Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Education

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
Sully

Education

Post by Sully » Thu May 04, 2017 12:43 am

Give me the opportunity to leverage my CPA training into an inexpensive MBA and other masters level qualification.

Better Call Saul

Re: Education

Post by Better Call Saul » Thu May 04, 2017 9:10 am

To add to that - CPAA should be doing "free" webinars of relevant content for public practitioners CPD hours and allow non-practitioners to also participate. Education should be "priced to members satisfaction" and as well satisfy their required content.

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Thu May 04, 2017 10:52 am

Totally agree with you on CPAA's insipid and expensive educational offerings. Far more should be totally free as a service to members.

Unfortunately many organisations seem to reach a tipping point where their primary focus becomes self-preservation and self-aggrandisement.

CPA is feasting on members' funds which are a form of lifetime annuity that pays like clockwork. This is facilitated in large part by regulatory requirements to be a member of a professional body, e.g. for TPB purposes.

The only real solution is to take control and starve the beast. Let's cut the annuity of members' subscriptions and make them accountable.

Sleet

Post by Sleet » Fri May 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Why is the CPA public practice course so damn ridiculously expensive?

You can become a tax agent for $500 - but the public practice course is ridiculously expensive.

And it goes for a whole term?

Surely after being in public practice for 15 years there should be some concessions.

Pathetic.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 05, 2017 2:36 pm

At CPA congress which is fairly expensive to attend, the attendees are that disinterested in learning anything that CPAA has to scan them in when they go into the room to credit the CPD hours. I'm not sure if they lock the doors but last time I went, a lot of people left during the session and at the last session on Friday a lot of people excused themselves. I was sitting toward the front and when I woke up and looked around there was no one behind me and the presenter was only half way.

It's basically about a bit of time out of the office and buying some CPD hours.
The Naked Webmaster

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Fri May 05, 2017 3:37 pm

You get the sense that providing members with services is a chore to be end endured by CPAA. Their focus is on the annuity of member subscriptions and distributing as little back to us as possible. They don't care what members want; they provide what's easiest for them.

That's why the so-called Member Benefits are so useless. My bet is that the distributor or provider of the 'benefits' does all the legwork and all CPA staffers have to do is tick off the final proposal.

As mentioned in previous posts, members will not find out the true extent of the largesse and waste at CPAA until an external auditor or management consultant does a full evaluation of all staff and all functions.

Sleet

Post by Sleet » Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm

I have been hounded by CPAA to become a regulated advisor after expressing an interest a while ago.

Why would you though?

You go with a dealer group such as AMP as an an example and your remuneration is so much higher for providing the same service as you would under the CPA banner.

You still pay CPA a fortune for the licence.

Fee for service is fine, but other dealer groups remunerate so much better.

I love how CPA promotes integrity with no commissions in their financial planning model yet they are taking cuts left right and centre?

We don't do this for love.

Waste of time.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Yeah they wanted to make sure CPA Australia Advice had the perception of integrity.
The Naked Webmaster

Areyouserious?

Post by Areyouserious? » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:28 am

I'm curious about the qualifications of the EGM Education. A Google search doesn't show he is a CPA, or even an accountant and I can't see any evidence of experience as an academic. I would have thought such a role should sit with a CPA or academic, unless the role is to manage contracts for the outsourcing of education, in which case I would have thought legal qualifications would have been appropriate. I'm now wondering if CPA has any control at all of the education products? Maybe that explains why congress and all their other training is only really suitable for beginners. I would have thought $400k is a bit much for a product manager?

slaa4044

Post by slaa4044 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 am

I was curious about the same thing and asked. Apparently he used to work in Executive Education at Melbourne Business School.

I did tell him personally that he earns more than most Professors around the country (not all, but some have education qualifications, as I do). He disagreed.

The base rate for the highest paid professors is public through enterprise agreements, and less than $200k (more often closer to $175k). Many have loadings (at risk non-superannuable pay) on top of that. The group that earn more then $400k around the country, my guess is you could count them on one hand and they would be identifiable globally in what they do.

Over $300k not at risk (i.e. as a salary) for a position such as this is outrageous for a membership organisation.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 am

I think slaa4044 that this could be applied to every senior and middle management position at CPA Australia with the same revealing scandal in terms of level of pay.
This is before you start to dig a bit deeper into the 'connections'.
But Mr McPhee does not see this as that important. Or not important enough to review now. That will be for later so doesn't make the current and past directors accountable. Especially those on the Nominations and Remuneration Committee, which really is a very select bunch that has included many on the current board (Wade, Petty, Dickson) as well as recently resigned ones (Carlin, Ryan, Alston), and really all the directors who approved these outrageous pay levels over the years.

Areyouserious?

Post by Areyouserious? » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:22 am

Agree slaa4044. Although my understanding of his role at Melbourne Business School was that it was really in the business development area, I could be wrong. But like you, I can think of a handful of names that would have such a level of expertise and intellectual ability to be able to command such a salary, and most of those are recognisable through their publications not through any significant level of self promotion. I have to question why, with so many senior members of CPA in senior academic roles we are stuck with a non accountant with no academic profile leading the charge on educating our members.

Areyouserious?

Post by Areyouserious? » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

Sorry, missed this in my earlier comment: it appears the EGM education also used to work at Deakinprime who have been the external supplier for many years- is this a coincidence? Do Deakinprime control the content of the CPA program?

stuart7111

Post by stuart7111 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:47 pm

My chief complaint for now is the cost of courses. More should be free/minimal fee ($25).
They are preventing members from getting the education they need because it's just too expensive.
Most of us in commerce are forced to fund our own educational costs. Practitioners can tend to share the training within the firm across a group of staff but this is not so much possible for a CPA in the commercial environment who may be the only one in the company needing the education.

Sounds like the guy at the top of this is another one who needs to be headed for the chopping block.
If he had any decency, he would resign now and accept he has ripped us all off for long enough.

Areyouserious?

Post by Areyouserious? » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 pm

Stuart7111, I agree, overpriced for what you get. Also most training seems to be targeted to non accountants or very junior staff and it doesn't have any deep technical content, symptomatic I guess of the fact it's designed by non accountants who go for glitz over substance..

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:46 am

That is why a new strategy which is member centric is required. All the CPD and courses have no members input its just run like a business model to build surplus rather than creating prestigious and calibre CPA and FCPA. One step at a time I guess, first we need to clean this mess and remove the board.