Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

The Representative Council 2017 . These are they.

Discussions about the constitution and how CPA Australia is run
Brett Stevenson

The Representative Council 2017 . These are they.

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm

Given that all CPA Australia put on the website are the names of the current Representative Council, and not who they represent, I have done this little chart to identify who they represent, how long they have been there, and some salient comments.
Cheers
Attachments
Rep Council 2017.pdf
(37.46 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: The Representative Council 2017 . These are they.

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 pm

There is 17 listed but are you sure that means there are only 17 Representative Councillors. I would not be surprised if it simply means that 6 did not want their names published. It was offline for some time and it was the last page to come back online.

If 6 Representative Councillors quit it would seem to imply that they agreed that they should not be there. There has been no communication from the board on this and all those people were supposedly "representing" groups. Shouldn't those groups be informed and should not in fact all members be updated on changes? We get more updates on spreadsheets surely than can send an update.
The Naked Webmaster

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:13 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:57 pm
If 6 Representative Councillors quit it would seem to imply that they agreed that they should not be there.
Maybe they resigned in protest of CPAA's direction?

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:19 pm

One of the vacant positions was to represent "staffed branches "; that is, they are not Divisions (like for example NSW and Victoria) but they have a staffed office. My memory is a bit vague but I think that position covers Europe, NZ and Tasmania. The rep rotated regularly between these locations ( which is designed for fairness, but it's also a bit odd that someone living in the UK, for example , should be representing NZ members ...but there you go).

I recently asked who my Rep is. I was told they had recently resigned so the position was vacant. So I responded with this question: are we now in a process of selecting replacement Board members where myself, and a few thousand other members, are not actually represented on the selection panel ?

No answer.....

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:24 am

I think your comment allseeingeye points to a very obvious and troubling matter - just why does not the current board show who the Representative Council members represent, and to detail if the list on the website id the complete list or not.
It's almost as if this is secret society stuff.
And do you think ASIC or Mr McPhee would comment on this and force them to disclose what is patently wrong.
This is where the current CPA board and management (directors and officers is the legal term I believe) quite frankly would be up for oppression of shareholders but who has the money to take them to court over this?
Mr McPhee is too busy chasing the side issues, while ASIC are just doing what they do best which is to remain a mystery regulator. Who knows what they are doing?
So here we are as members having an organisation which is in crisis having 7 of its 12 board members resign over a three week period including the chairman, having the CEO terminated (with a scandalous termination payout $4.9 million), having a divisional president (Tim Youngberry) roped in to the board to provide a quorum, having so many major matters exposed over the last 6 months of the failing of the current leadership, and what is the rump of a board doing?
They are organising for the appointment (N.B. appointment not election) of 8 new board members by a representative council who supposedly represent us but what they represent remains a mystery to us because the current CPA leadership will not tell us.
Meanwhile Mr McPhee does not see the urgency of that matter. No he is chasing some other side issue that may be important but is hardly as critical as this.
What could be more important than the appointment of new board members into an organisation in crisis under the oversight of a remaining rump of a board who are doing all they can to avoid any sort of investigation into their culpability and responsibility for what has happened over the last decade.
I still find it hard to believe.
A representative council who is supposedly elected by us yet we do not know who they represent.
ASIC should be all over this.
Mr McPhee should be all over this.
The current Board and management of CPA Australia (all very very handsomely remunerated I should add just to keep some perspective on how much of a failure they are in terms of just very basic stuff) should be all over this.

But no, it is left to a few 'non-eminent' members to do the investigatory work to identify the problem and alert members.
Its a shambles and a disgrace, and Mr McPhee keeps banging on about understanding the members frustration and anger while he goes on doing everything he can to avoid confronting the real issues.
CPA has become a joke.
Why do we even try with this sort of leadership at regulatory, board, management and even outside professional levels.

slaa4044

Post by slaa4044 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm
Given that all CPA Australia put on the website are the names of the current Representative Council, and not who they represent, I have done this little chart to identify who they represent, how long they have been there, and some salient comments.
Cheers
Nigel Finch is a 'pracademic' from NSW and a former colleague of Professor Carlin and Mr Malley. See http://www.sakipartners.com.au/team/nigel/

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:33 am

Yes, I see what you mean sla4044.
His academic record certainly shows the connections pretty clearly.
To think he is one of the people who now appoints the new directors astounds me.
How deep do these connections go for the likes of Carlin, Petty, Malley etc re. CPA Australia.
One can understand networking but crikey these 'academic' networks surrounding Macquarie University and perhaps Sydney University with the leadership of CPA Australia needs closer scrutiny at the university level.
It certainly has a sniff about it eh?
Of course no conflict of interest with any of them eh? Perceived or otherwise?
No wonder CPA Australia became a living case study in gerrymandering.
To think we are a professional accounting organisation purporting to represent, uphold and develop high standards.
A sick joke really. I even notice some of N Finch's early papers were on corporate governance but seems his real specialty (especially in his work with T Carlin) was goodwill impairment.
The irony is inescapable as we look at CPA Australia.

slaa4044

Post by slaa4044 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am

Dr Finch was not on the Representative Council list when it was taken down in Late Feb/early March.

Three who were ... Professor Phil Hancock. He resigned.

Professor Suresh Cuganesan. He resigned.

Associate Professor Jenny Kent. Not sure, but she may have resigned.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:49 am

Therein lies a story or line of inquiry also.
Quite amazing really.
How they got away with this for so long is amazing.
I think I should write a short book about this CPA Australia decade of decline and sub- title it Living In Fairyland.
What do the academic powers that be have to say about this given the positions of these people.
To think our logo is emblazoned with the word Integrity