Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

email from NSW Divisional Council

Discussion about the proposed resolutions to be put to the AGM in May 2018
Stomper

email from NSW Divisional Council

Post by Stomper » Fri May 04, 2018 8:15 am

Dear NSW members

I hope you are all well. The AGM is fast approaching (Tuesday May 22nd 2018 at 5.30pm Melbourne time). This year you are being asked to vote on 14 resolutions that will determine CPA Australia’s future direction.

Please make your vote count. Your options are:

​a) appoint the Chair as your Proxy and either direct your voting preference or give an undirected Proxy,

b) appoint me as your Proxy and direct your voting preference as I will be there,

c) appoint another person as your Proxy, or

d) be there yourself. Venue: Plenary 3, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, 1 Convention Centre Place, South Wharf Victoria 3006)

Proxy forms must be lodged with Link Market Services by no later than 5:30pm AEST on 20 May 2018. For further information about the AGM or the lodgement of proxy forms please call the CPA Australia AGM Information line on 1300 306 230 (within Australia) or +61 1300 306 230 (outside Australia). The Information line is being supported by Link Market Services.

If you have any questions in relation to your CPA Australia Membership please contact the CPA Australia on 1300 73 73 73 (within Australia) or +61 3 9606 9677 (outside Australia).

Please click here for Frequently Asked Questions.

Kind regards

Shabnam Amirbeaggi
​NSW Divisional President
I have just one question......

As our representatives, which resolutions will our Councilors be supporting and why?

Brett Stevenson

Re: email from NSW Divisional Council

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

I totally agree Stomper.
I have just sent off n email to Shabnam as our Divisional President to let us know how she, as presumably representing the views of the NSW Divisional Council, will be voting on these issues.
They cannot, with any integrity anyway, collect proxies if they do not tell us how they will vote on the resolutions.

Clogs

Post by Clogs » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 pm

Just received similar e-mail from WA Divisional Council.
Dear WA Members

I hope you are all well. The AGM is fast approaching (Tuesday May 22nd 2018 at 5.30pm Melbourne time). This year you are being asked to vote on 14 resolutions that will determine CPA Australia’s future direction.

Please make your vote count. Your options are: -

a) appoint the Chair as your Proxy and either direct your voting preference or give an undirected Proxy,
b) appoint me as your Proxy and direct your voting preference as I will be there,
c) appoint another person as your Proxy, or
d) be there yourself. Venue: Plenary 3, Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, 1 Convention Centre Place, South Wharf Victoria 3006).

Proxy forms must be lodged with Link Market Services by no later than 5:30pm AEST on 20th May 2018. For further information about the AGM or the lodgement of proxy forms please call the CPA Australia AGM Information line on 1300 306 230 (within Australia) or +61 1300 306 230 (outside Australia). The Information line is being supported by Link Market Services.

If you have any questions in relation to your CPA Australia Membership please contact the CPA Australia on 1300 73 73 73 (within Australia) or +61 3 9606 9677 (outside Australia).

Please click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Kind regards

Dale Pinto FCPA
2018 President
WA Divisional Council
wa.president@cpaaustralia.com.au
Already have given my proxy to someone else. However, the first question anyone should ask before appointing Dale Pinto as their Proxy is "which resolutions does Dale Pinto support". Guess similar e-mail went out from all Divisional Councils.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:14 pm

How is it that these emails are the same? Could it be that they board wrote them? I thought these divisional councils were supposed to represent us not the board!
The Naked Webmaster

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm

I've heard from credible sources that <A Divisional President> was telling people at the Women on Boards meeting that if they are unsure of how to vote they should give an undirected proxy to the chair :evil:
The Naked Webmaster

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 pm

I think you can take it that the board have asked the divisional presidents to send these standard letters out to the members.
Word perfect, and these divisional presidents want us to think they have our interests at heart and are genuine.
Can any of the members in other states send in examples from their divisions.
This is a disgrace.
The divisions have been holding themselves out to be our voices, yet here they are just echoing the words of the board.
Not a peep out of any of them on what they think.
This is a tricky email as many would understand a directed proxy to mean just direct the proxy to the Chair as opposed to the very specific ‘legal’ or ‘technical’ meaning of proxies where the directions (votes) on each resolution are made.
In other words the divisions will be saying the only want proxies where the members have directed their votes on each resolution (directed proxies in the technical sense) while most members will take it as directing proxies to them.
Crikey was have a leadership at both board and divisional level that is just as tricky as before.
Unbelievable.

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am

email 10 May 2018

NSW DIVISION

Dear valued member,

It’s time to get involved and VOTE.

On behalf of the NSW Divisional Council, I would like to again express the importance of each member getting engaged in the upcoming AGM to be held in Melbourne on
22 May 2018.

Voting is a personal preference for each member. The NSW Divisional Council (as individual members) have a variety of views on the 14 Board and Member Resolutions put forward.

Every member is encouraged to read the Notice of Meeting and Explanatory Memorandum accompanying each of the 14 resolutions to form your view and cast your vote.

If you are unable to attend the AGM, you can cast your vote by proxy and lodge it by no later than 5:30pm on 20 May 2018. To vote by Proxy, you can: -

1) Give a Directed Proxy by selecting ‘for’, ‘against’ or ‘abstain’ against each resolution on the proxy form. You will need to nominate someone to be your proxy (e.g. the chair or anyone else who will be there). A Directed Proxy means that the nominated person must vote under your instructions as selected on the proxy form.

2) Give an Undirected Proxy by nominating someone to be your proxy (e.g. the chair or anyone else who will be there) to cast a vote at their discretion on the day. This means that the nominated proxy will vote with their personal preference on the day.

Proxy Forms must be submitted by no later than 5:30pm on 20 May 2018. Please click here for Frequently Asked Questions.

Members can also register for a Webinar with the Company Secretary on Friday 11 May, 2.00pm - 3.00pm.

Thank you for getting involved and voting.

Kind regards

Shabnam Amirbeaggi FCPA
​NSW Divisional President
This is the money quote "Voting is a personal preference for each member. The NSW Divisional Council (as individual members) have a variety of views on the 14 Board and Member Resolutions put forward. "

Stomper

Post by Stomper » Fri May 11, 2018 10:43 am

I've emailed Divisional Council because I don't believe this statement to be true

2) Give an Undirected Proxy by nominating someone to be your proxy (e.g. the chair or anyone else who will be there) to cast a vote at their discretion on the day. This means that the nominated proxy will vote with their personal preference on the day.

It should read

2) Give an Undirected Proxy by nominating someone to be your proxy (e.g. the chair or anyone else who will be there) to cast a vote at their discretion on the day. This means that the nominated proxy will vote with their personal preference on the day. The chair will vote for resolutions 1-4 and against resolutions 5-14 as per the notice of meeting.

I also suggested that they encourage all members that are seeking proxies to declare their voting intentions in the event those proxies are undirected.

Red_Ferrari

Post by Red_Ferrari » Fri May 11, 2018 10:51 am

Nothing surprises me anymore.

These dudes did nothing constructive last year, so why should these mushrooms do anything constructive this year.