Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

A Path For CPA Renewal - s249D Call for Members meeting and next steps

Key contributor Chris Catto topics for discussion
CPAwhatever

Re: A Path For CPA Renewal - s249D Call for Members meeting and next steps

Post by CPAwhatever » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Regardless of a gag order or not. When you are in the position of a DC you have a responsibility to bring such risks and issues to membership. You are a representative and this representation comes with responsibility.

So I would agree with Brett, I would not be so keen on divisional councillors and especially div presidents involved in this. However, I wouldn’t go to label them as anti “us”, so far they have been helpful in the change, even though not being leaders that are supposed to drive the change.

That said, a lot of users of this site are anonymous because they were worried about what CPAA might do to them in return for being active. Brett, was brave enough to lead the change and actually create some traction. Shows his deep knowledge and initiative, I would be more than happy to go ahead with what he thinks is the best approach.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:06 pm

There is a confidentiality agreement for CPA volunteers but it's apparently not as heavy handed as many people think. I con understand with an environment of intimidation that people may be cautious.

In relation to Divisions, I read in the AFR that the NSW Division gave the Directors an ultimatum that they cannot move forward with Malley and this was at least part of the reason that he was fired. I find it extraordinary and wrong that the Division would do this prior to engaging with it's members and I mean on a mass scale.

There has not been one email to the NSW division members about this. The idea that engaging with your members is turning up as discussion groups is wrong. They've got 10s of thousands of members. The standard line is if you don't like what's going on your opinion is worthless you need to volunteer and get involved. What a load of crap every member gets one vote.

There is still time for the Divisions to get on board. There is a spill motion started here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LMQZ775

Are the Divisions going to let their members know?

I'D HAVE A REALLY HARD TIME SUGGESTING THAT DIVISIONAL PRESIDENTS SHOULD GET APPOINTED AS DIRECTORS FROM A SPILL THEY REFUSE TO CIRCULATE.
The Naked Webmaster

Wendy Shelton

Post by Wendy Shelton » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Brett Stevenson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 am
We all have been apathetic and disinterested but those who were in positions of any form of representative position (divisions, committees etc) should have been more aware than the rest of us. Their silence up until the last week or is very telling to me.
I think the pro-Malley support cast runs pretty deep in our organisation. This gerrymander did not come from nowhere.
I agree.

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:16 pm

The State Presidents and Divisional Councillors etc all seem to had their voices silenced by non-disclosure agreements, except with the individuals who caused the problems.

That just reinforces the problem and the insult to the grass root members who tried to attend the AGM and face a wall of individuals blinded by their own power and personal goals. If this is a members organisation how are the grass roots members supposed to get involved and make a changes, when those in the high elected position, seem to be invisible. No disrespect intended to those elected officials, but it seems just like a bad union. A union where elected officials do not visit the grass roots members for whom are they supposedly respecting and take them all for granted, because they know they will pay their membership fees each year, which gives them the resources to spend it on NBL sponsorship, Tennis centre boxes, etc.

There are too many individuals, in too many positions within CPA Australia both at Head Office and at State levels who seem to be doing alot but few members know who they are.

The members do not get involved for a reason, which may because of the system put in place. When there are elections, most members have no idea who these individuals standing for election are, or what they stand for. Most of these individuals who are elected, may only be elected with a very small numbers of members to these elected positions. Where is the accountability for these individuals? They do not stand for election every four years. They do not have to justify to members what they have done, nor to they try to meet with the members to explain what is going on with the organisation. The grass roots members are left in the dark. They only get the CPA "IntheBlack" magazine and the "InPractice" magazine with very little relevant information. Nobody knows who the State Presidents are or how to contact them or what they stand for. Most members would not even know when the State Presidents were elected.

Are these State Presidents and other elected officials invisible?

There was a time when the states put out a newsletter to the members to advise them of what was going on, what the elected officials were doing and the issues. Now all you get is the HQ Voice.

Why don't these State Presidents try to stand up and do a job? The questions is why do the members need the State Presidents and all these elected offices, when all the information was provided from the Malley Centre HQ.

