Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Questions for Alex Malley and the Board Directors after ABC Interview

Discussions about the constitution and how CPA Australia is run
Chris Catto

Questions for Alex Malley and the Board Directors after ABC Interview

Post by Chris Catto » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Alex in his interview with Elysse Morgan on ABC's The Business, discredits any questioning member and paints the picture that there is no legitimacy to any of the information shared by members.

There are many serious questions of governance still left unanswered by both Alex and the Board.

I've made a video to respond to Alex's interview and explain some of the reasons why members keep asking questions.

https://vimeo.com/220285331

1) CEO Salary paid over 3 times the average CEO's for similar sized organisations, and over 3 times that of larger and higher performing global competitors' CEOs

2) Why cpamembers.org even exists.

3) CPA Australia Advice, is it consistent with the objectives of the CPA Australia's constitution, has Section 45 been breached; Are Execs FTE's counted more than once as it can't be more than 1.0 for any individual while the CEO and COO's have 2 formal roles in two businesses; Where is the Business Case for the "investment"as Alex calls it in CPA Advice. What is the ROI, payback period and NPV behind the approval of this "investment"

https://vimeo.com/220285331

Feel Free to share the video link.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Questions for Alex Malley and the Board Directors after ABC Interview

Post by nakedadmin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi Chris,

Please consider adding a question for the board on Alex's interview with 2GB: http://www.2gb.com/podcast/smithys-depl ... malley-16/

Refer to this discussion: http://cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=1310#p1310

I noted that after that point in the interview where Alex Malley said enough about you to prove he knows who you are, he said this:
I have to act in a dignified manner because I'm running an organisation. You know I'm a wog Chris and wogs are not dignified and patient but I am respecting the office of my role and trying to be as dignified as I can, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult.
I don't understand how the board can back up someone who made a threat like that. What is he implying hit men or is he going to name and defame people. WTF is this guy on about here. If I was a board member if would ask Alex a question which would be WTF (and I would say the words) WTF are you intending to do when you get undignified? I think the question needs to be asked quite frankly.

I really don't like this derogatory stereo typing of Europeans as well. Not what you'd expect from a CEO on $1.8m.

Great video. I've made these comments as I listened to it:

There will be no answers on the salary levels. In fact any salary is ok as long as the people paying it are happy to pay. In this case the people paying it have no say. That's what makes it bad.

"Cost per full member..." lol about $22. No chance your getting an answer to that one. Can't be justified, pigs at the trough.

Yeah 6 members but s202B signed by over 100. Good one Alex.

Alex on CPAA Advice "It is growing". Um well 25 members is insignificant, it needs about 1,000 members so 25 members is about 0% growth.

That's a very good point Chris about public interest. The organisation does not exist for public interest. Good point.

Yeah CPAA Advice is a business. What they need is a product. Any start up business could only dream, DREAM of the captive audience the CPAA Advice has with CPA members. If Alex wants to push the line he is good with business well this proves he is not. They need an actual profit

One of our users has FOI'd the CPAA Advice application which will have the planned projections. Farcical.

Chris that was a funny farcical line about us advising others on business but setting up a failing business on financial advice. It's probably the first financial advice venture to lose money!!!

Auditor General salary is $705K so they paid more than what's allowed.

Legitimate questions yeah by this stage it's clear it's a total rip off. Basically theft.

CEO in two places at once. What a laugh.

Very good work on the video. I didn't ask your permission before referring to you as a spokesperson. But I think you're speaking for everyone here so please keep it up. You're doing a great job and deserve massive cred for this.
The Naked Webmaster

JJF

Post by JJF » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 am

His spot on 2GB is another paid promotion (by us of course!!).

So Chris Smith will give him carte blanche to say whatever he wants with lots of soft and loaded questions.

Hey Alex, I'm a wog and I am dignified - to stoop to that level shows what an ignoramus you are!!!!!!

All we want to hear from you in the next few days are the magic words "I resign effective immediately as CEO"

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Can I go on record saying I am a WASP.....

BDC

Post by BDC » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm

As an aside and out of curiosity, if the ceo's main focus is about making a surplus, does this mean that CPA prima facie is actually carrying on a business (definition of business having a major emphasis on engaging in activities with a view of profit or in our case a surplus). If that is the case, does that mean that the ATO or other relevant authority may have claim to revise our taxation status. Just thinking aloud, an AAT or federal tax case that would potentially reduce that net asset position significantly. I'm thinking that perhaps the CPA leadership have not grasped all the associated issues with their responses or line of reasoning. I think when I have some time will try to analyse the responses thus far from the management in a taxation context.

ALLTHECPA'SMEN

Post by ALLTHECPA'SMEN » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:00 pm

great video Chris, spot on! its all legit elementary questions that has turned into a getting blood out of a stone.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I have been asked a number of times what would I like to see announced tomorrow.
Well clearly the board need to take some lead.
But if the three senior executives (Alex Malley, Adam Awty and Jeff Hughes) and the two directors (Graeme Wade and Richard Petty - who have served beyond the 11 year maximum the board have assured us no board member will serve) do not resign immediately I think any other announcements they make will be just a waste of time.
I repeat, I'm sure any sorts of governance reviews or other reviews will be a waste of time if these five people are still in their powerful and influential positions.
We would be foolish (I suggest) to allow the people who orchestrated this and have been the key players over this past decade remain in their influential positions while major changes are made.
As important as a governance review is (critically so) I do not trust the current leadership exemplified by these five people.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:17 pm

As important as a governance review is (critically so) I do not trust the current leadership exemplified by these five people
100% AGREE

Putting everything else aside, the lack of trust that exists between the Board, Executives and members is at the heart of the current predicament. By their actions this has become a chasm and cannot be rectified by the current Board / Executive.

The lack of transparency and disclosure has been a deliberate attempt to hide the truth and they cannot be trusted.

Without TRUST we have nothing - they need to go!

GenYCPA

Post by GenYCPA » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm

I agree - I think the positions of the three senior executives, Graeme Wade and Richard Petty are no longer tenable.

If Graeme Wade and Richard Petty do not stand down then I believe members will remove them (using the powers under s 203D of the Corporations Act). If the board does not stand down the three executives, then I believe members will do this as well (using powers under s 249N of the Act).

We will have to see what happens tomorrow but I do not see any way that the persons above will not be removed from office in the coming months. The number of issues are too many, the lack of disclosure and transparency too damning - the truth will out.

What ever happens - careful attention will need to be paid to Chapter 2D.2 Division 2--Termination payments as these will generally require member approval.
Robert McDowall CPA | Partner | Arabon Accountants
CPA Australia Queensland Divisional Councillor

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-mcdowall/