Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Is CPA Board in breach of CPA Constitution with Australian Open Tennis?

Discussions about the constitution and how CPA Australia is run
JWheldon

Is CPA Board in breach of CPA Constitution with Australian Open Tennis?

Post by JWheldon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Under the CPA Australia constitution effective 28 April 2014, article 6, it states the following.

" 6. Application of income and property
(a) Subject to Article 6(b), the Company must apply the surpluses (if any) or other income and property of the Company solely towards the promotion of the objects of the Company set out in Article 5 and no portion of the Company's surpluses (if any) or other income and property may be paid or transferred, directly or indirectly, to any Member or any person who has been a Member, whether by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise."

CPA Australia sponsorship of the Australia Open, resulted in VIP tickets, which are to be made available the general membership via a competition.

The question is what happened with the VIP tickets in the previous years????

Did the previous board members and management team get those tickets to use for their own benefit???

Is this benefit with the Australian Open, benefits under the NBL sponsorship, and benefits under the Rabbitohs corporate box, a clear breach of the CPA Australia Constitution under article 6?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Is CPA Board in breach of CPA Constitution with Australian Open Tennis?

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 pm

If the Directors got a benefit, surely it's required on the s202B disclosure. I don't think anything was included for it.

As a NFP you cannot distribute the profits. But that obviously did not stop them handing out tickets in prior years. Or breaching article 45 etc. They just called it something else like a fringe benefit or I read that someone on a division or representative council got a scholarship. It seems easy to give these payments/benefits other names.
The Naked Webmaster

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:22 pm

@Jwheldon I would be reluctant to reach a conclusion on article 6 without reading article 5 at the same time. I don’t doubt an argument can be constructed that entertaining third parties at the Tennis is a valid promotion of the interests of CPAA.

Having said that, if memory serves me correctly, past visits of Malley, Wade, and co. to the UK may or may not have coincided with the Wimbledon tennis. Probably just a coincidence.....probably a “legitimate” business entertainment expense.....but since the IRP and new Board have indicated absolutely no desire to investigate how member subs have been spent, or to hold anyone accountable, I guess we will never know .....

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:53 am

I'm sure they would mount a defence JWheldon to say it was marketing and promotion, and not use of the surplus.
But what this touches on with the international travel that allseeingeye alluded to is why we asked for a forensic accountant to have a look at CPA Australia with international travel and supplier contracts being two areas of interest.
But seemingly the IRP not interested in true 'let's not look for fault or blame, let's just move forward.'
Makes a mockery of the whole idea of corporate governance where directors are responsible for their decisions or oversight of the organisation.
Everywhere except at CPA Australia it seems. No, CPA is developing the notion of directors doing whatever they want and no responsibility is accepted by them. If they make bad decisions or oversee poorly then just move them on with lots of complimentary words but don't look back and lay any sort of blame or expect them to take any responsibility.
Corporate governance CPA style is very in vogue with the IRP and new CPA board.
As a matter of fact it is so in vogue they not only compliment the directors who perform poorly but they castigate those who dare to criticise them or raise questions about their performance.
And all the while 'the money keeps rolling in' to those who are on the wagon.
This is no 'wagon hitched to the stars' rather it is hitched to the 'dung heap out the back'.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 pm

JWheldon wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 pm
The question is what happened with the VIP tickets in the previous years????
This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the recent board statement...

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:16 am

I’m not a betting person The Nude CPA but I reckon you could lay a pretty safe wager on who those persons would have been.
This is part of reason why we need a forensic accountant to go through CPA. The IRP just isn’t interested - they have an agenda and you can pretty safely say holding the past leaders of CPA to account is not on it.