Public Practitioners have Peter Docherty - General Manage Public Practice, but is he responsible to any of the State Presidents. Is he really needed when there is the members of the Public Practice Committee? What do all these committees do? Are they just a waste of time and valuable resources, when the direction and strategy seems to come again from Central Command, Melbourne.

There needs to be change in structure of CPA and what these elected officials do and how they get in contact with the members. They need to stand up for their respective state members and inform those members, instead of letting HQ given them non-disclosure agreements. These elected officials have been silenced without even putting up a fight.

The terms of the elected officials needs to be changed back to a maximum of two terms, in order to provide fresh views and ideas. The CEO and other management team, need to have their pays cut and strategy on the education business of increasing numbers to help them get bonuses stopped. There is a glass bubble culture at CPA HQ Melbourne, with lots of YES managers and team members too afraid to put a different view across, because they will get fired.

When you have elected officials and management team who are in positions for so long, they get used to the position, lose focus and goals change, and think of their own personal wealth creation, instead of helping to make the organisation better.

Yes the members are angry. Yes the members have a right to be angry because we the members, the grass root members tired to do the right thing and go to the AGM and go to the monthly committee meeting and seek answers, but there were no answers to be provided, because the elected officials didn't do their jobs or try to look at the figures and force change.

The members had to become rebels and do the leg work and ask questions which was always in plain view, but those elected officials wanted to become board members and then so called President. So they just closed their eyes in order that they could get to the next step at CPA Australia. Lets not rock the boat, because then we lose everything. The large remunerations, the status of being a board member or status of being CPA President. This is totally wrong. Most members have no respect for these elected officials anymore and less for the so called CPA President. That position has been reduced to a joke. The President of CPA Australia should be a respected individual which all members can be proud of. Brett has shown more respect for CPA and the CPA members and stood up tall and displayed what the CPA President should be doing.

The State Presidents need to come to come together and act together. Then a board of individuals, where remunerations is not the central desire of the appointment, but the chance to serve and then a CPA President which all members can elect from nominations be appointed. Not 12 board members elect a President because this month the next President has to come from WA or from NSW or from QLD or from TAS or from VIC or Iceland.

The grass root members are left in the dark, because the system keeps them in the dark.

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:10 pm

Wendy Shelton wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm
Brett Stevenson wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 am
We all have been apathetic and disinterested but those who were in positions of any form of representative position (divisions, committees etc) should have been more aware than the rest of us. Their silence up until the last week or is very telling to me.
I think the pro-Malley support cast runs pretty deep in our organisation. This gerrymander did not come from nowhere.
I agree.
Brett, you're wrong in your attitude to elected reps. Your comment makes as much sense as saying all Americans are bad because they elected an orange bag of dicks as President. Our situation is far more nuanced than saying all elected reps are the problem and can't help. It varies widely, and we need to recognise as such, and use it to our advantage and to the benefit of our professional accreditation.

I'd like to address a number of comments in this thread because I am in a position to do so objectively.

Questions have been asked by councils for a few years now, but for me, the evidence to proceed with confidence wasn't on the table like it is now ( despite an earlier poster asserting , with the courage of hindsight, that "it was all in plain view") . I now feel my region was treated as mushrooms (kept in the dark and fed BS)...we certainly weren't aware of salaries and director fees for example, and the poor performance of CPA Advice has only just become obvious (I was on a board the year it launched, but not after), and , we were being told directly by management every year that sales and member growth targets were being met. Like most members, we liked to think our association was professionally run , and anyway, we didn't have a hand in day to day business operations to see for ourselves. We have challenged Alex about Naked from the perspective that it's "all about him" and were assured there is a handover plan in the event he isn't around (and that is something we should be demanding of Mr Awty right now - my suspicion is that it doesn't exist, but again like everything else, I have no proof). We vaguely knew the Board selection system , but it was another of those things shrouded in secrecy "for the confidentiality of the candidates" ....now we know better. Now, I am not based in Victoria, so distance does tend to be a barrier as well. We were even told we couldn't spend any money at all on providing drinks and nibbles for a quarterly members networking evening ....do you think we would have accepted that if we knew Malley was pocketing millions? Especially when we provide our own time voluntarily? ( which for me meant a 4 hour round trip to the city for every event and meeting)

