Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Accountants Daily Podcast with IPA CEO Andrew Conway

cpasteve

Accountants Daily Podcast with IPA CEO Andrew Conway

Post by cpasteve » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:13 pm

He says all the right things to attract disgruntled CPA members. Well worth the listen.

https://www.accountantsdaily.com.au/pod ... _content=1

chuck_meister

Re: Accountants Daily Podcast with IPA CEO Andrew Conway

Post by chuck_meister » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 pm

So much difference on the emphasis on communication and membership involvement.
The doozy was asked if they had CPA's marketing budget what would you spend $36M?
"I would slash it, quarantine the funds get the brightest tax brains in a room to come up with policy and consult with members."

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:29 pm

They hope that the dust is settling so they can get back to business as usual. Good on em. IPA wants the media attention to go away.

There is still a lot going on. The IRP recommendations don't fix it so there will be a show down at the next AGM or EGM. It's too early to talk about the dust settling. We are just in a bit of a break before the new Directors show their hand.
The Naked Webmaster

cpasteve

Post by cpasteve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:39 am

chuck_meister wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:34 pm
So much difference on the emphasis on communication and membership involvement.
The doozy was asked if they had CPA's marketing budget what would you spend $36M?
"I would slash it, quarantine the funds get the brightest tax brains in a room to come up with policy and consult with members."
One wonders what his answers to the same questions would have been 12 months ago. But at least he/the IPA seem to get what members want from their organisation, good on 'em...

It was the bit about being accessible to members that I liked. Here's the CPA's moving AGM's overseas, taking contact details off the website etc, and here's this chap saying call me on my mobile if you've got a problem.

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:51 am

Listened to the podcast very enlightening. A CEO that wants to talk to members, doesn't think of them as " the great unwashed" like Mr Malley. Really torn between IPA and CAANZ.... Eligible for both, can't really see myself stumping up my subs in December, too much lost trust. For an organisation with a motto of INTEGRITY they have lost their way.

I receive the communications about the new PSC Scheme application today, looks promising but...... All the marketing spin, I'll wait for a week to see if something changes, as it seem too regularly with these clowns.

It really hurts that they've put me in this position, can I trust the organisation going forward???

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with your view Steve, but also understand that you need to make the decision to move, which is in the best interest of your practice.

I have been told by a public practice accountant, that when they joined the Chartered Accountants and got his public practice certificate with them, that he was able to get rid of his CPA Australia public practice certificate, but if he wanted, he could maintain his membership with CPA Australia, at the reduced general members rate.

CPA Australia has lost the faith of the members, which the other organisation like IPA have seen, and which can not be ignored. The point is that the CPA Australia issues have been brought to light, but what about the issues at all the other accounting organisations, like the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand, and the Institute of Public Accountants. The disclosure information in the financial reports, etc in all these organisations need to improve. What skeletons do these other organisations have, which those members do not know about?

I would suggest that all these other organisations are not totally clean, and without concerns about the management and use of he members funds. The problem is the accounting industries reluctance to stop this inappropriate forms of financial reporting, disclosure and manner in which they are held accountable to the general membership.

All these organisations follow the same accounting rules, and all follow the same taxation rules, and the same corporations rules, but the manner in which they apply these rules is different. I would encourage members to have a look at the way for example the Institute of Chartered Accountants reports its Key Management Personnel remunerations, as against that of CPA Australia. There is a clear difference.

The accounting boards, with their representatives from CPA, IPA And ICAANZ, have been slow to improve the standards, and also ASIC has been slow to encourage the government to improvement the compliance and information follow from the large Not For Profits (NFP). The NFP sector has shown clearly over many years, that they only do the minimum, as shown by the CPA Australia accounts over the last decade. There was no need to improve the status of the information follow, because those that complained, had no voice and no representation to encourage change or seek information. The so called representatives who are supposed to represent the members, have been in the back room trying to get change, but held little help or support. The system encourages ex-presidents of CPA Australia to move onto another accounting bodies, within the industry, and get paid a nice salary. What do these individuals really do, and who is going to question them. The accounting industry as a whole has a lot of problems.

So Steve and other members, who have to move to other organisastions, due to problems created by the CPA Australia management and past boards, please remember, that all is not a good as gold, with the other associations. CPA Australia will rebuild, and it will take time. Hopefully, change can be made to ensure better information follow and better accountability, but change is a must.
Last edited by JWheldon on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 pm

IPA and CA want the media attention to go away because they wouldn't want people to start asking how they govern their organisations either. CPAA took the piss but the others are not great.
The Naked Webmaster

cpasteve

Post by cpasteve » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:43 pm

It would suck to go through the headache of changing teams then get it all done and pick up the AFR on the way into the office and see the ICAA/IPA/NTAA CEO on the front page in a compromising position with Fonzie, then have to change again.

I imagine the other bodies are conducting their own internal reviews or just taking good hard looks at themselves, and there's quite a bit going on beneath the surface despite outward appearances. Well i'd like to think that, perhaps they're as arrogant as the CPA directors and think they're doing a marvelous job, who knows. It at least seems like the IPA CEO 'gets it' and has been quick to react and put out the message that folks like us want to hear.

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm

The boards behaviour all the way through has been to treat the members with contempt, that's what gets to me. Even now the IRP hasn't got to the root cause of the issue, the nerve, having a go at members for being rude to the staff who were told to sprout lies.

Nothing will change at CPA Australia.

I'm pretty sure the other accounting organisations don't have a CEO like Mr Malley, I think they broke the mould when he was made, at least they don't get paid as much as him. Also no self promotion at members expense. This whole mess has I'm sure made boards check what's been going on in their organisations. No one is perfect, but if real checks and balances are in place the worst of the excesses can be held in check.

It will actually cost me a bit to rebrand the practice but you know what, still embarrassed being a CPA, when I used to be proud.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Steve Hamilton wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm
Nothing will change at CPA Australia.
CPAA will change when we make it change at a General Meeting, but not before.
The Naked Webmaster

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:19 am

CPAA will change when we make it change at a General Meeting, but not before.

All good in theory, but how do you get an item on the agenda of the AGM, because let's face it the EGM won't happen, the member numbers are too big to get the 5%. The AGM agenda will then be controlled by the new board and CEO. Also the chair of the meeting will be from the new board. What happens if the new board members support the status quo, the AGM will be an attempt at the usual rubber stamp exercise giving members the illusion that they have some say in the organisation.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 pm

We only need 100 signatures to put a resolution to the AGM. If we turn up with 4,000 supporters/proxies we will have over 10 times what they ever had.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Isn't it amazing that the Independent Panel Review is probably costing us well in excess of $1 million, with these great eminent panel members, and what are we left with but a weak report that does not even recommend members directly vote for directors, and that no action be taken against the people who are responsible for this mess.
Back to trying to force an EGM to deal with the matters.
Wow, 'a professional whitewash' doesn't quite convey the awful outcome that awaits us.
Professional integrity is a term that has lost all its meaning at CPA Australia, and for the Independent Panel to suggest they wish to restore the organisation with such a weak report, just sends it further down the drain.
Some great insights and comments from members above on this.