Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

The AGM in Singapore

Discussions about the constitution and how CPA Australia is run
cks

Re: The AGM in Singapore

Post by cks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 am

Hi, for CPA members based in Sydney, will they be broadcasting in the 111 Harrington St?
Not that i dont want to watch it live stream on my own pc, but i will like the opportunity to view and participate with other cpa members.

JJF

Post by JJF » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:13 pm

When i rang head office to ask about the agm, i was told staff had been instructed not to answer any questions.

She was insistent i give my member number so 'management ' could call me back to discuss!!!

What a joke!!!!!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 pm

The "Important member information" document, 16 pages, was only circulated selectively. It's correct that they request and record the member number. So you're right to think they are monitoring the members that call. This is what we pay them to do!?!?!?!? Refer: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=78
The Naked Webmaster

JJF

Post by JJF » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:32 pm

Force the EGM after the AGM so members can at least attend.

The resolutions have to be broader than directors fees and focus on the ongoing disclosure of remuneration on the same basis as publicly listed companies.

Anything less will give them wriggle room.

That will force them to raise the issue with all members.

Not sure how to deal with the sponsorship issue though.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:10 am

HI JJF,

I agree it needs much more fixed than Directors fees. The main issue is actually that rank and file members need to have control of the organisation. That may be achieved by directly voting for Directors but it could happen that we vote for Directors and still do not have control. We need a much more engaging election process and need to have the information available about what the Director has been doing so that we can vote them out if they keep supporting things that we disagree with like the Australian Open. Perhaps there is a role for a council like the representative council to set the strategy of the organisation and has the power to veto things like Australian Open sponsorship or undertake investigations into the decisions/operations of the organisation like CPA Australia Advice etc. I don't have all the answers here and am looking for suggestions. But I do want to point out that voting for Directors would not by itself stop this and I think that Alex with the high profile he has would probably get elected if he wanted it. Think about that!
The Naked Webmaster

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:21 am

Agree - the fundamental issue is that the members must be able to elect the Directors who are then accountable for the governance of the organization (including management of/selection of the CEO, remuneration and disclosures of such).

CPA must move to an accountability structure that has equal or better oversight/transparency to the professional companies that many of it's members represent.

Rgds