For sure, like in any group of people, amongst the member reps there are sycophants, there are the disengaged, there are those with not much of a clue, and there are those who fully engage with the best of intentions. Other presidents in other regions may have enjoyed benefits I did not , or are closer to the "malley machine" and know more than I do. I know one president who is still sitting on the fence instead of enagaging members directly about recent events. And I know past reps who are so upset that they want to puke. Let's not denigrate the volunteer work of many reps, who selflessly promote our designation externally and help and coach our members, by taking a stance that says they are all part of the problem. I have spoken to past presidents who are onboard with this cause, signing up and donating money. They are a source of knowledge, they have productive relationships with lower level cpa staff who are not part of the problem, and they (including this one) are voluntarily providing ideas about areas to investigate.

As for comments about not engaging "grass roots" members, let me assure people it was an absolute bastard every year to try and get enough members to stand for election just so we had a quorum. Apathy doesn't begin to describe it. But here's another interesting revelation: as elected reps, we were always denied access to a list and contact details of our members . For "data protection" legal reasons, we were told. So we couldn't initiate contact , other than in a broadcast manner via the official CPA machinery - so it's not as if I could send an email from my own email address to the members. Now that might sound sinister, and maybe it is, but anyway I chose to get a regular update email sent via CPA to all our members when I was president. How many replies did I get, or requests to join me on LinkedIn ? Not one.

On the subject of NDA's - never crossed my mind. Do I think there are staff and presidents closer to HQ who are worried about their NDA ? Unfortunately, yes, I do.

This is not a situation any reasonable member Rep wanted, but the situation is what it is, and the member reps past and present are resources at your disposal. Some are unemployed contractors, others are c-level executives in large companies who have to balance their involvement here with their corporate position. We have a chance to use them wisely, let's not make the mistake of pissing on all of them in our anger.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 am

A very good post theallseeingeye. Sometimes I think this website should have a like button.
theallseeingeye wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:10 pm
As for comments about not engaging "grass roots" members, let me assure people it was an absolute bastard every year to try and get enough members to stand for election just so we had a quorum. Apathy doesn't begin to describe it.
Having elections is one thing but it needs to be an engaging election process.

Also I wonder how hard it would be to get an email out to the members on a Division by Division basis.
theallseeingeye wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:10 pm
And I know past reps who are so upset that they want to puke.
Yeah I can well imagine. Back in December paying my renewal was a no brainer and I would have never have entertained the idea of quitting. Now I am of the opinion if it's not fixed I'll quit and keep my integrity.
The Naked Webmaster

antiwarclan

Post by antiwarclan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you Chris Catto for writing this up.

If I may, I would like to address some comments and they are as follow:

In relation to the list of people suggested by Chris Catto, they are people who are or has held a position or being director in government entities, universities, large corporation or some ASX listed companies. There is no doubt about their experience and qualifications, however we need someone from the grassroot area such as members who are practising in suburbs. They are the people who know what are the challenges an accountant is facing in the daily professional life. We need a board of directors that listen to the members and know how it is like to be practising on your own and not a board full with directors who are partners in Big 4, CFO or director in large entities (what do these people know about practising in the suburbs providing advice to the public).

Also it will be good to have a board member who is an experienced Certified Fraud Examiner as they are people experienced in investigation and governance.

In relation to the representative council, I think we need to get rip of the two tier system as too many layers would only promote self agenda rather than interest of the people that elected them.

CPA Australia is an organisation that has members around the world. Can we not have a director from countries that has significant number of members. So that members from that region will be looked after. This will bring more talents and expertise to the Board does it?

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:23 am

Yeah I think if we just end up with Big 4 and ASX it's a mismatch to our brand's differentiation. Like it or not we are not the preferred designation for Big 4 or ASX so it does not make sense for these people to run it.
The Naked Webmaster

BrandIntegrity

Post by BrandIntegrity » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am

I appreciate all the CPA member informed suggestions and comments both on this website, by other dissident CPA groups, and individual CPAs in other forums and on social media regarding the path of renewal for CPA Australia (plans, process, people etc). I am proud to be an FCPA and of the integrity of those who are speaking up and working to effect change or have privately communicated their concern. I am particularly grateful to Brett, who was the first to speak publicly and had the courage to take the lead in the face of the risk of a very nasty, litigious opponent, and dedicated his personal time, marshalled support and provided this website.

