Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

NBL Sponsorship

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
Brett Stevenson

NBL Sponsorship

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:53 am

Is the NBL an appropriate expenditure of CPA Australia money, and what of the conflict of interest with Graeme Wade (a director of CPA Australia) also being Chairman of the NBL.

sjc431

Re: NBL Sponsorship

Post by sjc431 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:19 pm

CPA is a member organisation - who are they advertising too through the channel 9 and sporting sponsorship channels?
I believe the board and management argue they are creating awareness of CPA and attracting new members with sport sponsorship and Malley's Fonz interviews and self serving book
The mass media marketing campaign to do this is totally unjustifiable for a member organisation of accountants - if they want new members why don't they spend (way less!) money on reaching out to new graduates and those studying at University or about to enter University? You know, folks who are really planning to be accountants!
Some more people may have been exposed to CPA brand, but how would they perceive the brand - would it help them to understand what CPA's do and how they can help the public or organisations?
Or would they just see Malley swanning around pretending to be a channel 9 celebrity?
You tell me?

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 pm

I can't tell if the advertising is to attract members, or to attract people to use CPAs.

And we sponsor the NBL? I'm a member and this is the first I've heard of it. Surely that's not a good thing.

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

Adam Awty is the Company Secretary and COO.

He is also a Member of CPA. He is bound by the members code of conduct as well as us.

His job is to record Directors declarations regarding conflicts of interest and maintain a register of Directors interests.

His email address is adam.awty@cpaaustralia.com.au and his assistant is Amanda Tallon at board.secretariat@cpaaustralia.com.au

I hope he will assist you. :lol:

Mark Ricci

Post by Mark Ricci » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:57 pm

No justification for the NBL sponsorship by CPAA. If it was to attract new members, then why are our membership fees increasing every year? Surely, cut the spending and reduce existing members fees. Now that would be logical.
Mark Riccioni, FCPA

Better Call Saul

Post by Better Call Saul » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 pm

Alex Malley apparently had himself posted up on a New York skyscraper:-

"The CEO of accounting body CPA Australia got his face implanted on the side of the Manhattan skyscraper by way of the members, as part of the estimated $8 million they have spent on marketing the association – and its dear leader – in recent years. "
Source - www.ifa.com.au - Aleks Vickovich is managing editor of ifa

Read the full article: https://www.ifa.com.au/editorial/17641- ... _content=2

Brett Stevenson

NBL Sponsorship, and warning to current board.

Post by Brett Stevenson » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:01 am

I think this (NBL Sponsorship) will be one of the first things we will be calling for an investigation into.
How possibly can the board have approved a gift of $736,000 to the NBL when the immediate past president and current long serving director of CPA Australia Graeme Wade is also Chairman of the NBL?
Whoever did the due diligence on this to determine it was both at commercial arms length , and that it was an appropriate expenditure of $736,000 will need to be given a grilling. This is disgraceful.
When the board and governance are refreshed at CPA Australia we shall be calling for a 'royal commission' into deals like this.
Ditto for international travel expenditure by board members of CPA Australia.
CPA Australia may have a large bank balance but that does not mean it can be frittered away on inappropriate expenditure.
I suggest the current board, and past board members from the last decade should prepare themselves for an inquiry into some of these matters, and I would encourage the current board to not dig the hole any deeper. Remember your responsibility is to the organisation and the members, not to the management and past decisions.
You may be told none of this will hit the light of day. Well I suggest otherwise and we shall do all we can to shine a very bright light n CPA Australia expenditure over the last decade to ensure all the details is exposed.

Better Call Saul

A long, painful death for the NBL?

Post by Better Call Saul » Wed May 17, 2017 10:12 pm

The New Daily Mar 16, 2015

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/basketb ... ful-death/

Quote:-

"League chairman Graeme Wade is clearly a man of considerable qualities.

His latest challenge, however, just may be his greatest.

There is business and there is the business of sport.

The latter is a unique beast many a well-qualified suit-and-tie superstar has failed to comprehend and conquer.

Basketball in Australia is on its knees. Its flagship elite competition the NBL is dying a slow, ugly death.

