Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
nakedadmin
Site Admin

Re: Promoting Alex Malley, instead of CPA as an organisation

Post by nakedadmin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Is there an actual definition of linked in influencer? If so I'd like to know if Alex is actually an influencer and then get some copies of websites, emails etc where CPAA makes this claim.

It's like where they say in marketing material "more than 160,000 members" when they full well know it's currently less than 160,000. They may have had that as at 31 Dec but then people didn't pay the subscription so it's about 155,000 now. Some will say they should put an asterisk and say as at 31 Dec. Some say misleading. But for me if you say one thing and you know it's not true there is a simple term for it, it's a lie.
The Naked Webmaster

Accountability

Post by Accountability » Wed May 03, 2017 6:03 pm

"LinkedIn Influencers are selected by invitation only and comprise a global collective of 500+ of the world's foremost thinkers, leaders, and innovators. As leaders in their industries and geographies, they discuss newsy and trending topics such as the future of higher education, the workplace culture at Amazon, the plunge in oil prices, and the missteps of policymakers.

Note: The list of Influencers changes throughout the year. We regularly evaluate existing Influencers to include only the most engaged, prolific, and thoughtful contributors and to ensure that their expertise matches our members' interests. We no longer accept Influencer applications."

Personally I think the number of members is a mute point.
Even 155k is too many
CPA Australia shouldn't be inflating numbers by focusing on growing in Asia rather than serving existing members.

Anecdotally a major reason Chinese are seeking to be a CPA member is it's seen as a cheap way to boost the the pathway to migration.
Do CPAs want to cash in on that?

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:35 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjBtXk ... e=youtu.be

This is the best review of Malley's book I can find - check it out!

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I've noticed the billboards have NO MENTION of CPA Australia. Only Alex Malley's face and name.

And the website (nakedceo.com) has the CPA logo buried down the bottom.

This makes me so annoyed!

How do we remove the board??

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm
I've noticed the billboards have NO MENTION of CPA Australia. Only Alex Malley's face and name.

we really need to raise resolutions at an EGM and have the members vote for them

Heisenberg

Post by Heisenberg » Thu May 04, 2017 5:39 pm

sjc431 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:30 pm
Heisenberg wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm

we really need to raise resolutions at an EGM and have the members vote for them
Thanks. Count me in on that one!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu May 04, 2017 6:14 pm

This would be the real promotional video for the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kff7yvcP4

Alex gets out of elevator
Alex walks down corridor whilst telling someone something about a paper they are holding
Alex waves hands in front of obviously impressed uni students
Alex says "It's about a suspended schoolboy called Alex Malley who became a disruptive CEO"
Alex puts/writes something in a folder and gives it back to someone they look eternally grateful
Alex gets in taxi
Alex waves hands in front of obviously impressed uni students (again, it happens a lot)
Alex walks past opera house
(the order may not be exactly correct and is missing things)

Whoa! The inspiring story of a boy from the upper middle class that made it into the lower upper class.

Does anyone know what exactly is he disrupting?

Anyway I guess he will understand where we are coming from then.
The Naked Webmaster

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 6:14 pm
This would be the real promotional video for the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kff7yvcP4

Alex gets out of elevator
Alex walks down corridor whilst telling someone something about a paper they are holding
Alex waves hands in front of obviously impressed uni students
Alex says "It's about a suspended schoolboy called Alex Malley who became a disruptive CEO"
Alex puts/writes something in a folder and gives it back to someone they look eternally grateful
Alex gets in taxi
Alex waves hands in front of obviously impressed uni students (again, it happens a lot)
Alex walks past opera house
(the order may not be exactly correct and is missing things)

Whoa! The inspiring story of a boy from the upper middle class that made it into the lower upper class.

Does anyone know what exactly is he disrupting?

Anyway I guess he will understand where we are coming from then.
yes well done great critique!
tremendous!

DPopov

Post by DPopov » Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 pm

Firstly thank you Brett for speaking up and saying what we all have been thinking for a very long time. I too was at HQ about a month ago and was told that CPA had taken over the lease of the Coffee shop located in the foyer at Freshwater Place. Apparently staff get a 20% discount?? A competition was held to name the coffee shop which apparently is yet to be officially named. Perhaps all this attention has scared them...keep it up Brett.