It is encouraging to see members engaging in possible solutions for the terrible circumstance of our professional association is in. This has not happened overnight! Lots of members have been involved for some time in internal communications outlining concern regarding strategy, marketing, etc. All these have fallen on the collegiate Board and Executive 'tin ear', which built into a public movement & media fest.

The relative small quantum of member engagement has been part of the context that has allowed this situation to develop. The small number of votes at AGMs where constitutional change was on the agenda, as detailed by Brett on this website is an example. Changes to our constitution were passed on just over 100 votes, the cumulative impact of these changes allowed the 'takeover' and effectively dis-enfranchisd the membership. I was party to a national network of members who opposed the extension of Wade's term on the board to 11 years, which quietly collected over 200 'NO' PROXY VOTES. Wade was made aware of this initiative and, surprise .... there was a big jump in the number of votes recorded to over 400 and we were defeated!

The current active member involvement in these torrid times has increased. But, it is still relatively small as evidenced by the very credible sign-up to Brett's email list and Jen's Spill Motion. This is of concern in the current circumstance of press exposure, dissent group prominence and the profile of the topic in social media. I judge this to be indicative of a member culture that needs to be enhanced, to change. I do not believe that the type of cultural change required in our complex organisation will occur through osmosis, rather a concerted and ongoing project of cultural change in the total organisation (governance, management, members) is required.

Yes, we should have contemporary ON-LINE VOTING! But this will not of itself bring change to the culture of not voting.

Regarding the elected representatives, Divisional Council Presidents forming a board I too have reservations:
i) as a long serving Divisional Councillor and member of various committees, I judge this to be an area of governance that needs to refocus on the members that they represent. I vote in my council elections and I expect to be represented. I am aware of some recent 'confidential' initiatives however, it is too little too late. So, I expect this to be part of the cultural change required.
ii) Board membership requires the appropriate skills, probably more extensive and important in a period of transition.

i appreciate members putting forward their plans and views of who should be involved. Those on Chris' list are all worthy, so too the Naked Webmaster's and there are more, in my personal view plus those being compiled by other groups of concerned & engaged members.

The trust of members has been shredded, there is a leadership void.

Not surprisingly, we have a diversity of credible views, of individuals and groups.

BUT we all seek the RENEWAL OF CPA AUSTRALIA.
We require a return to:
* the integrity of our professional ACCOUNTING & business association;
* restoring the central focus to MEMBERS and member service;
* a suitable governance structure representing enfranchised members
* an organisation structure focussed on delivering reasonably priced member member service and fostering member engagement.
* fulfilling the requirements of our public licence as a 'profession' - knowledge, education, code of ethics and disciplinary process;
* transparency of the process of CPA serving the public interest
* appropriate changes to the Constitution.

AND, the removal of the remnants of the 'Malley Cabal' of Board members and Executive Management.

A FRESH START is our mutual goal.

* Keep our focus on our mutual goal to achieve the Renewal of CPAA, a stake in the ground for the future.
* acknowledge that none of us has the 'correct' answer,
* work together to get the outcome in a timely and orderly way.

A big challenge! One that passionate CPA members can achieve with selfless integrity to achieve our mutual goal.

Sincerely,

Marcia O'Neill FCPA, Past Board member (2001 - 2007), Past President Victoria Division
AKA BrandIntegrity

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 am

BrandIntegrity wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am
The relative small quantum of member engagement has been part of the context that has allowed this situation to develop.
Thanks, BrandIntegrity, I want to +1 or Like your whole comment.

In relation to all the changes required, we cannot fix it all from the outside. I think the best we can do is to get some new Directors in there and then keep our group going on the outside to keep those new Directors honest.

One of the things the new Directors will have to do is build the engagement and build an active and engaging voting process, where members are able to make an informed decision. Currently everything is confidential.

We still need to consider who will be the Directors at the close of the spill meeting. Any ideas?
The Naked Webmaster

Time4Change

Post by Time4Change » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:47 am

Will it be a good idea to have more independent directors sitting on our board as currently there were only 2 independent directors and we definitely need to have open door to our board of directors, because the Senior Executives report to the board, the board report to us voting members.

