Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

The AGM in Singapore

Discussions about the constitution and how CPA Australia is run
Brett Stevenson

The AGM in Singapore

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:07 pm

What is the real reason for the AGM being mover to Singapore?

ScoopAbacus

Re: The AGM in Singapore

Post by ScoopAbacus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 pm

Is there not an anniversary of some sort related to the Singapore branch?

Public Accountant

Post by Public Accountant » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:47 pm

Someone should setup a Facebook page - ' Proxy for CPA AGM'

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm

There is no anniversary. The text from the notice of AGM refers to clocking 60 years at some point in the last few years. Not very specific to time:
"Over the past few years CPA Australia has celebrated more than 60 years in Asia, where we now have more than 37,000 members. In recognition of these milestones, the Board has agreed to hold the 2017 Annual General
Meeting in Singapore, the home of our first registered office outside of Australia. Holding our first AGM outside of Australia is both a demonstration of our ongoing commitment to growth in the Asia-Pacific region and an acknowledgement of those members who selflessly worked to establish and grow our presence."

Also I decided to use this website rather than a Facebook or Linked In group and host it in Iceland a country with progressive freedom of speech laws. I don't think CPA Australia will hesitate to spend our money to sue us.

--
The Naked Webmaster
The Naked Webmaster

WTF

Post by WTF » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 pm

I would have thought that the logical place to hold the AGM would have been North Africa. That would have provided them with all of the natural resources they could ever need to fill all of those sandbags. ;)
góðan dag,

WTF

Those who can, do. Those who can't teach. Those who get kicked out of teaching, run Accounting Societies, OR... get paid $5m to get kicked out of running Accounting Societies!

jrvb

Post by jrvb » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:37 pm

Before it was announced that this year's AGM will be held in Singapore, I was really looking forward to attend my first AGM (in Melbourne or in any Australian capital city) since becoming aware of the issues in the organisation. Alas it's not meant to be. For this year at least. And I don't really find watching the AGM on the small screen appealing.

robthered

Post by robthered » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:42 pm

It is anticipated that they are going to live stream it from Singapore - but we cant get CPA to do a live stream between Melbourne and provincial city in Victoria!

benito

Post by benito » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Is anybody in this group going to the meeting in Singapore? I would give them my proxy if that is possible.

Brownie2017

Post by Brownie2017 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am

I would like a General Meeting in Australia, but do not want to ignore the AGM in Singapore.

We can vote validly by proxy, but the only resolution according to the Notice of Meeting will be:

ORDINARY BUSINESS
Item 1: Receipt of Annual Financial Report
To receive and consider the Company’s Financial Report, the Directors’ Report
and the Auditor’s Report for the year ended
31 December 2016.

SPECIAL BUSINESS
There are no items of special business requiring members to vote.

This hardly seems to warrant to trip to Singapore.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 am

Agreed that there is nothing to vote on. Brett has the required number of signatures to force a vote. However, some consideration of tactics is happening. We can force a Special General Meeting after the Singapore junket is over. More importantly is what we are going to put up for a vote. My view is that we need to fix a lot more than Directors fees. Thoughts?

Anyway, the answer to the 60th anniversary question is in the "Important Member Information" that CPA Australia seems to have only selectively circulated. I've attached it the discussion over here: http://www.cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48

The answer is it's Hong Kong's 60th anniversary with Singapore at over 62 years.
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Re: The AGM in Singapore - using technology

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:44 pm

I have attached the CCH summary of what it means to use technology at the AGM.
The critical thing is that it enables members to participate. I notice the wording of the CPA Announcement is that it will enable all members the opportunity to access the proceedings.
To participate (which is the wording of the explanatory memorandum regarding s249S says to participate, which is a little more than having access to the proceedings. One of the factors deemed important is the ability of the Chairman to control the proceedings while also allowing members the ability to communicate with the Chairman during the meeting, and also to be heard by other members attending the meeting including those at other venues.
If the above is failed to be done then the meeting can be declared invalid (s.1322.3A). But it seems that the courts will only do this if they feel a substantial injustice has been caused
We just presume that CPA Australia can at least get their act together to abide by this section of the Act.
Attachments
cch explanation.pdf
(27.11 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Brett Stevenson

Re: The AGM in Singapore - Suggestions for Action

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Given that the only business item is to 'receive and consider' the financial report, directors report and auditors report, there is not a lot to do. It will be the opportunity for the President and Board to sales job the attendees and prevent any sorts of difficult or angry questions from members, either from the floor or via streaming. That would have been hard to do in Melbourne with lots of Australia members attending.
Given that is there anything we can do to at least alert members to some of these issues and not let the CPA leadership get away with another sales job such as with the 16 page memo., or the Presidents speech (Wade) from last year which is on the website.
Here are some thoughts but please members add some more. We need to be strategic and smart I suggest.
1. Do a one page summary of the issues to be handed out to members who attend in Singapore. Include in that a referral to our website so they can easily look at it later. Have these done in Vietnamese, Malay, Mandarin, Tamil, Indonesian as well as English. Do we have any interpreters who can do this? I'm happy to write up a simple summary that can just be photocopied.
2. Submit some questions that you would like to have asked to the Board (as they requested) but also to us via this website, and we shall try to get the AFR to publish the three top ones to see if the CPA Board avoid them or not. If last year is anything to go by submitted questions are subject to strict censorship and review.
3. Make sure someone asks whether the board and CPA staff flew over in economy, business or first class.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm

