Merry Christmas to Peter Wilson. When it was suggested that Peter Wilson should be independent of the old board so that we can have a fresh start Peter responded with "That's your issue". Summary of the meeting here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=594
A good summary of where we are up to by Joe Aston of the AFR, linked to from here: viewtopic.php?f=5&p=4137#p4137
If you are new to this website read the story so far: viewtopic.php?t=321#p1793
Check out some of the AFR articles, too many to list and check out some of the ABC reports: http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 215-h055ej http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 211-h02x1d http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/the ... s,/8626662
Please join this website to participate in discussions. Also join our email list at http://eepurl.com/cWsgfb

How to vote in AGM 2018? If I can't attend in person?

Discussion about the proposed resolutions to be put to the AGM in May 2018
kikicatok

How to vote in AGM 2018? If I can't attend in person?

Post by kikicatok » Fri May 04, 2018 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new here,
After received the materials about 2018 AGM I found this forum,
Through I never vote for over 10 years, I think this time is different.
Because I am not happy that the new board didn't ask Alex to pay the money back.

As I am based in Sydney and couldn't able to attend the AGM in person,
Could you plz advice how to vote this time?

I have lodged into www.cpaaustralia.com.au/agm and select "appoint a proxy",
The first page asks me to vote on the resolutions,
and the second page asks me to appoint a proxy.
What's the difference?
Does it means that If I have filled all the voting preference on the first page, then it doesn't matter that who is my proxy? As all the preferences has been provided?
Or, If I appoint a proxy, then the proxy can override my choices? The default setting on the page is to appoint the Chair as the proxy?

Thanks a lot

Brett Stevenson

Re: How to vote in AGM 2018? If I can't attend in person?

Post by Brett Stevenson » Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Yes, proxies can be confusing because of the wording.
Proxies are for members who cannot attend but wish to have a say.
When appointing a proxy you have two options
1. give them a directed proxy which means you vote on each resolution and they are effectively lodging that on your behalf.With a directed proxy it really doesn't matter who you give your proxy to so long as you know they will attend. This is where misunderstandings arise because when the words directed proxy occurs it has the quite specific meaning that you have directed your proxy how to vote.
2. The second option is to give your proxy an undirected proxy which means they can decide how to vote on each of the resolutions for you. In other words you appoint the proxy and leave the votes on each resolution unmarked.
Clearly the second one is where you need to think carefully because your proxy is not just making sure your vote is lodged but they actually make the decision on how you vote on each resolution.

So, in terms of your question, the first page is asking do you want to decide how to vote on each resolution (directed) or do you want to leave up to the proxy (undirected).
The second page is asking who you want to assign to be your proxy. If page one is directed then doesn't really matter but if it is undirected then it is important you assign a proxy you trust and agree with.

Hope that helps.

nakedadmin
Site Admin

Post by nakedadmin » Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 pm

If you vote YES or NO to all resolutions the proxy cannot override that. If you choose undirected the proxy can choose.

DO NOT appoint the Chair as proxy AND choose undirected. That is a vote for the board proposed resolutions and AGAINST any other resolutions.

I recommend you vote against resolutions 1-4 and for the other resolutions.

There are 2 proposals for how to appoint a director. Resolutions 8 and 9 and I'd suggest backing one or both. Have a read and decide your preference.

Other proxies that you can appoint are:

Brett Stevenson
Jen Dalitz
Glen Hasselman
Andrew North

These people have been active in advocating for change. Also have a look at the website www.cpagas.org
The Naked Webmaster

Magnet

Post by Magnet » Thu May 10, 2018 2:26 pm

How is the voting done in person at the AGM??

I have never attended before but plan to do so this year.

Are votes cast electronically and confidentially?? Or are there ballot papers?

Brett Stevenson

Post by Brett Stevenson » Thu May 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi Magnet, have a look at the Frequently Asked Questions with the Notice of AGM on the CPA website.
It is pretty clear and helpful on the voting process including on the night.
If you attend in person you will receive a voting card when you register at the AGM.
Cheers
Brett