+1 Marcia, we will regain control of our association.

sjc431

Post by sjc431 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 pm

BrandIntegrity wrote:
I appreciate all the CPA member informed suggestions and comments both on this website, by other dissident CPA groups, and individual CPAs in other forums and on social media regarding the path of renewal for CPA Australia (plans, process, people etc). I am proud to be an FCPA and of the integrity of those who are speaking up and working to effect change or have privately communicated their concern. I am particularly grateful to Brett, who was the first to speak publicly and had the courage to take the lead in the face of the risk of a very nasty, litigious opponent, and dedicated his personal time, marshalled support and provided this website.

It is encouraging to see members engaging in possible solutions for the terrible circumstance of our professional association is in. This has not happened overnight! Lots of members have been involved for some time in internal communications outlining concern regarding strategy, marketing, etc. All these have fallen on the collegiate Board and Executive 'tin ear', which built into a public movement & media fest.

The relative small quantum of member engagement has been part of the context that has allowed this situation to develop. The small number of votes at AGMs where constitutional change was on the agenda, as detailed by Brett on this website is an example. Changes to our constitution were passed on just over 100 votes, the cumulative impact of these changes allowed the 'takeover' and effectively dis-enfranchisd the membership. I was party to a national network of members who opposed the extension of Wade's term on the board to 11 years, which quietly collected over 200 'NO' PROXY VOTES. Wade was made aware of this initiative and, surprise .... there was a big jump in the number of votes recorded to over 400 and we were defeated!

The current active member involvement in these torrid times has increased. But, it is still relatively small as evidenced by the very credible sign-up to Brett's email list and Jen's Spill Motion. This is of concern in the current circumstance of press exposure, dissent group prominence and the profile of the topic in social media. I judge this to be indicative of a member culture that needs to be enhanced, to change. I do not believe that the type of cultural change required in our complex organisation will occur through osmosis, rather a concerted and ongoing project of cultural change in the total organisation (governance, management, members) is required.

Yes, we should have contemporary ON-LINE VOTING! But this will not of itself bring change to the culture of not voting.

Regarding the elected representatives, Divisional Council Presidents forming a board I too have reservations:
i) as a long serving Divisional Councillor and member of various committees, I judge this to be an area of governance that needs to refocus on the members that they represent. I vote in my council elections and I expect to be represented. I am aware of some recent 'confidential' initiatives however, it is too little too late. So, I expect this to be part of the cultural change required.
ii) Board membership requires the appropriate skills, probably more extensive and important in a period of transition.

i appreciate members putting forward their plans and views of who should be involved. Those on Chris' list are all worthy, so too the Naked Webmaster's and there are more, in my personal view plus those being compiled by other groups of concerned & engaged members.

The trust of members has been shredded, there is a leadership void.

Not surprisingly, we have a diversity of credible views, of individuals and groups.

We require a return to:
* an organisation structure focussed on delivering reasonably priced member member service and fostering member engagement.
* fulfilling the requirements of our public licence as a 'profession' - knowledge, education, code of ethics and disciplinary process;

AND, the removal of the remnants of the 'Malley Cabal' of Board members and Executive Management.

* Keep our focus on our mutual goal to achieve the Renewal of CPAA, a stake in the ground for the future.

A big challenge! One that passionate CPA members can achieve with selfless integrity to achieve our mutual goal.

Sincerely,

Marcia O'Neill FCPA, Past Board member (2001 - 2007), Past President Victoria Division
AKA BrandIntegrity
Thanks Marcia, what a great wrap up of where things sit, I agree with your sentiments and counsel wholeheartedly
Christopher Stevens CPA

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Yes thanks Marcia it is good summary and advice.
We will need to force the spill because Dickson Wade Awty and others are entrenched in the trough... and will not pull their snouts out until they are kicked out.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:52 pm

BrandIntegrity wrote:
+1 for your whole post, but this issue you mentioned resonates strongly with me.

