Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

TV Ads

What kind of things would members actually want CPA Australia to focus on vs what are they actually doing
Magnet

TV Ads

Post by Magnet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:34 am

Noticed while watching the cricket last night on channel 9 that CPA have started running some tv ads again. Seemed to be the same ones as a few years ago.

I would also expect to see a heap of ads popping up on channel 7 over the next 2 weeks with the australian open starting today.

Money well spent!! :lol: :lol:

JWheldon

Re: TV Ads

Post by JWheldon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am

Did anyone hear who won the CPA tickets to the Australian Open that CPA Australia was advertising that members could win?

Maybe the winners of the tickets were the management team and select board members?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:10 am

The Naked Webmaster

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

JWheldon wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:07 am
Did anyone hear who won the CPA tickets to the Australian Open that CPA Australia was advertising that members could win?

Maybe the winners of the tickets were the management team and select board members?
I haven't received anything from CPA notifiying the winners of the competition.

The CPA website doesn't state who won either. Maybe the Board just thought we would forget??

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am

I think the CPA is not advising the members who are getting the corporate sponsorship tickets and the tickets to the Australian Open finals? Sounds like a CPA is trying to say they are providing the members with the corporate sponsorship tickets in this competition, but are they???

Have attached the information about the competition, and the tickets are only for the first week of competition. It appears they are keeping the finals tickets for themselves.

So how much Fringe Benefits Tax did CPA pay last year and how much have they been paying over the last 10 years?

The prize is:
a. two (2) tickets to the night session of Round 3 of the Australia Open on Saturday 20 January 2018 valued at
$395.80 inc GST;
b. two (2) return economy flights from your nearest Australian capital city to Melbourne Tullamarine airport
departing on Friday 19 January 2018 and returning on Sunday 21 January 2018 based on best fare of the
day (no substitute is offered to individuals who reside in Victoria) valued up to $1,500 inc GST;
c. two (2) nights’ twin share accommodation at The Langham Melbourne (check in Friday 19 January 2018,
checkout Sunday 21 January 2017) valued up to $840 inc GST;
d. return airport transfers from Tullamarine airport to The Langham Melbourne, or for individuals who reside
in Victoria, from their residential address to The Langham Melbourne up to a value of $100.00 inc GST each
way.
(together referred to as “the Prize”)
18. The total maximum value of the Prize is $2,935.80 (inc GST). There is a total of one (1) Prize. One (1) Prize will be
awarded to the Winner. The Prize is not transferable or convertible to cash or credit and cannot be sold.
19. The Prize has been provided by the Promoter.
20. The Winner will comply with all of the terms and conditions of the Prize.
21. If the Prize is unavailable, for any reason whatsoever, the Promoter reserves the right to substitute the Prize for a
Prize of equal or greater value, subject to State Regulation.
22. If a Winner does not accept the Prize or an element of the Prize at the time stipulated by the Promoter, then that
Prize or the element of that Prize will be forfeited by the Winner and the Winner will not be entitled and will not
receive another prize or incentive (including cash) in lieu.

Found this, but doesn't seem to be the winners of the relevant competition.

https://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/become- ... experience

Congratulations to Jozo Frankovic, winner of our Australian Open 2018 work experience placement.

Our 10 runners-up have each received a double pass to the Australian Open 2018 for Saturday 20 January.

Arlen Dabinett
• Bhavin Parshottam
• Gerald Chikwanda
• Mavia Tan
• Pooja Parshottam

• Raul Annedi
• Tobias Speck
• Vania Ariani
• Zak Robson
• Zhe Lim
Attachments
ao-member-ticket-terms.pdf
(861.67 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

Not_A_CPA

Post by Not_A_CPA » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm

JWheldon wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:38 am
Congratulations to Jozo Frankovic, winner of our Australian Open 2018 work experience placement.
CPA Program at its best, competition for work experience placement at the Aus Open. No offense to the winner but you can almost see the first day of work experience;

Mentor: Congratulations on winning the placement. What do you hope to achieve for yourself in the future?
CPA Winner: I want to do my best, be a proud CPA member and be a successful accountant.
Mentor: That's great son, see 'dem green ball things? Run and pick them up would you!

Off-topic, but I for one have not renewed my membership. Makes me feel good to know that I am not paying for any of this anymore :D

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Not_A_CPA wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Off-topic, but I for one have not renewed my membership. Makes me feel good to know that I am not paying for any of this anymore :D
Yes it is quite satisfying not paying for the adds anymore isn't it.

They are pushing the CPA Programme so hard in the adds when they really should be rebuilding the trust in the CPA brand. Obviously it's about building the revenue stream for the "business" rather than spending members subscription fees wisely. We all know how useless the marketing spend of Mr Malley was in expanding the membership..... Seems like the same old strategy, throw money at marketing without an analysis of the net benefits.

I don't see why they need to market the CPA programme anyway to what seems like non accountants. If you haven't got a job in the industry, you shouldn't be studying the CPA Programme. Making it more like the PY was, not sure if it still is, where you had to be working in the industry to do it would probably cut down failure rates as well. The CPA Programme should be hard to maintain standards. Disappointing it was sub contracted out to a private provider an some point in the past.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:26 pm

CPA Australia has posted this re it competition. They state below that it is to the Australian Open finals, but the terms of the competition say that the tickets are for the first week of competition on the 20 January 2018. So did the CPA management get tickets to the finals and keep those tickets for the board and management team??? Who got the use of the final tickets in the past????

AO2018 Finals Competition Winners

Congratulations to the competition winners who each receive a ticket to the Australian Open finals. The promotion was emailed to Australian and New Zealand members and Associate members on 7 December 2017. The winners were notified on 20 December 2017, with prizes to be claimed to 8 January 2018. All prizes have now been claimed by members.

1. C.Kang, VIC
2. R.Kohardy, VIC
3. M.Binning, VIC
4. H.Dang, VIC
5. M.Wilson, VIC
6. G.Butcher, VIC

7. A.Liu, NSW
8. S.Iep, NSW
9. F.Draper, WA
10. Z.Yu, NSW
11. S.Brindley, VIC
12. R.Cleghorm, NSW

13. D.Wong, VIC
14. S.Tan, NSW
15. P.Singh, NSW
16. J.Wang, VIC
17. J.Labib, VIC
18. B.Lee, NSW

19. D.Causerano, WA
20. K.Grimmon, VIC
21. H.Rawas, VIC
22. S.Woodcock, VIC
23. R.Adams, VIC
24. X.Wu, VIC
AO2018 VIP Experience winner

The promotion was emailed to Australian members and Associate members on 31 October 2017, 1 November 2017, and 15 November 2017. The winner was notified and their name published on the website on 20 November 2017.

1. M. Power, NSW

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 pm

It really like a be a Director for a day competition.
The Naked Webmaster

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Just came across this doozy of an article:

Is tennis failing to cash in on the ins and outs of advertising?

You might not have noticed, but our observant Lawrence Money points out some very serious revenue-raising opportunities that have been overlooked during the Australian Open:

It was in an early round of the CPA Australia Australian Open, telecast “live and free” by Seven – and it was just after Marta Kostyuk slammed a winning forehand past the Jacob’s Creek ad in the third set, sending the AO’s official Wilson ball bouncing off the Rolex time clock – that I first began to ponder the many advertising opportunities that were yet to be mined in tennis.

Read the whole thing: https://sportshounds.com.au/2018/01/27/ ... vertising/