Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

12th Feb 2018. The rort continues. Joe Aston column today

Brett Stevenson

12th Feb 2018. The rort continues. Joe Aston column today

Post by Brett Stevenson » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:26 am

I hardly need to add commentary to Joe Astons article in todays AFR on the continuing saga at CPA.
When will this charade ever end?
Somehow whenever people get into leadership positions at CPA Australia they seem to remove from their vocabulary all those words like common sense, and the reasonable person, and common decency, and doing the right thing.
Maybe there is something in the tea and coffee they serve them at the leadership meetings (be they board or management.

Whatever it is, it's not pretty. Nor is it good.
Attachments
12th Feb 2018.pdf
(270.45 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

Magnet

Re: 12th Feb 2018. The rort continues. Joe Aston column today

Post by Magnet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 am

Great to see the AFR still keeping the pressure on the board!!

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am

This great book reveals how the game is played.......

Game of Mates.GIF
Game of Mates.GIF (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

Game of Mates tells a tale of economic theft across major sectors of Australia’s economy, showing how James and his group of well-connected Mates siphon off billions from the economy to line their own pockets. In property, mining, transport, banking, superannuation, and many more sectors, James and his Mates cooperate to steal huge chunks of the economic pie for themselves. If you want to know how much this costs the nation, how it is done, and what we can do about it, Game of Mates is the book for you.

https://tinyurl.com/yctns33l

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am

This is also of interest. Maybe some of the past CPA Australia directors and CEO need to be referred to police for investigation?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-12/n ... we/9421656

NSW RSL inquiry report recommends disgraced former president Don Rowe be referred to police
By Nicole Chettle

An independent inquiry has recommended disgraced former News South Wales RSL president Don Rowe be referred to police for investigation.

The State Government today released the report by former Supreme Court judge Patricia Bergin after a year-long investigation that wrapped up in November.

The inquiry heard evidence Mr Rowe spent $475,000 on a corporate credit card over a six-year period, including $213,000 in cash withdrawals.

There was evidence his son used a presidential suite at a four-star Sydney hotel for seven years. The room was paid for by the RSL.

The inquiry also heard Mr Rowe used his corporate credit card to cover meals, mortgage repayments, mobile phones and flights for family members during his 11-year tenure.

More to come.

RSL inquiry finding to be referred to police
9 February 2017, The Australian by Sid Maher and Andrew Clennel

A public inquiry into the operations of the NSW RSL branch is understood to recommend referring former president Don Rowe to police for investigation.

The report of the inquiry headed by former Supreme Court judge Patricia Bergin has been handed to the NSW government and is expected to be considered by cabinet next week.

Sources confirmedthat one of the recommendations was a referral of Mr Rowe to police. The government is likely to publicly release the report next week.

In evidence before the inquiry last year, it emerged Mr Rowe had stayed in the “presidential suite” of a Sydney hotel and allowed his son to use it for seven years even though the room was being paid for by the RSL.

The inquiry also heard Mr Rowe charged lavish meals, flights for family members, exorbitant supermarket bills and mortgage repayments to his corporate credit card throughout his 11-year reign.

Mr Rowe, who quit in November 2014 citing health issues, told the inquiry that staff at the NSW branch of the Returned and Services League told him a “presidential suite” at the four-star Hyde Park Inn had been made available for his use “as I saw fit”.

Mr Rowe said one of his sons stayed at the apartment over a period of seven years, and that on at least one occasion he used his RSL credit card to pay for his daughter to stay in the room when he was not there.

Mr Rowe apologised to the inquiry and took personal responsibility for the failings of RSL NSW during his tenure. “I apologise to staff, to members of the wider RSL family and to the public who have donated money. I recognise ... the achievements of the RSL and RSL LifeCare have been overshadowed by many failings, including my own.’’

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation ... 9076d34eda

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am

Some people have criticised me for not renewing this year , but frankly Joe’s latest missive is exactly what I thought would happen, and I don’t want to be professionally associated with this any longer.. I am glad he has picked up on a point I have made previously - CPA is a relatively low risk business , yet the rewards still don’t reflect this. Also, lengthy board terms are a clear and present danger, and they’ve already backflipped like an Olympic gymnast on that one.

The other thing that annoys me is the continued lack of transparency and perhaps deliberate obfuscation , this time around directors duties. Okay, so they spoke to lawyers and were told no grounds for legal action. Fine. On what topics? We don’t know. But it’s easy to engineer an easy life as a new Chairman by asking a question with a narrow scope, where the answer will always be “no” . Is this what happened? Never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to, isn’t that the first rule of cross examination ? So we members have no idea what this “no” covers. What about travel expenses ? What about related party transactions? Has any forensic work been done to even know if we have a directors duty issue in these areas? How was the Company Secretary doing his duty when we have no Board minutes of key material decisions such as a 3 year termination payout for Malley? How was the Remuneration Committee doing its duty when they produced no analysis of CPA Advice salaries, instead the figures were plucked out of the air by the CEO and rubber stamped ?