The fact that we already have more names signed on for the spill motion than seemingly participated in voting for constitutional changes (in aggregate) speaks volumes to me, especially when we've had lots of roadblocks put up while trying to communicate with members on this. And the Board's decision to ignore it is a disgrace.

It's clearly evident that the terms of the constitution are stacked against ordinary members: they only needed 100 votes to effect (detrimental) constitutional changes but we need 6,000 members just to call a bloody meeting? And they have direct access to the membership's email inbox while we do not.

The playing field needs to be levelled.

If it takes 6,000 members to call a meeting then it should also take 6,000 votes to push through constitutional change.

While what has/is happening might be within the law, anyone who cannot see this is not ethically/morally correct should not be in a leadership position at a not-for-profit professional member association, at the very least.

passedfc

Post by passedfc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 pm

yes angry angry angry... while this forum allows some venting ... when we see the articulate common sense put down in words by people like Marcia , we know there is hope for the organisation.
The ***&&%%%%% ### people ... Dickson and crew who hang onto the vestiges of the bad CPA it just amazes anyone who follows the rotten situation that they can remain... how can they justify their position..>????

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:43 pm

With due respect to some of the past presidents and elected officials who did try to run the organisation with the good intentions, but the accountability has been lacking within the organisation. The state presidents should have been able to review detailed accounts and then take action when serious issues arose. The general members ask questions and are given a lot of creative accounting.

The AGM system is a sham. It is not currently a way for the members to engage and ask questions about the financials, but an unfortunate procedure that the board has to do. The board of Graeme Wade, Richard Petty, Jim Dickson etc, would rather not have an AGM, given the poor disclosure in the annual financial accounts and the numerous questions that would be asked from the accountant members, and the inability to answer those questions. The auditor does not provide any report to the members, nor do they answer questions, because the meeting are so short. Articles are been previously written over many years, that support the position that the traditional procedure of the AGM are outdated and disengage the intended users. The AGM should be an opportunity to cross examine the board and have them answer the questions and present a case to the members, if they are found to be telling untruths to the members, then they should be held accountable. The board should stay at the AGM until all questions are answered and all interstate members are able to view and ask questions at the AGM, not the current rubber stamp AGM, currently run by the CPA Australia board.

The financial accounts presented to the members are a good case study, of how a minimum complying set of accounts, use very outdated and extremely poor accounting standards, have been able to hide the truth. It may be even said that a form of creative art accounting, with a creative cut and paste here and there has been used. Now the financial accounts are set to be even more concise or consolidated. This is not acceptable for a not-for-profit entity. Where is the accountability to the intended users????

Adam Awty is supposed to be the CFO, and the COO, so why hasn't he been held accountable for the bad management of CPA Australia and CPA Advise?????? Well maybe he and the management team will get another bonus for the 2017 year, because as Alex Malley advised, the team got a bonus, each year in the past 7 years????

The voting system for the AGM is also terrible. You complete a proxy form, which gives the board the power to use that vote. The members should be given the opportunity to complete the proxy form and vote directly for or against the financial accounts presented or the agenda put to the members. This is does not happen. The system favors the board in power.

Then there is the audit process, which again has been a dramatic failure. So many examples of not-for profit going wrong with financial mismanagement and even illegal actives, such as with HSU and Michael Williamson, but the auditor is no-where to be seen. There has been articles which raise the need for forensic audits against traditional audits.

https://www.bonadio.com/news-events/art ... itanalysis

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/forensic ... 25409.html

Overall since 2009, the systems in place at CPA have been established to disengage the members and place power in the hands of a very very very small few, who are accountable to no-one expect themselves.

aceone

Post by aceone » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:40 pm

We require a return to:
Thank you Marcia O'Neill AKA BrandIntegrity for writing these words - because you have shown me that my moral and professional compass hadn't lost its way...I had been wondering for a couple of years.

Also thanks to the "Former CPA Australia leaders demand EGM and spill of remaining board positions" report by Stephen Letts on ABC at cpamembers.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=456 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-13/a ... gm/8704508 for exactly the same reasons.
Tracey Jones (right now, I'm too embarrassed to admit that I'm a fully paid up member), B.Mgt, M.Acc, DFP
CTC Taxation & Accounting Services Pty Ltd
Sorell Tas 7172