If you could actually force them to document something that would let other members know about what we are trying to do that would be great. Perhaps a resolution that the members vote directly for the board or a spill. When these resolutions get put forward does an explanatory memo go out to all the members or is it just CPA Australia management's of view that gets circulated? Or nothing? If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

The only information I can see about participation is the notice of the meeting is "In another first, the AGM will be live streamed". Presumably this does not involve online viewers asking questions but I guess we have to wait and see.

Also they say "Your questions are important to us and although we will not be able to reply to each question individually, we will respond to as many of the frequently asked questions as possible at the Annual General Meeting and a copy of the Chairman’s address will be available on our website following the meeting."

I suspect the will be answering the questions:
* But how can your Directors be so good?
* But really how can your Directors be so good?
* How can the CEO be so good?
* But really how can the CEO and the board both be so good at the same time?
The Naked Webmaster

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 am

Can "questions in advance" of the AGM be submitted?
Maybe that's the first chance to air some of these issues at a general meeting?

In my opinion the first one should be "why is there no CPA logo or anything identifying CPA Australia (except "Billboards" Malley's face) on the book, billboards and (f-grade) tv infomercial? And how much of members funds was actually spent (wasted) on them?"

But I'm holding a big grudge around this issue, so there is probably a more sensible way to put it

Brett Stevenson

Re: The AGM in Singapore -Hold the Grudge

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:17 am

I reckon you should continue to hold the grudge sjc431, perhaps make it even bigger, because this is just a total waste of our money to promote Alex Malley himself, and has nothing whatsoever to do with CPA other than the fact that we are paying for it.
This needs to be exposed for what it is.
Did you read the self promotion for Petty's wife with an article about her in In The Black, but of course no reference to her husband being involved on the board of CPA. That would have been a bit too close. So the article said he husband is 'involved in the finance industry'.
Promoting these people on our tab needs to stop. So hold the grudge I reckon. We need to.

jendalitz

Post by jendalitz » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:58 pm

The AGM notice included a form for us to ask questions in advance "our questions are important to us and although we will not be able to reply to each question indiidually, we will respond to as many of the frequently asked questions at possible at the AGM' blah blah blah..... I am going to submit my question. I spoke very briefly with our President Carlin today - was very brief I could only ask a couple of quesitons which were not answered before he had to run off. I asked point blank whehter the Malley allegations re misconduct in past role were true - he said 'the facts have not been established as yet' and I also asked if the 16 page memo went to all members - at first he claimed not to know which memo I was talking about but after I explained at length he said it went to a large number of members but couldn't say if all members received it. They are so up to their necks in it. Bring on the special meeting in Australia. And yes, not just rem that needs to be fixed.
Last edited by jendalitz on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erin Brockovich CPA

Post by Erin Brockovich CPA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:24 pm

Put it up on the LinkedIn CPA Australia members discussion group Saturday am so that it sits there until Monday am. When the CPA Australia social media team get in on Monday morning they will delete the post and put you on moderate so that your future posts need to get approved before they appear. That will be your last post on the CPA LinkedIn group, but it will be worth it.

jendalitz

Post by jendalitz » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:00 am

is there anyone in this group who can still post to the CPA LinkedIn group? I've been moderated off....

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 am

A great request Jen, but I have been moderated off and ditto for anyone who asks probing questions or don't 'toe the CPA Malley line' it seems.
It's become too censored to be of any use. This is where the social media monitors employed by CPA Australia need to be personally held to account for their actions. If any are CPA members then they had best look at their primary duty per APES 110 is to the public, and they need to be careful about toeing the CPA line too vigorously where wrongdoing is occurring. When we get an inquiry into these matters these CPA staff who are members will need to ensure they are not participants in covering up these matters. They have mandatory professional obligations that override their loyalty to their employer.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 pm

The CEO needs to take responsibility. Surely the social media team is taking it's directions from management. I think we should make sure there is some documented evidence that the CEO is aware of this so that he cannot deny involvement later. Perhaps a complaint to the disciplinary committee? Did the AFR mention it in one of their articles? It would be unbelievable that the CEO would be threatening legal action against the AFR but somehow not checked that AFR claims were true. How many unethical things has the AFR reported. Is the CEO going to later deny that he knew or that he couldn't do anything about it? Incompetent, unethical or both?

Some requirements from the TASA regulations:

Code: Select all

Part 2—Recognised tax agent association
           201  The organisation is a non‑profit organisation.
           202  The organisation has adequate corporate governance and operational procedures to ensure that:
                     (a)  it is properly managed; and
                     (b)  its internal rules are enforced.
           207  The management of the organisation:
                     (a)  is required to be accountable to its members; and
                     (b)  is required to abide by the corporate governance and operational procedures of the organisation.
The Naked Webmaster