Perhaps some disclosure here would be a worthy motion to put to the AGM ?

Steve Hamilton

Post by Steve Hamilton » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

theallseeingeye wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am
Some people have criticised me for not renewing this year , but frankly Joe’s latest missive is exactly what I thought would happen, and I don’t want to be professionally associated with this any longer..
I'm with you all the way on that one. That's why I didn't renew. The prevailing attitude at board level hasn't really changed from the old board.
Give as little as possible in an attempt to quieten the vocal minority, but otherwise business as usual, roll on the gravy train!!!!.

Also the CPA Advice mess continues with no resolution. The new PSC Scheme seems like a disaster, but no idea if they are shutting CPA Adv down.

I'm still keeping over the issue as an interested observer, my blood pressure is lower now as well. I can watch the TV and not get upset when the CPA Programme adds come on....I'm not paying for them anymore.

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:05 pm

I completely agree allseeingeye and Steve Hamilton.
It’s such s pity we lost good members like you both.
Am just drafting an alternative governance model to share around but would appreciate both of your feedback as you have been such stalwart members to expose all this.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 pm

theallseeingeye wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:02 am
The other thing that annoys me is the continued lack of transparency and perhaps deliberate obfuscation , this time around directors duties. Okay, so they spoke to lawyers and were told no grounds for legal action. Fine. On what topics? We don’t know. But it’s easy to engineer an easy life as a new Chairman by asking a question with a narrow scope, where the answer will always be “no” . Is this what happened? Never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to, isn’t that the first rule of cross examination ? So we members have no idea what this “no” covers. What about travel expenses ? What about related party transactions? Has any forensic work been done to even know if we have a directors duty issue in these areas? How was the Company Secretary doing his duty when we have no Board minutes of key material decisions such as a 3 year termination payout for Malley? How was the Remuneration Committee doing its duty when they produced no analysis of CPA Advice salaries, instead the figures were plucked out of the air by the CEO and rubber stamped ?
I'm feeling that part of the reason they're going this way on it is because the whole organisation might implode if they dig too deep.

theallseeingeye

Post by theallseeingeye » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Why did the old board see the need to rush through a clause right before their term ended last year, a clause allowing for CPA Advice directors to have their legal fees covered by CPA Australia ? Is this because they could see grounds for legal action related to directors duties? Everyway you look at CPA, there’s smoke, and Peter and the IRB keep saying there’s no fire...

I agree Nude CPA , it’s always been my contention that we haven’t seen all of it.

The Nude CPA

Post by The Nude CPA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:41 pm

theallseeingeye wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:18 pm
Is this because they could see grounds for legal action related to directors duties?
Absolutely.

Talk about self-interest.

certified sane

Post by certified sane » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:15 pm

I am with you all the way theallseeingeye and Steve Hamilton and left with similar feelings.

I am concerned no member resolutions put forward for the AGM will get air time. They will be deemed defamatory/against constitution/against law/etc by the board or buried deep into a ridiculously long and fluffy agenda which is stacked with reams of meaningless crap to dissuade all but the rabid member.

Anyone remember the first CPA release from May 2017 about KMP remuneration? What percentage of members who didn't know why it was sent get through all 31 and 3/4 pages of crap out of the 32 page document? Less than 1% would be my estimate.

They couldn't lie straight in bed then; and still can't now.

I hope I am wrong!

JWheldon

Post by JWheldon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm

I would encourage members to attend the AGM.

The AGM is normally completed within an hour. Twenty minutes of listening to the chairman/president read a speech best described as marketing speak and then completed with the answering of a a few questions, if any, because few can attend the Melbourne AGM from interstate, due to work demands. The board does not spend time re-reading the issues, but has to put the resolutions to vote. If their are five different resolutions, then are are five different votes for or against the resolution. It can not be buried. The resolutions and documents relating to those resolutions would have been supplied with the annual accounts, so that an informed decision can be made at either the AGM or via a proxy vote.

Any resolution to forward so amend the current voting system.

The proxy system needs to change, so that the proxies are not given to the board for them to use. This just works in their favour.

Again, I would encourage resolutions to be put forward.

The AGM has been attended by so few in past year, possibly because the board did not feel it important to find ways to encourage members to attend, or possibly because it was the way they wanted it, so that they could force through their own changes with little or few problems, as done in the past.

I would encourage all young CPA members to attend the AGM. and ask questions. Don't forget that their question, if asked, may be the same questions that another young CPA wants to asked, but doesn't get the chance to ask. This is their time to meet the movers and shakers and ask questions and be heard. Don't be afraid to get involved, as most of the board generally welcome the young members involvement.