Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

ABC - Entry exams and fail rates

Magnet

Re: ABC - Entry exams and fail rates

Post by Magnet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I have only been a qualified CPA for about 1 year, although i finished all my exams about 2 years ago.

I found the CPA program to be very challenging in parts although I did not fail any subjects. Some subjects were far easier than others.

I never questioned the course itself...if I couldnt pass the subjects they set, I would have realised that perhaps accounting is not the job for me. The exams are hard for a reason...if you can't pass them then maybe think about a different path.

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 pm

I never questioned the course itself...if I couldnt pass the subjects they set, I would have realised that perhaps accounting is not the job for me. The exams are hard for a reason...if you can't pass them then maybe think about a different path.
Steady on there young fella. People come from different back grounds and face different challenges. The failure of a CPA program subject does not mean they should question their chosen profession. Congratulations on your successful completion of the course, just don't jump ahead of yourself because it does not mean you are going to be a great accountant.

The issue in question is the framework that has been developed by a dysfunctional management of CPA. Big questions should be asked regarding why a professional organisation (one that is meant to be an educator of members) would outsource the provision of education? Why would CPA not look inwards to assist program participants to link with members/mentors to assist them through the process. My educated guess would be that they do not want full members to see the debacle the program has become under the money hungry management. God knows why paying members would want an employee to actually deliver an outcome beyond signing a contract.

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 am

certified sane wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:51 pm
Steady on there young fella. People come from different back grounds and face different challenges. The failure of a CPA program subject does not mean they should question their chosen profession. Congratulations on your successful completion of the course, just don't jump ahead of yourself because it does not mean you are going to be a great accountant.

The issue in question is the framework that has been developed by a dysfunctional management of CPA. Big questions should be asked regarding why a professional organisation (one that is meant to be an educator of members) would outsource the provision of education? Why would CPA not look inwards to assist program participants to link with members/mentors to assist them through the process. My educated guess would be that they do not want full members to see the debacle the program has become under the money hungry management. God knows why paying members would want an employee to actually deliver an outcome beyond signing a contract.
Apologies...that probably came off a tad harsh.

I know that I am by no means a great accountant and I am definitely not boasting. I am a realist though.

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Spot on when you quoted this

The PDL Academy, as raised by AFR 31 May 2017 - Rear Window Joe Aston
http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window/cp ... 531-gwhhzo

We can now see what was going on between former board members of CPA and PDL! This is nothing but conflict of interest and not acting in the best interest of CPA and candidates in CPA program.

Now we need to connect the dots between CPA program and Deakin University (who supposedly mark examination papers)? What prompted CPA to use Deakin University to do assessment of CPA candidates??

Not_A_CPA

Post by Not_A_CPA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:47 am

Not_A_CPA wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 am
I for one have not renewed my membership. I am part of another organisation where I receive so much more relevant benefit to my work. No spam for discounted courses that "to increase your career opportunities....." I think I get less spam from Kogan than I do CPA.
Kind of sad to quote my own post, but anyway...... Well I received a letter yesterday in the mail from CPA. No longer a member, must cease any recognition of any association with CPA, can't vote blah blah blah...... Might come across as sad, but feel rejuvenated and good about not being part of the organisation anymore.

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Gonna frame mine. I have two spare frames with CPA and FCPA toilet paper in them currently; something about “Integrity” written on them but I am not sure what that means anymore.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 pm

theallseeingeye wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 pm
Gonna frame mine. I have two spare frames with CPA and FCPA toilet paper in them currently; something about “Integrity” written on them but I am not sure what that means anymore.
:lol:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 am

I am considering writing letter regarding issue with CPA program after many failures for the same subject with very very similar mark. I am still unsure of who do I write to and can I write to Brett Stevenson for assistance?

Can you help me with that?

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am

I suggest Andcor you write to both your divisional rep, the Board, and to the new CEO.
Most of them are now new.
We can't hold the new members in those positions responsible for past failings, so give them a go I reckon.

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks Brett!!

By the way I am unsure of who is CEO of CPA as I tried Google to find out who is the current CEO but it still pointed to none other than Alex Malley!!

I was able to find email address for both board and divisional rep!

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:01 pm

His name is Andrew Hunter.
Go to CPA website, then media, then media releases, and you will find the board announcement of his appointment on 23rd March.
His CV looks pretty impressive, and certainly has a heck of a lot more credibility and capability than what we have just had.

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Wed May 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Have you heard the latest? CPA published "Exam myth busting - let's set the record straight" https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cpa-pro ... 1-May-2018

Is there any truth in this message? I am curious to know if members really do set the mark or was it somebody else?? If they do stringently marking to ensure fairness and provide assurance then why do they use "scaled scoring system"?

There is a quote "We are here to support you and we believe that with the right focus and commitment to study, everyone has the ability to succeed in the CPA Program. " Really?? What about tutorial providers who are too Sydney and Melbourne centric?? What about the rest of Australia?? That contradict the statement! Not only that they also insulted many hard working candidates by telling them to study harder, attend tutorial etc! Feedback from the exam is nothing but confusing and ambiguous!

