Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Defining our purpose and embracing our ethics

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
GenYCPA

Defining our purpose and embracing our ethics

Post by GenYCPA » Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 am

I have been following this discussion for some time now, not to mention my years of semi-silent contemplation of CPA Australia's strategic direction. As part of my research into CPA Australia, I came across an article written in February 2017 by Alex Malley. I find the article quite interesting given the current discourse and suggest that Alex carefully read his own article.

http://www.theaccountant-online.com/fea ... n-5743053/

One of the defining characteristics of a profession, in his own words, is setting its own code of ethics, and being held accountable to that code.

Alex elaborates further by declaring "it is the commitment to act not only in accordance with the law but also with the Code of Ethics that makes accountants professionals". The current reluctance of the board to go above and beyond minimum disclosures and adopting the highest standards of corporate governance is at odds with the views portrayed in the article.

I am going to read the Code of Ethics again during the week and compare and contracts our standard of ethics to the ethics, values and practices of CPA Australia as they may appear to an external party.

Our Profession's Purpose

More interesting then this discussion on ethics though is the apparent lack of purpose in our profession in AM's point of view - "Purpose is a fundamental question for any practice and is one we have not clearly articulated as a profession."

One would have thought that, as the CEO of one of the largest and oldest professional accounting associations in the world, Alex and our Board would be well placed to articulate this purpose. He correctly states that "It is our purpose that guides our judgements and actions" but I question that without a clearly articulated purpose then what is guiding our Board and executive team.

Perhaps this lack of purpose strikes at the core of our problems and is exemplified through our meaningless visions such as "CPA Australia is known for being the world’s best member service organisation" and equally meaningless goals such as "To maximise the share of people who want a career built on professional accounting skill".

In my humble opinion I would suggest that the executive, the board and perhaps our member body as a whole should dedicate our energies to defining our purpose and letting this guide our visions and goals.

Our good friend Wikipedia defines a professional body as an organisation seeking to further a particular profession, the interests of individuals engaged in that profession and the public interest."

The International Federation of Accountants states it's purpose as "Strengthening the worldwide accountancy profession".

CPA Australia's Purpose

Perhaps if CPA Australia adopted a similar purpose we may have a vision such as "To strengthen the accountancy profession and safeguard the public interest through a commitment to integrity, technical rigour and strategic business thinking". One of our goals could then be "To support our members through professional development, advocacy, research and resources".

If you read pages 4-5 of the 2016 annual report there is a great summary of the CPA Australia business model. I think all the important stuff is in there but the priorities of the executive and the Board are wrong. Aligning our vision and goals to our purpose will ensure the priorities of the executive and the Board are correct.

I welcome the views and opinions of other members.
Robert McDowall CPA | Partner | Arabon Accountants
CPA Australia Queensland Divisional Councillor

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-mcdowall/