Basketball has a governing body, however it has nothing to do with the game’s supposed flagship product. The NBL operates independently of this so there is no distribution to clubs.

The game relies on deep-pocketed individuals to fund clubs. This is unsustainable – the data does not lie.

Since the inception of the NBL in 1979, 32 clubs have become defunct.

Basketball Australia need to take accountability and step back into the fold to fix their problem.

To attempt to do anything else, Mr Wade, is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and expecting a different result!

Too much good is happening at grass roots for this to continue.

So to all you CPA's out there......if the NBL operates independently and does not distribute to clubs JUST WHO IS BENEFITING FROM THE $750K HARD EARNED OF CPA MEMBERS?

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

In other words, the NBL was unable to find a sponsor out there in the corporate world, not one ... and somehow we ended up being a sponsor because one of the board members just happens to be from the NBL.

Does anyone know when the sponsorship contract expires, and what happens if CPA terminates it early? There's not much out there; all I've found so far is this (no mention of contract term):

03 May 2016 : http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au/new ... rtnership/
13 Oct 2016 : http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/nbl ... australia/
16 May 2017 : http://myexpress.com.au/finance/busines ... ias-books/

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Red_Ferrari wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Does anyone know when the sponsorship contract expires, and what happens if CPA terminates it early? There's not much out there; all I've found so far is this (no mention of contract term):
If it was a multi-year contract then the commitment should be disclosed in the financial statements.

Rogerrt0019

Post by Rogerrt0019 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 pm

now now brett...dont you know graeme wade left the room when they decided this...just as alex malley left the room when they decided to throw our dollars at alex's team, south sydney rabbitohs..

this is clearly a giant piss take with these rorts scratching each others backs with out money. its not there money as i understand it as they awarded themselves free life membership

well done on taking this up and thank you for the time you have invested

JJF

Post by JJF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:29 am

The most important question is how this sponsorship benefitted members?

It obviously didn't have much of an impact on member numbers unless of course you are a "LinkedIn Influencer" where 1+1=5!!!

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am

Rogerrt0019 wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:20 pm
just as alex malley left the room when they decided to throw our dollars at alex's team, south sydney rabbitohs..
I'm sorry, i'm from an AFL state and give zero f's about league, as it were

do we also sponsor a rugby league team?

FFS

i bet it was so he could meet Russell Crowe or something

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am

deaneus wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:04 am

Apparently so: This one slipped under the radar for all of us in AFL states.

http://corporate.rabbitohs.com.au/about ... -sponsors/

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:13 am

The Cyclist wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am
deaneus wrote:

Holy amazeballs.

Tennis.
Rugby.
Basketball.

Can we at least sponsor an AFL team I like, say the Adelaide Crows? My indoor cricket team could go with some new guernseys too.

...all of a sudden i wonder if we do sponsor an AFL team and no-one's noticed.

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am

[quote=deaneus post_id=2236 time=1497921185 user_id=113

...all of a sudden i wonder if we do sponsor an AFL team and no-one's noticed.
[/quote]

Essendon supplements brought to you by your good friends at CPA Australia ? "What ever it takes"

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 am

The Cyclist wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:51 am
deaneus wrote:

FFS!

So this sponsorship is still current I take it?

JJF

Post by JJF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm

all these sponsorships are a disgrace!!!

What's the bet CPA has a corporate box with the Rabbitohs for the "executives"?

The Cyclist

Post by The Cyclist » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Looking online CPAA does sponsor a whole lot of university commerce and accountancy areas and some business and trade organisations such as the Cook Society in WA which are in my mind a good thing and can be tied directly back to the objects of the organisation. These sporting sponsorship's fall into a completely different category and can in no way be linked back to the objects and seem to be nothing more than personal interest investments cloaked in marketing fluff about attracting members- absolute rubbish.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

The Cyclist wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:19 pm
These sporting sponsorship's fall into a completely different category and can in no way be linked back to the objects and seem to be nothing more than personal interest investments cloaked in marketing fluff about attracting members- absolute rubbish.
Damn straight.