There are much more issues with the exam and CPA program that haven't been addressed!

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:21 am
I suggest Andcor you write to both your divisional rep, the Board, and to the new CEO.
Most of them are now new.
We can't hold the new members in those positions responsible for past failings, so give them a go I reckon.
Hi Brett,

I received a letter from CPA (Rob Thompson Group Executive, Member Engagement and Education) dated 27th of April 2018 today which is 15th of May in the letterbox in relation to my letter that I have sent via email to CPA on 26th of April 2018! This letter contains three pages and not a single word of agreement with my concerns about CPA program and multiple failure of same subject! This letter does not satisfactorily answers my questions that I have raised. A quick turn around by Rob Thompson does not address the issue by adopting self-defence tactics by pointing to references which does not adequately provides answers! Why would they send it via snail mail instead of email?

I would like to share the letter with you!

So what is the next step not just for me?

Andcor

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Hello Ancor,

I would suggest that you attend the AGM, along with as many of your fellow CPA friends, to voice your opinion to the board about the CPA education system and vote.

Change can only come from the voices of many CPA members.

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 pm

Can members who have not achieved CPA designation vote at the AGM?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 16, 2018 2:01 am

Student members cannot vote. May be you could ask a question. I don't know if that is reserved for voting members only.

If someone fails a subject 3 times surely they could bring them in and sit down with someone that can explain to them where they went wrong. Of course they have to set some pass mark but surely after paying the fee 3 times we could afford to have an examiner explain it to them.
The Naked Webmaster

Andcor

Post by Andcor » Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm

That's makes me wonder if they really do care!!

We are getting the message that they wanted us to pass and gave us advice such as study hard or attend tutorial. They will not sit down with us who failed many times and show us where did we go wrong! It seems to us we are looking at a very high wall between them and us! So much for their passionate about us to pass exam while at the same time failing us and bankrolling!!

Not_A_CPA

Post by Not_A_CPA » Mon May 21, 2018 11:41 am

Andcor wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 pm
That's makes me wonder if they really do care!!

We are getting the message that they wanted us to pass and gave us advice such as study hard or attend tutorial. They will not sit down with us who failed many times and show us where did we go wrong! It seems to us we are looking at a very high wall between them and us! So much for their passionate about us to pass exam while at the same time failing us and bankrolling!!
They do care. So, you pay $1,200(ish) per unit. If you fail a unit you sit it again, so you may another $1,200. CPA have increased their revenue. Results are final and no-one can go and see their exam. At University you dont get to see your final exam, but for a fee can inspect it. CPA? Nudda. I understand becoming a professional in any industry is not a right, and there does need to be a bar set.

Imagine CPA running their own accounting practice. You come in as a new employee, get handed a job (basic fins and tax return). You go about it and hand it in for review. Your boss comes back to you and says "nope, got it wrong, do it again". You respond "ok where did I go wrong", and your boss says "sorry, review is final, you want to make it in this job you do it right".

People can either their professional body as a place of information and learning to improve not only oneself, but the profession as a whole. Or if their professional body is a closed door association only helping with the collection of money.....then one begs the question of why be part of an organisation you need to fight to stay with.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

CPA Australia is a membership organisation, which says one of its goals is to provide education services to its members. The CPA Program is just a means to obtain the basic status within an organisation known as CPA Australia. It is not designed as a advanced training for accountants in either industry, government nor public practice. It is not a stepping stone for those that undertake the course to obtain jobs within their relevant place of work. The CPA Program provides lots of idealistic theory, and probably little practical training. The real training is done by the relevant organization, or on the job training and really up to the individual to learn. CPA Australia sees the opportunity to provide educational courses, and make money from the provision of those courses. These courses would be in addition to the basic CPA Program, which may help those accountants that work in certain industries, to improve their knowledge.

The CPA Program is certainly no Professional Year program or PY, which is run by the Institute of Chartered Accountants. Unfortunately the PY program is in endanger of itself become a CPA Program in the means to cut costs and maximise returns via the online technology and reduction of actual classroom teaching.

So, for those that are having problems with passing certain modules of the CPA Program, it is important to review the modules that you undertake, to ensure the relevance of the units undertaken and whether these modules will help you in the actual job, and whether you believe you can successfully complete. The basic modules of the CPA Program are not designed for members to fail, but it does happen. The other modules are seen as a basic rehash of the university course units with some additions relating to ethics etc. The problem is the use of the multiple choice questions on the exam. Yes there are always two answers which are basically right, and one answer which is the correct answer, because this is the answer that is stated in teaching manual. Unfortunately it is the way the CPA Program has been run and probably will continue to run, because it makes CPA Australia lots of money. It is not the best teaching method, but again, it is not designed to teach PHD students, nor help you run a business or make you the next CEO. It is designed to enable the member to obtain a basic status within a Not For Profit organisation known as CPA Australia.