Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
sjc431

Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

Post by sjc431 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:51 pm

The amount of members funds spent on promoting Alex Malley's personal brand including tv shows and books is a blatant misuse of member's funds - Where is the solid connection to promoting the interests of members here?
How does it substantively assist members?
What does it have to do with accounting?
How is it engaging with what should be the target market of the advertising, that is the actual members of CPA? CPA Australia doesn't sell goods or services to the general public

This money should be spent on reducing members fees and providing better support services

accountant

Re: Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

Post by accountant » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Totally agree.

The guests are not chosen to appeal to young people, I feel like he's just interviewing all his childhood heroes.

Meanwhile, with the CPD courses being so expensive, I will have to watch an awkward interview with the Fonz to maintain my CPA designation :?

jendalitz

Post by jendalitz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 pm

this is one of the issues I've sought response on from Jeff Hughes... the silence is deafening...

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:21 pm

More exposed by the day
The-Naked-CEO-1024x6831.png
The-Naked-CEO-1024x6831.png (103.87 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
This billboard in NY must be giving the Australia CPA practices a bit of a boost!
B4cVAHUCcAANCpc.jpg
B4cVAHUCcAANCpc.jpg (62.71 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
The Fonz. Back in those days they didn't earn that much money from TV. The poor guy still has to do stuff like this.
TheFonz.png
TheFonz.png (93.41 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
The Naked Webmaster

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Yeah, that is truly a shocker of an effort (the billboard in times square new york)
It is really angering, actually
The quicker this bozo is shafted from the organisation the better

Troubled CPA

Post by Troubled CPA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:07 pm

To state the obvious, the promotion of "Brand Alex Malley" is a complete misuse of the members funds of CPA Australia.

Shaun

Post by Shaun » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:17 pm

Wow, can't believe that there isn't even a small CPA logo in the corner or anything.

Perhaps this one was paid from another funding source? :lol:

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm

that's the real point isn't it - the CPA logo isn't even on the ad, what a farce

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 pm

Yeah, they are not even trying to look like they are promoting CPA Australia (or CPAs). We are basically in the book business. The only benefit to members is if the book makes a profit. And they don't tell us if it does make a profit. Also the IP is supposedly owned by CPA Australia so you'd expect a logo on that book and advertisement somewhere. Brand equity flows to brand Alex and with the Naked CEO becoming more exposed by the day brand Alex may well be harming brand CPA.
The Naked Webmaster

CA perspective

Post by CA perspective » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 am

You guys need to go deeper on this; drawing attention to inflated salaries is just treating the symptom.
The fact these crooks are able to rape your society at all means it has raised far too much money for its intended purposes and they are just finding a convenient place for it to be wasted; we have all taken our eyes off the true purpose of organizations like the Society and the Institute, (I shudder to think what the CAANZ is up to now that we have become Trans-Tasman, hopefully they are internal auditing the life out of themselves).
What Einstein decided we needed to promote an accountant "brand" across the broader community?
When were you last confronted by mass media promotion of the Law Institute, the Institute of Chartered Secretaries or the College of Plastic Surgeons?
A partner in a firm for whom I once worked spent tireless hours on the Practicing Accountants Committee, later as the Chair; it was all honorary and was expected to be so.
These are supposed to be simple bodies to track membership including admission standards, practice standards, admission and CPE education standards, and dish out discipline to those who jeopardize the good name of fellow members by their professional practice behavior.
We are not part of a franchise; promotion of "brand" is a practice by practice responsibility with the governing bodies there to ensure such activity is kept in good taste and within the bounds expected of the profession. Beyond that they can bugger off, I don't want CAANZ telling my clients why they need me and I'm doubly sure you guys don't want CPA Aust representing you in the market place.
How does that sort of an organization warrant a true CEO anyway?
There's no competition that could shut you down in 5 years to keep your eye on, no inventories to source, EPA controls to meet, working capital to balance, varied skill labour force to train, industrial relations to juggle.
Surely it SHOULD be the most boring job in the world. What possible good does a promotion of a sporting league do for public accountants just because the CPA brand is all over the sport?
What idiot dreamed up the idea that someone sitting at the basketball, who for whatever reason does not currently have an accountant, looks at the logo above the scoreboard and suddenly says, "...hey Noreen, we need an accountant, we need ...... a CPA.....like him, that guy, the one with the black hair and the glasses..., no time to waste, get yer coat...we're leavin' now...".
These guys are like Canberra; rorting parasites working tremendously hard solving imaginary problems.
The solution, and my suggestion for your ultimate objective, is to strip those on the gravy train of their jobs by eliminating the jobs, then return the day to day responsibility of the industry's image to the members at the firm level.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Hi CA perspective,

I agree. One thing about the salaries is that it goes back to the concept of personal gain which is an important element in corruption. I.e. it's done for personal gain. We think that those salaries are the way they personally gain, although things like raising their own personal profile and possibly others exist.

