Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
chuck_meister

Re: Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

Post by chuck_meister » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:05 am

In terms of strategy, I would always go back to the question, what do employers value about the CPA designation?
The ones that come to mind are:
• High professional & ethical standards, monitored and policed by the profession.
• Base level of skills developed through completion of the CPA program.
• Assurance of continual development to keep skills current.

Just look at how the CPA and CA mission statements compare:

CPA has a vague mission/goal of “being the best organisation” for as many members.
CA “seeks to be the organisation for financial and business leaders.” It has big headings for governance and corporate responsibility.

Therefore, it would be far better to invest members’ funds into further developing the CPA program, perhaps upgrading it officially to a graduate diploma. Proper technical CPD courses should be made more affordable, as they are prohibitively expensive. There should be a mandatory yearly refresher on you professional responsibilities. This can be a simple 30 minutes module that is taken from the foundation ethics module.

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:56 am

I think the board should be voted in by members directly

misplaced

Post by misplaced » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm

To add to some more wonderful CPA wasteful money Alex has now purchased the Cafe in the CPA Headquarters (Freshwater Place) with members money of course

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi misplaced,

Do you have a reference for that e.g. link or something to verify.

How many CPD points do you get for a coffee?
The Naked Webmaster

Shaun

Post by Shaun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm

misplaced wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 pm
To add to some more wonderful CPA wasteful money Alex has now purchased the Cafe in the CPA Headquarters (Freshwater Place) with members money of course
I had a meeting in Southbank today, afterwards (and after reading this post) headed in to the Freshwater place building and had a coffee from the lobby coffee shop. I asked for a tax-invoice and the company name was Spotless Services so either this is un-true/ it's a different coffee shop or the shop hasn't settled yet.

BTW coffee was good :)

misplaced2

Post by misplaced2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:02 am

Apparently a competition was held with the staff at CPA to name the cafe. I was told by a member of staff when I went in the CPA library a few weeks ago. I also asked several people when I was waiting in line for my coffee it appears to not be a secret.
I would assume as Spotless who are a catering company that the staff are being utalised from them. Just as when I attend the football the staff are from catering companies.

JJF

Post by JJF » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:05 pm

So, our illustrious ceo has never run a large corporation before but is a linkedin influencer ( what does that even mean??) - wow, impressive NOT!!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:16 pm

If you really want to have a laugh or make yourself sick, depending on how you take it, have a look at The Naked CEO giving advice to entrepreneurs. This guys credentials include:
* being suspended from school
* being a uni lecturer
* Director and CEO of CPA Australia and for a brief period before that the Urological Society

Doesn't seem to be anything about starting a successful business in there, unless you include his wife's tutoring business that he was referring his uni students to.
The Naked Webmaster

JJF

Post by JJF » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Surely his book should have been published with no association from the cpa!

When Jack Welsh published his book on leadership ( before he retired) did GE foot the bill? I think not!!!

Same for Richard Branson and did the US Congress foot the bill for the then Senator Obamas book The Audacity of Hope!!!

Its such a poor argument (not to mention a bad read) to say the book is okay as the CPA owns the IP and gets all the proceeds. Im guessing they wouldn't be much!

Plus given Alexs purported salary, ill bet he was more than happy to sign his rights away!!!

Its not right!!!!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 pm

On 4th Oct 2013 the AFR published an interview with Alex Malley. http://www.afr.com/lifestyle/arts-and-e ... 1004-j0c4k

Which states: "Malley says he has achieved most of what he has wanted to in his career, except there remains one more goal that involves New York. He won’t tell me what it is; that chapter in his life is yet to be written. The bill arrives and Malley’s minder quickly scuttles him off to his next appointment."

May be this explains the New York billboard. But the New York goal he is talking about seems like a personal career goal not for the benefit of members. Any ideas what was/is the career goal he was talking about?
The Naked Webmaster

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am

Alex's person of interest is Kim Jong-Un. Maybe this is where he gets his inspiration or tips.
Alex_talks_aboutKim_Jong-Un.png
Alex_talks_aboutKim_Jong-Un.png (224.98 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status ... 3873046528
The Naked Webmaster

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am

Is his appearance paid for by CPA Australia? Was there an ad before or after for either CPA Australia or The Conversation?

I'd ring head office and ask but they wouldn't answer and demand my member number!!!!!!!

Again , he appears in his capacity as the CEO of CPA Australia so what is the benefit we as members derive from his pretence as a social commentator?

If it build brand awareness like he claims, how has that the been measured and substantiated?

He seems to have an opinion on everything except issues we would like raised like tax reform, superannuation and financial planning!

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Insofar as who paid for it, you can automatically presume CPA Australia if they are not prepared to be forthcoming when asked.
That's why I call Alex Malley the Kim Kardashian of Australian media - money can buy you fame if you have enough of it. Unfortunately it is not his money but ours.
Gerard Henderson uses the word 'media tart' to describe him which is perhaps just another synonym for it.
Call it what you will I tend to think the dictatorial control he is exhibiting to some of the legitimate questions being raised about CPA currently (particularly his scandalous salary last year) with tight controls at CPA Head Office shows he perhaps has a liking for the North Korean dictator, and why he can pontificate about him so much on TV.
Amazing really.
No wonder they demanded your member number!!

