Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

CPA Australia and The Castle. Striking similarities

A forum for discussing the IRP reports, both preliminary and final.
Brett Stevenson

CPA Australia and The Castle. Striking similarities

Post by Brett Stevenson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 am

I was reminded this weekend of some of the great quotes from The Castle and it set me off thinking of how they could be just as easily 'reborn' into the CPA Australia context.
I'll provide a few examples of what I mean.
Why don't we open this for members to add their own views
1. Coco had a son. Dad called him 'Son of Coco'

CPA Australia appointed a new board in October 2017. It is called 'Son of 2016 Board".
2. Dad loved the power lines. He said it reminded him of man's ability to generate electricity.
He loved the word integrity. It reminded him of the ability of the leadership of CPA Australia to demonstrate the opposite.
3. Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest if just good luck.
The same approach as CPA Australia in explaining its growth numbers over the last decade

Daryl:
4. Dale dug a hole. Tell 'em Dale.
Dale:
I dug a hole
CPA Australia leadership: We paid Alex Malley a $4.9 million termination payment. Tell 'em Independent Review Panel.
Independent Review Panel: The CPA leadership paid Alex Malley a $4.9 million termination payment.
5. Dad, you haven't let anyone down. I don't know what the opposite of lettin' someone down is... but you done the opposite.
CPA Australia leadership you have let everyone down. I don't know what the opposite of integrity is... but you have done the opposite.

Here are a couple to try yourself
6. Steve could you move the Camira? I need to et the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore.
7. Tell 'em to get stuffed'.
8. We're goin' to Bonnie Doon. We're goin' to Bonnie Doon.

Magnet

Re: CPA Australia and The Castle. Striking similarities

Post by Magnet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:09 pm

I do love this movie!

Towards the end of the movie, after the lawyer Dennis Denuto has made it to the big time, he gets a plaque outside his office "As Seen On TV"....i can just imagine such a plaque hanging outside the next office of our former CEO!!
Attachments
As seen on TV.JPG
As seen on TV.JPG (27.75 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 am
6. Steve could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore.
Board of Directors, can we set up a financial advice subsidiary? We need to bypass the Constitution so we can get to CPAA's cash stockpiles.

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:47 am
*CPAA members start raising valid concerns about how the organisation is being run*

Board of Directors and Executive Management: tell 'em to get stuffed.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 pm

Dennis Denuto's closing argument:

It's the vibe of it. It's the Constitution. It's Mabo. It's justice. It's law. It's the vibe and ah, no, that's it. It's the vibe. I rest my case.
Alex Malley trying to explain membership numbers in that TV interview:

It's the vibe of it. It's the Constitution. It's Mabo. It's accounting. It's the vibe and ah, no, that's it. It's the vibe. I rest my case.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:22 pm

6. Steve could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore.
Graeme can you leave the board room? We need to pay the NBL so that we can pay the CPAA Advice Directors.
Director: The members will ask how much we pay ourselves.
Chair: Tell 'em the facts are yet to be established.
8. We're goin' to Bonnie Doon. We're goin' to Bonnie Doon.
We're going to Aus Open, we're going to Aus Open.
The Naked Webmaster

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:23 am

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't all paid for with my extortionate member's fees