The Board ought to be sacked for approving such blatant misuse of our funds. I'm a member of both bodies and no guess which membership will be lapsing come 31 December 2017.

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 pm

DPopov wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 9:02 pm
Firstly thank you Brett for speaking up and saying what we all have been thinking for a very long time. I too was at HQ about a month ago and was told that CPA had taken over the lease of the Coffee shop located in the foyer at Freshwater Place. Apparently staff get a 20% discount?? A competition was held to name the coffee shop which apparently is yet to be officially named. Perhaps all this attention has scared them...keep it up Brett.

The Board ought to be sacked for approving such blatant misuse of our funds. I'm a member of both bodies and no guess which membership will be lapsing come 31 December 2017.
it's such a shame that quitting the organisation is an option
i'd like to think that the members are able to effect change in an organisation that is meant to be run solely for their benefit, so it doesn't have to come to that
I think, rightly, Brett is steering the focus to what can be achieved within the bounds of the organisation's rules, most likely through moving and voting on resolutions at an extraordinary general meeting - the challenge will be gaining a critical mass of members who feel the same way and will vote accordingly, so communication amongst the membership is key, the issues really do 'sell themselves' and the compelling nature of these matters, I think, would be enough to create change if the general membership can be made aware of them in time
the least we should hope for is a sharp about turn by the leadership on who the organisation exists for, ie the poor old members!!

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 pm

This website has existed for only about 5 weeks. We've now got 276 members, 100 since the last email CPAA sent. We haven't even used the membership list yet. But personal contacts by phone or email to known contacts is best anyway.

We need to develop an information statement that people can use to give to others. I suggest that the open letter I wrote would be a start or ok to use. app.php/open-letter-to-cpaa

The Directors and Execs don't have much of a case, so far they are trying to keep it silent. So they cannot work on building support and if they try things like that last email happen. We've more got info coming in too.
The Naked Webmaster

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:22 pm

nakedadmin wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 10:14 pm
This website has existed for only about 5 weeks. We've now got 276 members, 100 since the last email CPAA sent. We haven't even used the membership list yet. But personal contacts by phone or email to known contacts is best anyway.

We need to develop an information statement that people can use to give to others. I suggest that the open letter I wrote would be a start or ok to use. app.php/open-letter-to-cpaa

The Directors and Execs don't have much of a case, so far they are trying to keep it silent. So they cannot work on building support and if they try things like that last email happen. We've more got info coming in too.
i'm trying to spread the word as much as possible, information statement would be tremendous!!
thanks for all your efforts so far!

Beancounter

Post by Beancounter » Fri May 05, 2017 8:46 pm

sjc431 wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 4:35 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjBtXk ... e=youtu.be

This is the best review of Malley's book I can find - check it out!
Classic!

FCA

Post by FCA » Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Attached - our mate Malley self promoting in Adelaide airport. Who is paying for the cost of this?
Attachments
20170427_201038.jpg
20170427_201038.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 2964 times

JJF

Post by JJF » Sat May 06, 2017 5:59 pm

The video is just cringe worthy, but the actual book is even worse. Just empty platitudes interspersed with worthless advice!

Has he ever run a large corporation?

As I said in another post, when Jack Welsh wrote his book on leadership while still at GE, GE did not pay for the book.

When Obama wrote his book The Audacity of Hope as a Senator from Chicago, the Congress (and US taxpayer) didn't foot the bill.

We've been told previously that CPA Australia owns the copyright and gets all the proceeds.

Can we as members at least be told the cost and the revenues its brought in?

I might be accused of racism for asking but given our member funds have paid for this and the Board is "representing" us it seems like a fair question.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sat May 06, 2017 7:22 pm

I just realised there's a whole separate website for the Führer's TV show:

https://www.inconversationwithalexmalley.com/

Wow.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 pm

FCA wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 5:21 pm
Attached - our mate Malley self promoting in Adelaide airport. Who is paying for the cost of this?
Pushing that 'from suspended schoolboy' bullshit is laughable; what'd he do again? Step out of school grounds... :lol:

Alex Malley, the bad boy of accounting... 8-)

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 pm

I fixed the image.
naked_ceo_billboard_Adelaide_mod.png
naked_ceo_billboard_Adelaide_mod.png (168.5 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
The Naked Webmaster

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sat May 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Alex 'The Fonz' Malley.jpg