Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

To accounting professionals who are not members of CPA Australia.

Discussion about the proposed resolutions to be put to the AGM in May 2018
Brett Stevenson

To accounting professionals who are not members of CPA Australia.

Post by Brett Stevenson » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Both in Australia and overseas.
Especially those in USA, Canada and UK.

You may be aware of the decade of scandal at CPA Australia which has recently ‘come to a head’ with the entire board and senior management being replaced.
For a brief overview you can’t go past this summary which appeared in our pre-eminent national financial newspaper in January 2018.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 7bqYjQCWLL

I shan’t go into the sordid tale of the outcome of our recent AGM (22nd May 2018) which we hoped would end the saga. Unfortunately it is more of the same. I thought it might be helpful to provide just a few brief insights that might help you avoid the problems we continue to have.

1. The CPA designation has been damaged enormously in Australia in the eyes of the general public and the marketplace. It would be foolish to not realise that this has also impacted the image of the accounting profession itself.

2. Can I encourage you to take an interest in your own professional body to make sure you never ever allow your organisations to be run like CPA Australia where concepts such as good governance, open & transparent communication, responsible remuneration and accountability of leadership are beyond our leaderships comprehension. We have seen an abuse of power in all these areas for almost a decade, and still it continues. I shall leave you to wonder why that is.

3. The accounting profession faces enormous challenges so can I encourage you to make sure your organisation focuses on addressing them, and not ‘fiddle while Rome burns’ as with CPA Australia. Have a look at the objects of your organisation and make sure your raison d’etre to serve the profession and the members is dominant. CPA Australia has been and continues to focus on growth and the bank balance such that our reason for being has been forgotten.

4. Be aware that professional membership organisations can be a haven for rent seekers who can flourish if the membership remains disengaged. I would surmise your own organisations suffer this problem, so can I encourage you to speak up and get engaged. Doing the right thing involves individual responsibility. It’s hard work but it carries its own reward.

5. Unfortunately we still have a governance system (constitution) which is weak and allows for an almost unchecked power by our leaders, so the battle between the members and the leadership continues at CPA Australia. Make sure you have the ability in your constitution to raise important matters with all the membership, to remove poor directors, and appoint new ones. Things are so bad at CPA Australia that we still cannot elect our directors, let alone remove them. And the new leadership just refuse to allow us to call members meetings or communicate widely on important issues. Don’t allow this at your organisation.

6. Make sure you have mechanisms in place to hold your leaders accountable where they do the wrong thing. We unfortunately don’t such that the leaders of the past decade have been able to walk away with a ‘fistful of dollars’ and no accountability. We are trying hard to raise the money to take legal action but are not optimistic (even our new board refuse to take action thus it is left to us members to do so. It is unbelievable really). So can I encourage you to act now to ensure your leadership do not abuse their power in your organisation.

7. Our leaders struggle with matching the talk with the walk. The former they love, the latter they find just too darn hard to worry about (especially where the revenue stream is guaranteed and the balance sheet is solid). Doing what is legal/permissible and doing what is right are not always the same thing. Be alert to this. In normal times you would call the latter integrity but CPA Australia have so abused the term that it has lost all meaning in our context.

Cheers, and I am happy to answer any queries members in other organisations have on this matter so you can avoid what we are enduring.

Brett Stevenson
BComm MDiv CPA