Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

15th Dec 2017 The Saga/Nightmare Continues at CPA Australia

AHRI seems to have similar problems to us. If there are any members of AHRI who want to compare notes please post a message here.
Brett Stevenson

15th Dec 2017 The Saga/Nightmare Continues at CPA Australia

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am

We have recently ‘discovered’ that the new Chairman of CPA Australia (Peter Wilson) and another director (Jon Scriven) who were both appointed on 1st October 2017 also happen to be on the board of AHRI (where Peter Wilson is also Chairman) and that the AHRI has had a close working relationship/partnership with CPA Australia from at least 2015 through to 2017.

Coincidence? Conflict of interest? Just the way things go?

Given all the publicity and media/member attention to corporate governance and other issues at CPA Australia one would have thought that at least with a newly appointed board of directors care would have been taken to avoid both the perception and reality of conflicted interests.
The close relationship/partnership/arrangement (call it what you will) is beyond dispute. The AHRI monthly magazine in October 2016 (seven months after Joe Aston from the AFR stated exposing many of the problems at CPA Australia) featured an interview with Alex Malley along with publicity of the relationship. Peter Wilson acknowledged in a recent letter to the AFR (13th Dec 2017) the relationship continued until early 2017.
Yet when the possibility of this being a conflict of interest was raised Peter Wilson angrily downplayed the connection saying he hardly knew Alex Malley. To emphasise his annoyance that such a relationship was spoken of in this way he said that those members who inferred any conflict of interest or lack of independence were wanting to “keep CPA Australia in a permanent state of destabilisation” by focusing on “little pieces of minutiae”.

Well, you decide for yourself.

Here we have two new directors on the board of CPA Australia who just happen to also be on the board of AHRI which also just happens to have a had a close working relationship with CPA Australia between 2015 and 2017. Add to that the fact (and it is fact, let there be no mistaking) that the whole new board of CPA Australia was appointed (on 1st October 2017) under a far from perfect governance process openly acknowledged by even the Independent Review Panel let alone the wider CPA membership, and you have a ‘cocktail’ of legitimate concerns.

What is also amazing about this CPA connection with AHRI, quite apart from the above, is the similarities such that it has a deja vu feel about it. So much so that we are going to provide a forum on our website (www.cpamembers.org) for AHRI members to not only discuss in an anonymous way concerns and issues they have at AHRI but also to see how we have had to battle and fight all the way to expose really blatant failures.

Lets look at some of these similarities (and also some dissimilarities which are concerning).

1. Peter Wilson said yesterday in the AFR that his term as Chairman of the AHRI has been extended because no suitable replacements could be found after a three year search. Wow, can you believe that. In 2014 the terms of three directors (Graeme Wade, Richard Petty and Kerry Ryan) were extended beyond the then constitutional limit because no suitable replacements could be found. Well we all know what that meant for CPA Australia. Fair enough, that’s a matter for the AHRI. But isn’t it amazing how these leaders can sprook about how good their organisations are but when it comes time for them to be replaced all of a sudden no suitable candidates can be found. That is a big waving red flag. For CPA Australia it proved to be a fateful extension.

2. Peter Wilson criticises CPA members who expose significant problems at CPA Australia as wanting to “keep CPA Australia in a permanent state of destabilisation” by focusing on “little pieces of minutiae”. Sounds very similar to our now sacked CEO Alex Malley’s description of the members who exposed major failures at CPA Australia - a minority of rogue members. That was echoed by most of the leadership at CPA Australia. It seems that the way to deal with any member raising legitimate concerns is to castigate and ridicule them. That is a similarity neither organisation should be proud of. Forget the red flag, this is an amber light that has changed to red very quickly.

3. AHRI also adopts the minimum but legal disclosure mentality with its financial reporting. Crikey and they saw fit to appoint two directors from AHRI to the CPA board and to make one of them our Chairman. Just check out their disclosure of executive and board remuneration. Yes, just the same one line total as with CPA Australia until we forced them to fully disclose. The red flag is waving furiously.

4. But this perhaps points to a dissimilarity that is concerning. AHRI is a registered charity. Think about that a bit. I’ll leave it for readers to have a look at their annual report and financial statements to appreciate why the definition of charity certainly cuts a very wide berth with organisations like AHRI. Little wonder there are concerns being raised about the use of charitable status by organisations. But of course this striking dissimilarity did not even raise its head with the people who appointed Peter Wilson and Jon Scriven to the CPA Australia board. The red light is staying on.

5. Isn’t it amazing that Jon Scriven is a CA (not a CPA) yet he has been appointed to the CPA Australia board as an independent non-member. The whole rationale for having two non-members on the board is to provide an external ‘non -accounting’ perspective to the board, and here they are appointing a Chartered Accountant who is a director of an organisation (AHRI) officially registered as charity but has such striking similarities to CPA Australia that a partnership has existed between the two for a couple of years. A partnership or relationship downplayed now for obvious reasons. The red flag is virtually blowing off the pole.