The Tax Practitioner Board has a rule that the management must be accountable to the members. If not it fails the requirement to be a tax agent association. But if the management control what information the members get then are they really accountable. If the members knew about this website we would have the numbers to make the changes and take back control in about 1 day.

Anyone can tell that the management is not accountable to the members because if they were, they would not be doing so many things the members disagree with including paying themselves millions of dollars.
The Naked Webmaster

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 pm

CA Perspective, that is a crushingly good and frank analysis of this debacle, and the nail in the coffin of my immense dislike of Malley and the board and what they have done/are doing to the professional body.

deaneus

Post by deaneus » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:00 pm

CA perspective wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 am
You guys need to go deeper on this; drawing attention to inflated salaries is just treating the symptom.
The fact these crooks are able to rape your society at all means it has raised far too much money for its intended purposes and they are just finding a convenient place for it to be wasted; we have all taken our eyes off the true purpose of organizations like the Society and the Institute, (I shudder to think what the CAANZ is up to now that we have become Trans-Tasman, hopefully they are internal auditing the life out of themselves).
What Einstein decided we needed to promote an accountant "brand" across the broader community?
When were you last confronted by mass media promotion of the Law Institute, the Institute of Chartered Secretaries or the College of Plastic Surgeons?
A partner in a firm for whom I once worked spent tireless hours on the Practicing Accountants Committee, later as the Chair; it was all honorary and was expected to be so.
These are supposed to be simple bodies to track membership including admission standards, practice standards, admission and CPE education standards, and dish out discipline to those who jeopardize the good name of fellow members by their professional practice behavior.
We are not part of a franchise; promotion of "brand" is a practice by practice responsibility with the governing bodies there to ensure such activity is kept in good taste and within the bounds expected of the profession. Beyond that they can bugger off, I don't want CAANZ telling my clients why they need me and I'm doubly sure you guys don't want CPA Aust representing you in the market place.
How does that sort of an organization warrant a true CEO anyway?
There's no competition that could shut you down in 5 years to keep your eye on, no inventories to source, EPA controls to meet, working capital to balance, varied skill labour force to train, industrial relations to juggle.
Surely it SHOULD be the most boring job in the world. What possible good does a promotion of a sporting league do for public accountants just because the CPA brand is all over the sport?
What idiot dreamed up the idea that someone sitting at the basketball, who for whatever reason does not currently have an accountant, looks at the logo above the scoreboard and suddenly says, "...hey Noreen, we need an accountant, we need ...... a CPA.....like him, that guy, the one with the black hair and the glasses..., no time to waste, get yer coat...we're leavin' now...".
These guys are like Canberra; rorting parasites working tremendously hard solving imaginary problems.
The solution, and my suggestion for your ultimate objective, is to strip those on the gravy train of their jobs by eliminating the jobs, then return the day to day responsibility of the industry's image to the members at the firm level.
Post Of The Year.

CPA stands for "Currently Promoting Alex" (i wish i could take credit for that but i can't)

cpa66

Post by cpa66 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:25 pm

What an insult to the Profession...and blatant self promotion utilising member funds
I myself cannot see anywhere on the billboard re Naked CEO..any reference to CPA!!!!

ALLTHECPA'SMEN

Post by ALLTHECPA'SMEN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi Members,

I just want to congratulate Brett on this platform and also the AFR rear window on putting some much needed light on this dark hole that has been annoying me for over 10 years as a member where I cannot recall one thing the body provides as a a free service to its members. I just cannot believe the depth of the self promotion that is taking pl post Alex's appintement, and I just ask myself everytime i see the TV ads, ' how does this help me as a member'?
And the more i read about this matter on AFR, more it upsets me the shanigans the whole called exec club mentality of the joint. I am just grateful i am not alone on this and hope this platform can lead to some serious questions and accountability back to us as MEMBERS, they need a clean out :!:

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Yeah I think the comment by another member "why does an organisation like CPA even need a CEO?" really hits home what is going on here
Malley and his friends on the board have sown up control of the organisation to the point where they can spend the members dues for purposes that really benefit them only - massive, massive conflicts of interest everywhere

This money they are wasting could reduce my membership fees, reduce the cost of CPA materials, provide better and more practical CPD events in regional areas and even career support or counselling services for those CPA's who don't want to go into public practice.