Drain_The_Swamp

Post by Drain_The_Swamp » Tue May 02, 2017 3:32 pm

sjc431 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm
that's the real point isn't it - the CPA logo isn't even on the ad, what a farce
True. If you didn't see it with your own eyes, you wouldn't have believed anyone could sign off on this spending.

Daniel001

Post by Daniel001 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 pm

CPA's - the laughing stock

please can we focus our energy on actually making a change.
speaking to other CPA's to get behind this change
so our membership body will cease being the laughing stock of the industry

If you have been searching for a job lately, then you'll notice that some jobs ads are leaving CPA's out entirely

I personally know many entry level CPA's that don't know how to do T accounts

This madness has to stop!! The greed and wickedness of the world is destrying the profession of Accountancy - because people like Malley are only concentrating on their own greed and not the greater good of the profession.
Stop spending on Marketing and start spending on engaging with your members and the perception of the CPA "brand" - and teaching T accounts again!!

John_Hughes_CPA

Post by John_Hughes_CPA » Wed May 03, 2017 10:16 am

There surely needs to be full disclosure of the amount of money spent on this wasteful splurge and a truly independent review carried out of the marketing benefit to the profession versus the marketing benefits to Malley's own brand.

I have used my own name on this forum as a CPA member of 20 plus years and I am appalled to be spending the amount of money I spend each year to promote the self-serving Naked CEO and to sponsor the tennis FFS!!!

The profession seriously needs to recapture control of CPA Australia and return it to the membership before it is too late.

The attempts to discredit Mr Stevenson for asking legitimate questions of the leadership are enough for me as an Auditor to sniff something rotten in the air - something VERY ROTTEN.

PaleoPete

Post by PaleoPete » Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 am

I remember attending the CPA Congress in Sydney in 2014 and thinking it was pretty dodgy for the CEO to be selling his book at the event. As a member since 1991, am I allowed to set up a stand and sell things there?
Last edited by PaleoPete on Wed May 03, 2017 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

JJF

Post by JJF » Wed May 03, 2017 10:58 am

Completely agree John!

Why can't we as members be told how OUR funds are being spent?

CPA Australia should have the same disclosure requirements as any ASX listed company.

What possible reason can there be for not disclosing Malleys remuneration?

PaleoPete

Post by PaleoPete » Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 am

The more I read about all of this, the sicker it makes me feel.

I've got better things to spend my money on than promoting some (probably wealthy) bloke and his media profile.

This is like a bad joke. I might not bother stumping up the $700 in December. Might take the kids on holidays instead and see a real return on that investment.

Accountability

Post by Accountability » Wed May 03, 2017 4:03 pm

Alex Malley - INFLUENCER?

LinkedIn announced its 2016 Power Profiles, lists of the most viewed professionals in Australia.
https://members.linkedin.com/power-prof ... 16/au/home

This year the most viewed (they are not ranked in order) CEOs include the below - I’ve visited them and recorded their followers:

2016 MOST VIEWED CEO’s Company Followers 2016
Cindy Hook Deloitte CEO 3,951
Andrew Penn Telstra CEO 22,140
Alan Joyce Qantas CEO 143,062
Brian Hartzer Westpac CEO 1,482
Ruslan Kogan Kogan Founder & CEO 167,983
Naomi Simson RedBalloon Founder 1,838,427
Giam Swiegers Aurecon Global CEO 6,075

2015 MOST VIEWED CEO’s Followers 2016
Matt Barrie 315,658
Andrew Penn 22,140
Craig McDonald 28,660
Leon Heydenrych 20,195
Richard Webb 18,798
Ruslan Kogan 167,983
Naomi Simson 1,838,427
Robert Rowe 4,864

A surprising absentee from these lists is The Naked CEO who boasts 486,286 followers!!
(despite CPA Australia only has a lowly 3,691 followers - surely money and effort in the wrong place?)

Of course, they’d be plenty of overseas followers but hey 486,286 followers out of 3,600,000 active users in Australia …. 10-14% really?
Are us accountants that interesting? as someone else mentioned the CEO of an accounting association should be a very boring job.....

Intuitively in the real world to have followers they would have to view you first –
And there is obviously only a small conversion from views to followers maybe 10-20% if I’m being generous.
That means at least 3-5m unique views over the past few years.

Thus, how did Alex not make this list? Would seem hard to believe Alex has less views than Brian Hartzer (who's that you say....) who clearly has no book or billboard and a lowly 1,482 followers!

Strange I hear you say …… particularly since CPA Australia is using the number of followers as justification of marketing spend…. And to give book back sleeve cred as ‘influencer’…

It would be great to get a complete vendor listing of all ‘marketing spend’ at CPA Australia. Anyone know how to run demographic checks on followers – would be great to know if there's a large chunk of followers from a country that doesn’t even have billboards...

Yep they could be from China. Or perhaps they're from Molvanîa (...remember the Land Untouched by Modern Dentistry?)