You couldn't dream this up

But of course all of this means nothing to the CPA Australia board and divisional councillors and divisional presidents who have perfected the art of remaining silent when the storm clouds gather. Actually what they are now planning to do is develop a code of conduct to silence members such as myself who raise these matters - a sort of anti-whistleblower code. You couldn't dream up some of the things that are occurring at CPA Australia. We have had to force the organisation to establish a supposedly Independent Review which while corroborating the shenanigans we have exposed managed to amazingly hold no-one responsible and recommended that a code of conduct be developed to especially silence members who expose these matters 'in an unprofessional way' (my words but you will catch the drift). The Independent Review also managed to give much thanks and credit to the divisional presidents and leaders of the organisation who have been pretty much silent for well over a decade on these matters. I have called it a professional whitewash, and for good reason.
If the readers think I am exaggerating can I suggest you go the CPA Australia website and have a look at the Final Report of the Independent Review Panel which has corroborated much of what has been exposed over the last ten months. Keep in mind that it is a very soft report because after exposing and corroborating all these failures they made 29 recommendations (which I’m sure the new board will implement fully) which held no-one responsible. It makes CPA Australia a unique beast because it adopts what I call a unique leadership style that entitles the leaders (board and management) to many benefits and entitlements (and crikey they certainly knew how to milk these over the last decade) but no responsibility or accountability.

I call it Corporate Governance CPA Style, and would not recommend any organisation consider it.

Lets be good citizens and members

Thus in the interest of being good citizen we are offering a forum (on our website www.cpamembers.org) for AHRI members to discuss and share their concerns as we would really be disappointed if the CPA governance approach cross fertilised to your organisation.    
Also in the interests of being not only a good citizen but also a CPA member I suggest to the CPA Australia board that the way to breakout of this saga/nightmare and to show you are really serious about rebuilding CPA Australia so that it can be restored to be an organisation with integrity is to make four very quick decisions (and please do not engage another consulting firm to draw out the process and be soft). These four things will indicate to us that you are fair dinkum.

i. Take legal action to hold accountable the people who made the decision to increase the CEO’s termination pay in 2016 from an already ‘over the top’ two years annual salary (which external advisers had already told the board) to three years with no notes or discussion papers from that meeting held ‘in-camera’. To provide context it is worth noting that public listed companies cannot pay more than one years salary without shareholder approval. This really was an appalling decision (as one member recently expressed it) that surely we cannot just ignore.

ii. Take legal action to hold accountable the directors who approved the already scandalously remunerated directors and senior management of CPA Australia to receive additional remuneration from a fully owned subsidiary (CPA Australia Advice) of close to $1,500,000 in 19 months when the total revenue was under $50,000 and its loss was $7,200,000. This is just one of the many concerns involving this subsidiary but to ignore it while still continuing to pay directors fees to some of the very same people who received this scandalous largesse in 2016 is disgraceful.

iii. Ask in an open letter to the CPA membership that the directors of CPA Australia over the last nine years apologise for spending millions of dollars promoting the personal brand of the CEO Alex Malley (Naked CEO, TV show, billboards etc) rather than promoting CPA Australia and the profession. I’m sure those directors will decline but it will be a strong statement from the current board that it was a poor and misguided strategy.
   If the board want support for these suggestions can I suggest they just need refer to the Final   Report of the Independent Review Panel (30th November 2017) available on the CPA Australia website. Actions speak much louder than words.

iv. And of course it goes without saying that Peter Wilson and Jon Scriven need to step down from their positions on the board of CPA Australia immediately pending a review of how they could have been appointed in the first place.

Two obvious questions to ask are

a. ‘What will be the response of the current board?’, and

b. ‘Will the previously silent divisional presidents and councillors find voice?’

Will they see these matters as ‘minutiae’ and ‘permanently destabilising CPA’ (as the current Chairman Peter Wilson does) or will they address these matters as being of the serious concern that they are. CPA Australia cannot keep retreating into disinterest and apathy while these sorts of behaviour are going on within our leadership.

The professional problem is that unless the media and some members ‘kick up a fuss’ about these concerns then nothing happens. The one big lesson learned over the last ten months in particular is that members retreat into a sort of ‘professional silence’ which effectively condones behaviour because to speak out and expose these matters is seen as being so unprofessional and/or bringing down the reputation of CPA Australia.
It is discouraging and quite frankly a major hassle to have to be drawn back into talking about these matters in the public arena but we know the price of not doing so.
We at CPA Australia have paid a very high price for our silence over the last ten years.
Let’s not repeat it. This saga/nightmare needs to finish.
If we cannot resolve it ourselves I suggest either the regulator and or government will need to step in. That hardly bodes well for an organisation which trumpets the word integrity on its logo.

