

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry!!
Andrew wrote an excellent letter:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=366

The key argument is that the current situation is not an "emergency" in the sense of "dangerous or unexpected".
The appointed of the Tim Youngberry is not valid under the constitution.
Therefore, they are required to call a general meeting of members.

The other route is to force a EGM via obtaining the signatures of 5% of members.
Given that CPA won't disclose how many voting members we actually have, it makes it difficult to ascertain the actual signatures needed. This results in far more effort to obtain a larger number of signatures than otherwise would be required.

Other legal remedies. I'll leave this to Brett to update us. There has been discussion regarding remedies under s.233 of the corporation act resulting from (s.232) conduct of affairts that either are contrary to members as a whole or oppressive in nature.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/ ... /s233.html

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:32 pm

All good focus here from Clydeh, R2D2 and Heisenburg. Thanks for articulation !!
Good support to Brett and others to get some clam focus on next steps.
We do need to expand the circulation to more members as well..