Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

The Naked CEO book review by The Naked Webmaster - Prologue

Topics from The Naked Webmaster
nakedadmin
Site Admin

The Naked CEO book review by The Naked Webmaster - Prologue

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:04 pm

This section of the book tells the story of how Alex got suspended talks about his mother and school principal who became a life long friend.

He tells us he wants us to have a big life and never live in fear of failure. I say this because I'll come back to this in later chapters. I get the impression this is the central theme of the book. Given it's on the cover it's a give away. I'll be comparing how his advice relates to this.

He was suspended for taking some friends to meet one of their girlfriends at another school. He was suspended for 2 weeks, 3 & 1/2 days.

But here is the crazy thing. He says his mum suffered from chronic depression. He burned his mum with it but they kept it a secret from his father. So for 2 weeks and 3 days he pretended to go to school. He only came clean to his father at 21 yo, i.e. 3 or 4 years later.

First bad advice for young people: Lie, to your father no less.

This mistake he says taught him multiple lessons. But he does not actually say that covering up the truth for 3 years is one of them. I've inferred that from the facts he presents.

He says of his school principal "A momentary combatant became, for me, a lifelong friend."

Hang on a second, "combatant". What kind of combat happened? Cause, I missed that part. As far as I can see he broke the rules and got punished.

Second bad piece of advice: People who enforce the rules are combatants. I wonder what Greg Medcraft thinks about that.

Greg Medcraft endorsed the book and is quoted in the front as saying:
Alex Malley's book is all about helping young people have the courage to be he best they can. I urge them to get a copy and read it.
I guess he would just want them to skip the bit about regulators being combatants.

...and that is just the prologue.
The Naked Webmaster

DazzaG

Re: Prologue

Post by DazzaG » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 am

I vaguely remember attempting to read his bio when the book was first realeased. I was put off early with the contradictory messages.

A much more accurate bio can be found on AFR "CPA Australia's Alex Malley: the world's most ambitious accountant" http://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/cpa- ... 607-gwm3zh

ConcernedCPA

Post by ConcernedCPA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 am

Is there anything in this book that states or suggests it is the property of CPAA (rather than Alex Malley)?
Is the CPAA logo anywhere?
Does he say how great CPAA is, or is all 'me, me, me'?

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 am

ConcernedCPA wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 am
Is there anything in this book that states or suggests it is the property of CPAA (rather than Alex Malley)?
Is the CPAA logo anywhere?
Does he say how great CPAA is, or is all 'me, me, me'?
Copyright information

naked CEO copyright.JPG
naked CEO copyright.JPG (88.03 KiB) Viewed 5794 times

FCA

Post by FCA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am

We should all be given a free copy - after all we all have (collectively) paid for it and therefore should at least have free access so we can all learn from this self professed accounting marvel!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:23 am

Yeah how much would it cost to give us an electronic copy. I'm surprised they don't actually do it and use it as a way to inflate the sales numbers for the best sellers list. Much like the In The Black circulation numbers.
The Naked Webmaster

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Looks like there is a sequel..... 8-)
the Naked CEO sequel.jpg
the Naked CEO sequel.jpg (85.89 KiB) Viewed 5688 times

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ziffelmac

Post by ziffelmac » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm

re Free Copies.
They were giving free copies away at the last AFAANZ (the academic's organisation). Most of us filed it in the round filing receptacle.

BTW, I have been told that all CPA volunteers have a (legally) strong gag order on them. Div Councillors etc have something called a Deed Poll (never heard of this before), which means you get sued if you say anything Alex doesn't like :(

FCA

Post by FCA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:30 pm

If thats true, I wonder who pays the cost of the legal action - the CPA or Malley. My guess it would be the CPA - after all it has a virtual bottomless pit of money at its disposal (with its recurring dependable revenue stream).