jendalitz

Re: 15th Dec 2017 The Saga/Nightmare Continues at CPA Australia

Post by jendalitz » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

I understand that AHRI employs a staff of only 30; at this scale would you not expect the chairman and directors to be closely involved in decision making and board initiatives like alliance agreements? In that case would it not be likely that the board of directors knew the key executive at CPA Australia to form an opinion about whether they wanted to enter into such an alliance?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:23 pm

Well they talked him up a bit here:

https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/media/m ... ember-2017
Peter Wilson is Chairman of the Australian Human Resources Institute Limited; and has two honorary chair roles with the Australian Network on Disability Limited; and the World Federation of People Management Associations (WFPMA), as its World President until June 2018. The WFPMA is the peak world body for the human resources profession across 700,000 professionals in 95 countries, and is based in Washington DC.
but they don't say AHRI has 50 employees and WFPMA would seem to have about 95 members.
He is currently a non-executive director of the Victoria Teachers Mutual Bank, and also Vision Super, where he chairs its Audit Risk & Compliance Committee.
Where have I seen that Teachers Mutual Bank reference before Tyrone?
Peter is an Adjunct Professor in Management at the Monash Business School, Monash University, Melbourne. He is also Chairman of the Advisory Council of the Victorian Institute of Strategic Economic Studies at Victoria University, and an accredited PhD Supervisor at the Latrobe Business School, Latrobe University.
but he does not have a PhD.
Peter held senior executive roles in the Commonwealth and Victorian Treasuries, and group executive roles at ANZ Bank, Amcor Limited, and as CEO of Energy 21. He has held non-executive director appointments on Boards of Dalgety Farmers, Kimberly Clark, and the Commonwealth Safety Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission as Chairman.

Peter Wilson was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2005 for services to workplace relations and safety, and community service, and was awarded a Centenary Medal in 2004.
Sounds like a resume builder.
The Naked Webmaster

GenYCPA

Post by GenYCPA » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 am

I thought I would take stock today and look back over the last few months. I found an old document that had been collaborated on by a number of members from cpamembers.org which provided a concise summary of the issues being raised then suggested some aims and objectives for the short, medium and long term.

Whilst it was never published in the end the headline of the document was "Our aim is to restore trust, accountability and public confidence in CPA Australia through the adoption of an effective and transparent governance structure." The key issues identified were: transparency and disclosure; corporate governance structure; organisational performance; remuneration; directors terms; CPAA Advice; professional standards scheme; constitutional and legislative breaches (including remuneration, disclosures, members registers and directors duties). It also raised a whole range of other matters of questionable effectiveness or ethics that you will be fully aware of.

If for a moment you take away the question of whether the review panel was sufficiently independent or the fact that it did not hold any individuals to account, it did complete a deep review of CPA Australia and the key issues that had been raised by members. I believe there is still a time and place to hold past directors and/or executives to account pending a proper investigation but my immediate concern is addressing the corporate governance and strategy of CPA Australia.

I would like to note that you, like myself and many other members, believe that actions speak louder than words. I hope all members take the time to compare the months leading up to the dismissal of Alex Malley and the mass resignation of the board to the last few months.

Previously (starting 1st May where I first became aware of the member movement to enact change):
  • Denial of the genuine issues raised and concerns of members
  • Special announcements from the board of directors warning against yours truly and cpamembers.org
  • A 32-page compendium of statements which designed to either mislead or misrepresent important issues
  • Removal of details for councillors and committee members & Find a CPA
  • Announcements regarding “false assertations” in relation to our professional standards scheme
  • Forced S202b disclosures
  • Terminating contract rather than standing down the CEO pending investigation
  • + everything else already on the record
Since 23rd June announcement of the CEO termination:
  • Return of councillor and committee details as well as Find a CPA
  • Complete refresh of the board (pending final two in a fortnights time)
  • Change to Nominations and Remuneration Committee
  • Changes to the Rep Council (within the limits allowed by the constitution)
  • Ongoing updates from the IRP including preliminary and final reports
  • Monthly updates from the new board of directors
  • Over 100 meetings and discussions with members including with board spillers, past presidents, TST members, all divisional councils etc
  • Member survey with options for freeform response to issues
  • Commitments to improved disclosures, member driven strategy review, engaging with members to propose constitutional amendments etc
I have witnessed a dramatic change because of pressure from members (and internal pressure from some staff and managers) but since taken up by many more staff, management and the new board. It is imperative that members continue to hold the new board and executive to account but I believe we must also work constructively with them and give them a chance to enact change.

I would rather judge the actions I see then continue to look for reasons to distrust the process – if I judge the actions to have failed or not be in the best interest of members then I will continue to say so. Members will have their say at the AGM – later then we wanted but our chance none the less.

Our constitution is our contract between members, the board and the staff of CPA Australia Limited. My view is this is the most important issue at hand and where most energy should be focused leading up to the 2018 AGM. Once we have a constitution that provides the right balance and protections for members – then I would be happy to pursue the remaining issues.
Robert McDowall CPA | Partner | Arabon Accountants
CPA Australia Queensland Divisional Councillor

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-mcdowall/