Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

21 Nov 2017 - Independent Review Panel Communique

A forum for discussing the IRP reports, both preliminary and final.
Magnet

21 Nov 2017 - Independent Review Panel Communique

Post by Magnet » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 am

21 November 2017

Independent Review Panel Communique

The Independent Review Panel has been continuing consultations with members and other stakeholders as it works on refining the Final Report and the detail of the recommendations.

Since the release of the Preliminary Report on 14 September, 16 submissions have been received through the website, 89 survey responses have been received and 21 stakeholder meetings have been held.

Panel chair, Ian McPhee said the feedback received from members and other stakeholders had been very useful.

“We received feedback on the matters raised in the preliminary report, including suggestions for areas where we may want to undertake more work. We also received feedback on new areas for consideration.”

“The input we have received, both through submissions and through meetings, has been critical to our work in conducting the review.”

The Final Report is due to be released next week (week ending 1 December) and will be available on the Independent Review website. Members will receive a direct email when the report is released.

ENDS

Magnet

Re: 21 Nov 2017 - Independent Review Panel Communique

Post by Magnet » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am

So we'll be getting our Final Report by the end of next week. Good work by them to have it prepared so quickly.

However I think the main thing I took out from the above email was that they only received 16 submissions through the website and only 89 survey responses. Not a great response really. Its no wonder that the Board are just hoping the disruptive minority will just go away!

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:35 pm

I think the quick final draft and the low response indicates lots of things both about CPA Australia, and also the IRP and their process. I’ll wait for the final report to respond.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 pm

With the submissions to the first one at 1,700 and then down to 16, I think the majority of members gave up on the IRP. The only other possibility is that everyone thought the preliminary report was just spot on and they did not need any further feedback. :lol:

It's pretty obvious everyone gave up on the IRP after the preliminary white wash.

I'm looking forward to reading the final version. Just to see what a complete bunch of BS it is. My guess is it will say there needs to be even more external (non CPA) Directors and there needs to be a committee to review the progress of the IRP report implementation committee, chaired by Ian McPhee.
The Naked Webmaster

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Hey I submitted something after the interim report..... Not sure they would have been happy with my feedback, I was quite scathing.

Anyway good to know the final report is due early December. Don 't expect much...... Will just confirm my decision not to renew my membership.

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:58 pm

Steve Hamilton wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:23 pm
Hey I submitted something after the interim report..... Not sure they would have been happy with my feedback, I was quite scathing.

Anyway good to know the final report is due early December. Don 't expect much...... Will just confirm my decision not to renew my membership.
We need your votes at the AGM next year Steve....that's when we will be able to make some real changes!

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:32 pm

I would love to vote at the AGM, but my membership will be well and truly expired by then, having joined in 1989. Can't justify $1,190.00 just to vote at the AGM. Let's face it there will probably be some tricky tactics by the board anyway at the AGM to shut down any "rebel" motions. You know "Oh sorry we've run out of time to discuss the board spill or revoking life memberships..... Maybe next year...."

I was happy to give the new board time to show they would take some action, seems like they are taking a "Move along, nothing to see here" approach to the past, which I just can't stomach.

The final straw was the constitutional amendments to CPA Advice the day before the old board quit, apparently there is no reason to bring that up in communications with members.

The old guard still seem to be pulling the strings and no-one appointed to the new board wants to rock the boat, by asking embarrassing questions about past behaviour of the CEO and board.

Anyway that's my rant for the day, happily I was able to become a CA under the pathway option.

Still keeping across the issues until 31/12.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Good on you Steve for your efforts and standing up on this. Totally understand why you are leaving.
I tend to agree with your assessment that the old guards influence has been strong to prevent effective action. CPA is heavily ‘controlled’ or influenced from Melbourne. If ever there was an opportunity for a really major change to occur at CPA to restore the organisation this was the time. And what did we get - a pathetic IRP professional whitewash after which many previously outspoken voices for change just went quiet.
I would like to imagine the IRP final report might make a dramatic turn and do the right thing but I think that is wishful thinking, and the reality is that the IRP has failed CPA and the profession badly.
But they will receive lots of pats on the back from fellow eminences.
I find it all just very sad.
All the best Steve and remember you still are a member until the 31/12 so you can still speak firmly and forthrightly. 👍

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Thanks for all your effort Brett, without you Mr Malley would still be wasting members money on his Naked CEO profile and media career.