Seems the AFR is running an article today on Alex Malley bullying staff who made him "vomit" and how he felt "sick at the sight of her". And this is the same Alex who claims he fosters a strong culture in the place!

Eric Nacpa

Post by Eric Nacpa » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm

If the reduced number of posts today are any guide - most posters must be on div councils :)

ziffelmac wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm
re Free Copies.
They were giving free copies away at the last AFAANZ (the academic's organisation). Most of us filed it in the round filing receptacle.

BTW, I have been told that all CPA volunteers have a (legally) strong gag order on them. Div Councillors etc have something called a Deed Poll (never heard of this before), which means you get sued if you say anything Alex doesn't like :(

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:21 pm

ziffelmac wrote:
Maybe that explains why none of the seven directors who've resigned have said anything, not one. Not even a syllable or a whimper. Did they receive an ETP after they signed a Confidentiality Deed? Ditto the people who work at CPA HQ. Not a syllable has escaped out of that place.

It's pretty hard walking in the dark. Will someone please turn on the lights.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:46 pm

ziffelmac wrote:
If true, that's perhaps the lowest point of this saga so far.

CPA Australia's sounding more and more like a dictatorship!

Wendy Shelton

Post by Wendy Shelton » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am

Hi nakedadmin!

Have you seen this youtube review of The Naked CEO? It appears that you are not the only reader to be critical of its content :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjBtXkAWng

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks Wendy utube was a hoot.
Be a very good PD Training video !!!

Ken Crout

Post by Ken Crout » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 am

A few questions :
How many copies of this drooling autobiography have been sold?
Was it financed by Malley or CPA Australia?
Was any revenue returned to CPA Australia . . . or did Alex trouser the lot?
Did the simpering pillars of society who endorsed it actually read this drivel?

Jaded Member

Post by Jaded Member » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am

Looking at the facebook page for the naked CEO, I dont think there is much doubt that we (CPAA) have been paying to his aggrandizement.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheNkdCEO/a ... e_internal

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:44 pm

Ken Crout wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 am
A few questions:
How many copies of this drooling autobiography have been sold?
They won't say.
Ken Crout wrote:
Was it financed by Malley or CPA Australia?
CPA Australia.
Ken Crout wrote:
Was any revenue returned to CPA Australia . . . or did Alex trouser the lot?
"All" revenue goes back to CPAA, apparently -- although, I'm inclined to think that would be a negligible amount.
Ken Crout wrote:
Did the simpering pillars of society who endorsed it actually read this drivel?
I have my doubts; I wouldn't be surprised if they were paid endorsements.

Dave

Post by Dave » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Ken,

There was an analysis done by someone that estimated sales of under 1000 units based on its Amazon ratings.

Based on the marketing spend (at our expense) it would be the most marketed book on the planet which should not even be on the reading list at an undergraduate level.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: The Naked CEO book review by The Naked Webmaster - Prologue

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 pm

I was intending to work through the book a chapter a week or so, but then they "terminated" Alex and gave him $4.9m so I've lost a lot of interest in doing this review. I read a few other bits and I can tell you that was tough work. One thing that really surprised me about the book is that it gives an insight into Alex's mind and that seems to be quite a scary place.

One example that pretty much sums and that I remember is him talking about how to get your idea approved. It arguably contains good advice that includes things like waiting for the right time when people show some interest, are awake, perhaps when you are in the good books and being persistent, but in my opinion there is one glaring thing missing which is start with a good idea.

The book says if someone does not like your idea, they could be having a bad day. It does not say your idea could really be bad or that you should listen to feedback.

I don't think it's going to be worthwhile to finish the review now that Alex is gone and they have deleted the @thenakedceo twitter account. I may start a review of the website which seems to be transitioning and has now got an "Ask a mentor" link where I think "Ask Alex" used to be https://www.thenakedceo.com/ I am concerned that it contains some horrible advice for young people although I do think there is a role for it going forward, if the advice can be fixed.
The Naked Webmaster