I defy anyone to provide a credible explanation of the tangible member benefits of having Malley on billboards in New York (with not a CPA logo to be seen), or interviewing the fonz and other d-list celebrities on a sunday morning infomercial on channel 9?

Exposure of the CPA brand I hear you say? As mentioned the brand or logo is nowhere to be seen on Malley's billboards and TV infomercial show

They are trying to reach out to youth markets on social media so there is a healthy pool of CPAs in the future, as per board response letter - how the fonz (and the others he interviews) appeals to the youth market I do not know?

Besides what about tangible benefits to existing members in the here and now? I don't see that mentioned anywhere in their response!!!

From the letter: "We seek to further the objects of the company by building the relevance of CPA Australia and our members
through:
• broadening the audience of those who take an interest in what CPAs do, and what CPA Australia does;
and
• Adopting innovative new approaches to take the brand to a wider audience"
WHAT A LOAD OF HORSESHIT!
When does he even mention CPAs and what they do on the TV shows, there is no logo or focus on the organisation, it is the Alex Malley naked CEO show
Why does CPA need a wider audience? I should be able to determine the audience (target market) relevant to my individual firm and market to them accordingly - it would be helpful if CPA followed up with some education/marketing of the actual organisation and what different accountants (public practice, corporate) can do for their clients - GET MALLEY'S FACE OFF IT - the clients I have happened to mention these issues to have been totally ambivalent about him or has openly mocked him and the book and tv show

And the naked CEO book - the guy is only the CEO of CPA Australia - BIG DEAL - it is (or was) a membership organisation. One of the AFR stories points out the irony of his pathetic attempt to lecture the CEO and board of Woolworth's (because as a disruptive CEO this bloke would have made the woolie's turnaround happen overnight plus all his experience as a CEO of ...., oh right?)

In that letter they also claim to be a leading voice in the debate on super reforms - what a crock - I could say the same thing, doesn't make it so, where is the proof of any impact on legislation or regulations that affect CPA's day to day? - maybe if they spent all the money they wasted on naked CEO rubbish on developing the advocacy capability of the organisation they could have a meaningful impact on the economic and tax debate - somehow I don't think Scott Morrison is waiting on a call from the naked CEO to steer his budget into the black!

Malley and the board have to go, they have hijacked this membership organisation for their own personal self indulgent tripe and self promotion to the detriment of all members - and they are paying themselves millions of members $$$ every year for the privilege

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Yes, agreed. CPA Australia's current promotional priorities seem to be:
1. Alex Malley
2. CPA Australia
3. Anything else
4. Put the advertising money in a big pile and set fire to it.
5. Members

The priorities members would want is:
1. Members
2. CPA Australia
3. Anything else
4. Put the advertising money in a big pile and set fire to it.
5. Alex Malley

CPA Australia will ask what's the difference between promoting members vs promoting CPA Australia.
The Naked Webmaster

m11

Post by m11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:13 pm

We should ask at the AGM to the CEO and Board - was the membership funds used to pay for those big bill boards in NY? That did not have any CPA brand in them?

Seeking Change

Post by Seeking Change » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 am

I agree with sentiment of above. I do not understand why interviewing celebrities is considered something that CPA should promote. And am sick of seeing the book promoted at Australian airports.

More importantly, the focus on technical and professional issues has declined. CPAs should be considered at the forefront of all technical debate. It has a membership base that makes this possible. Instead there is a reduction in the number of technical resources and submissions have lost their depth. We have lost our voice at the tables that are important to members.

In other words - the current focus is not the key issue. It is is what is no longer the subject of focus. I suggest that rather than attacking the current approach this forum should be used to build out what the members expect/need from their association - show the way forward.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

Hi Seeking Change,

I'm not claiming to know the way forward. I have some ideas but it's really about what the members want. So I really would like it if you can create a new topic for these things.

The members should have control and the management should be providing the members with what they want/need. Highlighting the gap between what members want and what CPA Australia is providing is simply raising awareness of the need for change. Some of it is necessarily negative. For example this promotion of Alex Malley shows that the management is happy to waste members funds to pursue their own interests. This requires a different kind of members response.

At the moment we are simply trying to highlight the need for change and get as many members involved as possible. We do need to start some discussions about exactly how the members will get back control e.g. should we vote for board members directly. Once the members have control the strategic decisions will change.
The Naked Webmaster