Looking back on the campaign you have achieved a great deal, which you and your "rebel" team should be very proud of.

I await with anticipation the final report of the IRP next week.......

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:42 am

Wow. Steve Hamilton you could be the twin I never had. I could have written every post you did on this thread pretty much word for word. Like you, I am disgusted, and I am out.

I have already made a previous comment which Brett acknowledges: are employers now wondering what use is having a CPA as a CFO, when most of them won’t speak up when the situation demands. In their own association. But I will add a second comment:

If anyone thinks Australia has a simmering issue with Not For Profit Directors and CEO’s lining their pockets and wasting members funds, then look at this case study at CPA and ask yourself, do you think they are scared of being found out? No. What we’ve seen is fat termination payouts; en masse resignations but silence; quietly tweaking the bylaws to cover their legal expenses; majority of members disengaged; and no compulsion to provide a shred of evidence to an IRP or a Senate Committee. Meanwhile, regulators look the other way. Nobody is held to account.... so fill yer boots till you’re found out!

I also responded via the website , and am surprised that the total is only 16. Worth a straw poll on here, Brett?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:57 am

The regulators have given a clear message to these associations. And the message is:
theallseeingeye wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:42 am
fill yer boots till you’re found out!
...and then some.

ASIC, TPB and Senate all backed down.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:08 am

Spot on allseeingeye.
When you step back and look at it like that it really is shameful exhibition of leadership and of their UNaccountability to anyone.
The CPA Advice Rort and the Alex Malley termination payment are just disgraceful . But what is worse is that the IRP and the new board are not going to hold the persons responsible to account.
If the IRP final report does not come out with some firm legal action recommendations to hold the persons responsible to account I think CPA will have lost any hope of regainnng credibility in the marketplace.
It will be a badge of derision rather than a designation of integrity.

Mozart

Post by Mozart » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Question:

What can be achieved with the new voting block that has been developed through this process? Is it more possible now to influence change or is it still dependent on the divisions and those members that hold positions there?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Mozart wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:33 pm
What can be achieved with the new voting block that has been developed through this process? Is it more possible now to influence change or is it still dependent on the divisions and those members that hold positions there?
It's votes that count at the AGM and Brett is having some resolutions drafted. We've got many more votes lined up than what they have ever had previously. We may not be able to do much in other forums but we may well own that AGM.
The Naked Webmaster

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:44 pm
Mozart wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:33 pm
It's votes that count at the AGM and Brett is having some resolutions drafted. We've got many more votes lined up than what they have ever had previously. We may not be able to do much in other forums but we may well own that AGM.
We will completely own that AGM.

The Spillers group consists of approx 4,000 members.

Lets say we get 1,000 votes for our resolutions...in my opinion that will easily be enough for the resolutions to pass. The vast majority of members do not care and will not vote. And the Board will not be able to get that many votes to vote against it. I see some major changes occurring after the 2018 AGM!

That is unless the Board come along and make a change to the voting requirements!!

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm

I plan to attend.

In person.

I spent all footy season practising my booing.

Hopefully it's a belting too.

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:57 am

deaneus wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:54 pm
I plan to attend.

In person.

I spent all footy season practising my booing.

Hopefully it's a belting too.
I will be attending in person as well.

I expect plenty of boos! :lol:

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 am

I provided my "feedback" too - suprised (NOT) that thet didnt want an interview.

Still waiting a response to my question to the board regarding CPA Advice payments - Have they bern suspended?

Will renew my membership for 2018 to allow me to continue to agitate - probably my last.

They will need good security at the AGM as it could get ugly......

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Final Report Released!!!

It's white-washing time!!!!!!!!!

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm

I will add my name to the straw poll of responders. 16!!! WTF Surely more people have thrown a grenade at their recommending another review responses and lack of decisive action. That is unless of course the same spin masters are employed by the IRP as the previous board...

I too won't be renewing my membership next year. I can at least offer a final stand with a communication to the new board (who don't respond to anything anyway) telling them they can jam my membership sideways. I do not want to be associated to their idea of ethics any longer. Time to change my name, been certified sane can no longer be trusted.

Brett, you are a champion and if I didn't live the other side of the country I would drop in and buy you a beer. The only shred of faith I have left in CPA is with people like yourself and the good people of this board carrying the designation. I cannot thank you enough for your courage, conviction and tenacity. You have done more for CPA and me as a member in 1 year then the entire rein of the corrupt bastards who sent the association into the sewer.

Thanks