Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Greater Transparency on International Travel at CPA

Seems to be a lot of trips overseas by the Directors.
JWheldon

Re: Greater Transparency on International Travel at CPA

Post by JWheldon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:18 am

Greater transparency is a good thing all round in the Not For Profit sector. We have financial reports provided to members of an accounting organsiation which meets minimum compliance standards, but fails in providing relevant accounting information for the most important users, the accountant members. The financial accounts provided to the members make no mention about the costs associated about the CPA Australia Advice, or hidden in small print. Due to consolidation, which is an acceptable accounting method, the information about the costs and directors fees relating to this entity was not disclosed. Why because they didn't have too.

Where was the disclosure in the financial accounts about Alex Malley having his accommodation being paid for by CPA Australia, for doing a job as CEO in Melbourne. If you are being paid over one million dollars a year, it would be expected that you would reside in that location or pay for your own accommodation or salary package such costs. Again no clear transparency or disclosure to the members. What about the board increasing the payout terms for Alex Malley. So he ended up getting a payout of $4.9 million. WHY????? No disclosure in the financial reports, which may be argued is a clear breach of the accounting principles and accounting standards. Lets not forget the Rabbitohs sponsorship, which was never disclosed to the members which the IRP, found to be very questionable as an entertainment. Was any Fringe Benefits Tax paid with regards to the expenditure? Adam Awty is never questioned about this, and has yet to provide any answers to the members. He needs to provide greater transparency and he should be questioned by the members.

Yes greater transparency is required in many areas of CPA Australia. The board didn't want to explain how much Alex Malley or the board members were being paid, nor explain how much the Australian Open Tennis is costing CPA Australia or about the NBL cost. They just put a note into the financial accounts or argue that it was a business transaction which could not be disclosed. In other words, because the board didn't have to do it, it was not going to disclose it.

How much Fringe Benefits Tax is being paid by CPA Australia? How much did CPA Australia pay with regards to consultants fees?

Why is the audit function, not providing the confidence that is expected in the Not For Profit sector? Is it time to change the type of audit being undertaken to obtain greater transparency? The auditors engagement which costs over half million dollars, into an assurance of the accounting system, needs to be changed.

Is it time for the accounting boards, to stop putting their heads in the sand, and work hard to change the standards for a better outcome for the end users and put in place an audit function in the Not For Profit which provides assurance and raises questions, so to enable better transparency.

CPA Australia has shown it is a follower of the minimum disclosure and not a leader. This must be why CPA Australia, only got a bronze award from ARA with regards to its financial accounts, from an organisation it sponsored. They made a big issue of it in the 2015 financial accounts of CPA Australia, yet the truth was stranger then fiction. Transparency was certainly not achieved.

Accountability is certainly non-existent at CPA Australia, because a very small few were able to create a system, and via an accounting system, which the external boards have let continue. Change is required.

Overall, yes , greater transparency is important, but we the members will not get it unless greater changes in the accounting industry are made to force this change.

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Go back and look at any past post of mine on the subject. I think I was the first one to raise that a forensic audit should happen AND I asked for one in my first letter to the Board way before Malley was punted (never did get an answer to that letter but I know it was circulated inside CPA)

The new Board should want a review from a control posture perspective at the very least. They will pay a price for not having one, if another scandal comes out. I want one because it was our damn fees they were custodians of.

I dont think I can be clearer.

geoffrt0019

Post by geoffrt0019 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm

I have given due consideration whether going on the record is worth it or not...i am.not renewing. my subscription has gone to world vision.
Anyhow ms bowens comment about never disparaging a member can not go unchallenged. I had documented issues my discussion group had with cpa before bretts public profile.. I was ignored...so i posted my concerns on cpa facebook...i was blocked under instruction from a written email instruction from ms bowen...i quote...this unbalanced lunatic has to have his posts blocked....this email was sent to me by a cpa staff member....i raised this email (i blocked out sender per their request) and other issues with jeff hughes whose reaction was to tell me he was aware of this email leak and cpa had called in the police..so i take any comment from ms bowen as self serving nonsense...end of section and over and out. 😊

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:49 pm

geoffrt0019 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm
I have given due consideration whether going on the record is worth it or not...i am.not renewing. my subscription has gone to world vision.
Anyhow ms bowens comment about never disparaging a member can not go unchallenged. I had documented issues my discussion group had with cpa before bretts public profile.. I was ignored...so i posted my concerns on cpa facebook...i was blocked under instruction from a written email instruction from ms bowen...i quote...this unbalanced lunatic has to have his posts blocked....this email was sent to me by a cpa staff member....i raised this email (i blocked out sender per their request) and other issues with jeff hughes whose reaction was to tell me he was aware of this email leak and cpa had called in the police..so i take any comment from ms bowen as self serving nonsense...end of section and over and out. 😊
boom
The Naked Webmaster

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:26 pm

geoffrt0019 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 pm
i posted my concerns on cpa facebook... i was blocked under instruction from a written email instruction from ms bowen... i quote... this unbalanced lunatic has to have his posts blocked... this email was sent to me by a cpa staff member...
Wow.

geoffrt0019

Post by geoffrt0019 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 pm

Ms bowens post on jan 26 said she was in the qantas lounge on her expense after flying economy...when i pointed out it was a fron row seat on the ticket the story changed to getting an upgrade....fluid stories.. Treat members like idiots with lies.. Seriously if the board and senior cpa staff were pinnochio they would priduce enough timber for the domestic housing market😈